1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade for Brandin Cooks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with this. Here is our lineup giving without any help from draft or further moves this year:

QB - Watson
    RB - David Johnson, Duke Johnson
    WR1 - Fuller, Stills
    WR2 - Cook, Cobb
    Slot - Cobb, Stills, Coutee
    TE - Fells, Akins, Warring, Thomas(?)
    RT - Howard
    LT - Tunsil
    C - Martin
    LG - Scharping
    RG - Fulton

RDE - Omenihu
    LDE - Watt
    NT - Dunn, Blackmon
    OLInebackers - Martin, Mercilus, Scarlet
    Inlinebackers - McKinney, Cunningham
    LCB - Conley, Johnson Jr., Crossen
    RCB - Roby, Hargreaves
    Safety - Reid, Gibson

This is a contending starting lineup. Depth is definitely questionable at best, so hopefully some free agent adds and help in draft to fill some holes.

Biggest needs for 2020: Pass Rush, NT, CB
    Biggest needs future: WR, Pass Rush, CB

mario_v, Rudyc281 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

Bill O’Brien’s design for this offense is spelled out in four acquisitions:
    — He drafted Will Fuller in the first round despite wideout not being a glaring need for the franchise.
    — He traded for Laremy Tunsil
    — He traded for Kenny Stills
    --- He traded for Bradin Cooks

All four of these moves point to wanting to dominate defenses vertically with speed. Because he has what he looks for in Watson

Starts at 2:30

Billy got some **** in his bag

#162 Fantasma Negro, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. htownbball

htownbball Member

From a production standpoint, sure we'll probably get more from Cooks than rookie 2nd rounder.

But that just makes it look worse that we got the same return for Hopkins in a 2nd rounder.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I pretty much expect Fuller or Stills to be moved.

Although I guess I wouldn't be shocked it O'Brien stands pat even if Cooks, Fuller, and Stills have redundant skill sets.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Every player in the league is an injury away from having to "retire." LIke I said, the concussion history is a big concern and his durability may become an issue. But saying he hasn't been a durable player is an incorrect statement.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's a one year rental considering Watson's and Tunsil's contract.

Also his numbers go up to 12 million after 2020...Hopkins is getting paid 12.5 million, goes up to 13 past this year...

The difference is the guarantees, Texans can cut Cook next year with no cap hit...which is probably likely because Watson's contract is up next year, yep, does time fly.

So are you going to eat that contract next year? I don't see it, it's why most people consider this a one year deal. It made a lot more sense to get more draft capital to have more control over good players (considering you can draft) if you were going to build for the future.

Clearly though the Texans are not building for the future, they are building for next year, they make win right now moves (as coaches usually do when they are given GM powers) so it makes giving up Hopkins for a lesser WR look dumb. If you want to win right now and only next year is a concern, keep Hopkins. I also do not believe Hopkins would have held out, he never has, nothing indicates that he was ready to be a nuisance ala Jalen Ramsey, nothing at all except spin from the Texans FO.

Now people will say we have more depth, but that's not a good argument. Hopkins is a HOF talent, he makes the game easier for lesser players.

7. conquistador#11

He runs his General managing like he does his coach making decisions. All these moves feel like chasing a decision to not go for it which leads to going for it with a fake punt back on your own 30yrd line. Attacking teams vertically will not work in today's nfl. You got to put away the 'week to week' and scheme your receivers open.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. in cooks case, it certainly isn't as plausible as lets just say DHop. cooks durability going forward isn't that great at all

Nook and JayGoogle like this.
  9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't understand it, but Cooks has had 4 or 5 nuerological exams that show his past concussions are not an issue.

Other than being a super christian, Cooks could be the embodiment of Ricky Jerret

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Definitely see the argument that it could be a one year rental but wasn't sure what you meant by saying he would need to be re-signed. One thing I think we are somewhat forgetting is that this is essentially Fuller's last season with the Texans, if he's not moved before then. If he gets hurt again, don't think the Texans will be interested in giving him a new deal and/or franchising him. If he somehow has a healthy season, don't think the Texans could afford to pay him considering Watson's and Tunsil's upcoming contracst like you said. IF Cooks can get back to 2018 form, I'm basically looking at him as Fuller's replacement without having to shell out any guaranteed money.

And 100% agree with you on the Hopkins deal.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. Dubious

And the truth is, half of NFL coach's are on the hot seat, winning next year and keeping their job has got to be their top priority unless otherwise directed by their owners.

12. Dubious

Think of Cooks as a one year rental, with an option to buy if his production is worth it.

13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've, unfortunately, been waiting for these New England "gameplan" offenses to come to fruition for awhile now.

14. conquistador#11

You usually pay a 4th rounder for those 1 yr rentals with options. Don't know where Lance Z is getting his sauces but says GMs were willing to do a 5th for Cooks.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And this is the issue I have with BOB's move.

Going into 2021 who are our WRs going to be? Fuller and Cooks could be here for 2020 and then gone...and then what? We have to rebuild our WR corps all over again? Okay maybe just Cooks...but why trade away Hopkins? I'd rather rebuild our WR group around him than Cooks. I really don't like the "He had to go, bad relationship" angle either. He should have patched things up with Hopkins, say sorry, I don't know. You can't go trading HOF talent because of bad relationships.

I'm worried that this season won't go as planned and Watson won't re-sign here no matter how much money we give him, I don't think Watson is a money guy, so taking a few million less to go play for a better run team? I honestly think Watson could be that guy. He's already had a few cryptic messages out there, if this season is a failure I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go elsewhere.

Very true, that's why the GM exists though. To make moves for the team's present and future beyond the current coach.

BOB's entire problem isn't actually his coaching, he's a more than decent coach as shown by his record...his issue is he doesn't delegate anything. Tries to be OC for all these years and is now trying to be GM. Both of these tasks are hard enough on their own and he thinks he can just fill in for whatever the organization needs.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ah yes let's hope it's better **** than the previous seasons where we go into playoffs to get exposed. fking pathetic that there's still delusional fans supporting this sht coach.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe BoB likes having people around in concussion protocol, finding them easier to talk to in general.

Nook and hou$tonScrew$tonTX like this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I finally agree with something Scarface said, BOB as GM certainly isn't boring.

With that said, I've always liked Cooks and love him in comparison to say Fuller. I question our current mix of receivers, but what's interesting is we have a plethora of speed demons. I hope coach Timmy watched him some June Jones XFL offense during the off-season, because we could play some run-n-shoot boys and girls.

I wish we didn't give up a 2nd, but at least we got something back in a future pick. I hope we focus on defense with #2-4 picks now and get some help for our pass rush and DL.

As others have said, Bill is loading up for next year and maybe one beyond. If he can't get us to a SB by then, hopefully he's gone.

Blatz likes this.
  20. Fantasma Negro

When Fuller has been healthy we've seen glimpses. We beat the **** out the chiefs and Pat's in the regular season with what our offense is supposed to look like

21. YOLO

YOLO Member

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.