1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In Wuhan during their lockdown they weren’t letting people go out and shop. Everything had to be delivered and in many cases the delivery people were given minimal or substandard PPE.

Nook likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a friend who’s a doctor in Munich and he says they’ve been having to use O2 treatments as they run low on ventilators. He said they are seeing good results and have ways of limiting the aerosols. I presume he means aerosol droplets of body fluids that could spread the virus.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Why must I constantly have to remind people I encounter to social distance ??

People are walking up to me so freely like it's just a regular day.

ALL races are doing this -- some are successful business owners.

They respond with 'oh yeah', then make the same mistake 2 minutes later.

Putting a number on it --- 70% of the random public are NOT social distancing properly. Perhaps in spirts (standing in line when they're almost forced by a marker on the floor), but MOST folks are not doing it.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

People are bewildering. I seriously think people have no clue why they're doing what they're doing or they don't know at all, so they're just doing it because everybody else is. I haven't been in a grocery store or restaurant since the beginning of March. Any grocery shopping I do is going to be via curbside pickup at the store, and I'm avoiding that as much and as long as possible for now.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

People hope and pray for science.

https://www.wired.com/story/japan-i...7c81b9-09cb-42d5-baa5-883e011ee0bc_popular4-1
    Favipiravir is not the only existing drug to be put forward as a potential Covid-19 treatment. A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine in March showed that the HIV drug Kaletra failed to produce better results than standard care when administered to Covid-19 patients in Wuhan over a period of 14 days. Remdesivir, an experimental antiviral drug developed by biotech giant Gilead, is the subject of two clinical studies in China, which are supposed to yield results in late April. Meanwhile, a clinical trial is now underway in Italy, Spain, Germany, France, and elsewhere to test the efficacy of Kevzara, a rheumatoid arthritis treatment that some believe may calm an overactive immune response that in some Covid-19 patients can damage lung tissue even after much of the virus has passed from the body.

Perhaps the most controversial Covid-19 treatment so far has been the combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine, two anti-malaria drugs first approved by the Food and Drug Administration more than six decades ago. On March 21, President Donald Trump sent a tweet endorsing their use as a Covid-19 treatment, citing a French study which involved only 42 patients. Days later, an Arizona man who watched Trump’s televised briefings—where he also enthused about the drugs—died after ingesting Chloroquine, a fish tank additive which he confused for the malaria drug. (A statistically insignificant study published in the Journal of Zhejiang University found Hydroxychloroquine to be no more effective than conventional treatment.)

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

How much luck have you had with curbside? I mean with regards to the length of time out that a slot is available? I know sometimes it was pretty far out. I managed to get a few things through Amazon fresh, but definitely agree people don't know/forget - protocols/how contagious this is. Even the 6 feet we have isn't technically enough.

I mean to put in in perspective, I still see people trying to directly compare this to H1N1 from 2009... Ie ~12,469 US deaths for a whole year... it's like they're not getting we will reach that toll - even with inaccurate numbers within the next day(s) in the US and we haven't even reached the peak yet.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Guess its over. Back to work

robbie380 likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you don't treat it like "I must get everything I want", my curbside pickup with Walmart has been good. The key is they allot time slots something like 2 days at a time. If they're all sold out, they'll be more available after midnight. But most of my stuff I got 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I should be set on food for about another month or two'ish. I have a lot of dried goods that I'm saving for later (beans, rice, etc).

There's stuff I want to get that I rarely did when ordering because they'd run out by the time my order was filled, but oh well, it's not going to make me go into a grocery store. I used Amazon Fresh once and had a good experience with them, too. Keep in mind the people that deliver or put the groceries in your trunk could be infected, too, but I think the risk to me there is far less than running around a grocery store for 10-30 mins.

BTW, there are employees at local Targets and Walmarts that supposedly were infected. It's one reason I wanted to get as much shopping done as possible as quickly as possible before this thing spread further. But like I said, I'd use the curbside pickup with Walmart again. Amazon, as well. I have Krogers, Market Streets, etc. also around me, and I'd use those, too, if necessary. But in all cases as infrequently as possible.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

[​IMG]

10. Nook

Nook Member

Give it up, you sound absurd.

Dr. Fauci and the CDC don’t owe you anything. They all ready have to humor the moron in the Oval Office. Fauci already went on Fox News and entertained your types of absurd conspiracy theories.

You are not a doctor and you are not a scientist. Just shut up and let the experts do their jobs.

RayRay10, YOLO, Joshfast and 5 others like this.
  11. Major

Major Member

But you don't understand: a chart is going around the internet.

malakas, No Worries, Joshfast and 5 others like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

I'm sure his types are writing up dumb conspiracy theories and hoping "the scoreboard" allows them to post their bile when the time comes.

200k is just a political statistic, not saving as many lives as possible.

At best, containment might limit the virus to regional waves.

The moment everyone feels the same thing, from podunk to Hollywood, it'll be an inexplicable failure and colossal tragedy.

Nook likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

can you share where we can find these stats? I ask simply because I'm not able to check this thread much, so be helpful to have a bookmark or sumpin.

And by Hospitalization growth, you mean specifically growth of covid-19 cases, right?

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What do you mean? You think they are over selling deaths to scare people into more drastic mitigation?

15. Invisible Fan

I'm saying if the death count turns out to be lower than the president's estimate, Corona fears and prevention will be spun as "overreactions" by faceless twitter posters spreading dumb conspiracy theories.

Mazulis, RayRay10, malakas and 4 others like this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Completely agreed. As a law firm, we are able to stay productive for our clients from home. But I was super conservative in taking out the loan and what we requested. I read discussion after discussion from CPAs in particular talking about whether or not guaranteed payments to owners were included....I just assumed they weren't. I made sure my staff was taken care of and nothing more.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

"Many people are saying."

Amiga, Major and Buck Turgidson like this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

https://covidtracking.com/

look for "historical data"

heypartner likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Yes, god forbid we question authority, how unamerican. The idea that there is a scientific consensus embodied by the infallible Fauci for something this new is ridiculous.

Not a conspiracy theory, those numbers are direct from the CDC

Fauci has been behind the 8 ball from the start. He downplayed the threat early on, and now he's over-corrected and wants the whole country on lockdown foregoing income until there aren't any more cases. As if that's any kind of plan at all.

Fauci only knows shelter-in-place. He offers no combination of mitigation/treatment strategies that would allow people to go back to work (as many east asian countries and states like South Dakota and Iowa are doing). Trump needs to shitcan him ASAP (along with the entire leadership of CDC, who seem to not have wargamed this scenario out at all. If the military were in charge of this, they would have had detailed plans for every contingency).

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Take it to the D&D. But I'm going to call you out again. This is just false.

malakas and heypartner like this.