1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Vox] [wuhan] many believe conspiracy theory about a lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Some of you ****s would prefer a war with China than to accept the fact that your president **** the bed on this one.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Remember how WWII started? People who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why do some of you keep confusing "came from a lab" vs "designed in a lab". None of the reasonable theories out there suggested this virus was created intentionally.

Yes, its completely plausible the virus was brought into a lab to be studied and accidentally released (or even intentionally).

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

We do send chicken for processing and most of tilapia comes from there. Never heard of us shipping pork or beef though.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This is how Pew phrased the question:

From what you've seen or heard, do you think it's most likely the current strain of the coronavirus....

Choice 1 - Came about naturally
    Choice 2 - Was made in a lab
    (choice 2a- developed intentionally, choice 2b- made accidentally)

There is no choice of "came from a lab". Someone that might think it's natural but was accidentally released from the lab have no good choice to choose from.

6. conquistador#11

It would be dumb to dismiss anything and trust any government but oddly enough many of the 'conservative' shows or 'news' are running with this. It's basically the magical caravans that take off during election time.

7. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Thank you for posting the article. I suppose it is possible, but that article says that the US government hasn’t been able to find any corroborating evidence for that theory as of now.

And as to the “why is it viewed as a partisan issue” question, the article also stated that the theory is being pushed by supporters of the president, who are eager to deflect criticism from the president’s handling of the pandemic. That seems to be partisan to me.

I also believe it is a partisan issue because left leaning people tend to have a negative view of how the president has handled the crisis, with the opposite generally being true of right leaning people. In this instance, conservatives seem to be trying to blame China for the US being in this mess. And surely China deserves a lot of the blame. But as a left leaning person, I don’t see why it matters whether the virus jumped from animal to human or was mistakenly released from a lab. China obviously should have handled this better regardless. How the virus was released or came to be doesn’t change that.

However, even if the virus was accidentally leaked from a lab that was studying it, it doesn’t change how Trump should have responded. His administration downplayed this virus, even though a few weeks ago he himself said that he knew all along it would be an epidemic, and wasted valuable time that could have been used to prepare for this thing. He of course also disbanded the part of the government that could have caught this thing early, has shirked all responsibility for helping states (unless they are nice to him) and continues to try to have campaign rallies at daily press briefings that should be used to give valuable information to the American public.

Now his supporters are pushing a theory that so far has no evidence to back it up seemingly as a way to deflect criticism from Trump. That is why it is viewed as a partisan issue.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Which is why poll results (specifically people quoting poll results) are absolutely useless unless the exact questioning is included in the results.

Opinion polls like this should never happen coming from a professional polling organization. Idle gossip and opinions do not trump facts. Very few people have taken the time to sift through all the garbage to even begin to form a reasonable opinion.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

or purposely don't want to understand it

"This is strong evidence that SARS-CoV-2 is not the product of purposeful manipulation."
    "the evidence shows that SARS-CoV-2 is not a purposefully manipulated virus"
    "all notable SARS-CoV-2 features, including the optimized RBD and polybasic cleavage site, in related coronaviruses in nature, we do not believe that any type of laboratory-based scenario is plausible"

can you link us to strong scientific evidence that SARS-COV-2 was a product of product of purposeful manipulation in a lab?

10. vlaurelio

yeah but that was not the question

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Agree mostly. There is still some useful data. The way the poll question was phrased itself impact the answer and even perception (of those that never cared about it or pay much attention) by limiting the choices. At least include "other" as one choice.

12. vlaurelio

Pew did the right thing. They had specific non-vague or ambigous questions.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...il&utm_term=0_3e953b9b70-9a8a1fc2a0-400906701

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You don't need to prove the virus was manipulated in the lab to have it be a virus that jumped from a bat to human in the lab as it was being studied. You don't need it to be some Frankenstein virus. The most likely scenario is security protocols weren't followed in a shithole country. Big. Surprise.

I have lived in the third world for a long time and I can tell you these types of countries flout rules all the damn time. The Chinese govt admitted the security at the lab wasn't enough when it increased the lab's security protocols in the wake of the virus. If you don't keep this option on the table, then you're gullible af. Bat coronaviruses are a thing and they can jump to humans and people there were studying them. It's obvious af.

malakas likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

well that's why 25% answered they were unsure.

fact is 29% believes COVID-19 most likely was created in a lab and they don't believe it most likely came about naturally

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And those 25% may think those are the only possible and valid choices. Pew sux.

Unsure is different from other. Some may be sure but have to squeeze their choice into one of those limited choices. I would said 23% believe that (likely higher but to be very conservative) from that poll.

16. vlaurelio

LOL if you're unsure of A and B then it can be C, D, or E

At very least 29% believe it's unnatural and made in a lab

having others as an option wouldn't have siginificantly made that number less

17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If you are unsure of A and B but is sure it's C, then it's not "Not Sure"

well... i think the "made accidentally" in the lab is an oxymoron, thus I don't see that as useful

Roomba likes this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Calm down bro. If you understand all of that, then good for you. I have never even uttered the word polybasic in my 40 + years. My stance was never that it was purposefully manipulated in the lab. Show me where i even implied it.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This. It makes no sense on the face of it that any country engineered this as a bioweapon.

The conspiracy in Asia, and not just the PRC, is that the US government engineered this. That is ridiculous too. These conspiracies also do not advance controlling this disease. Even if it was man made we still have to deal with it. This is just another distraction.