1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy T was betrayed by the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 4, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks Jerry Buss for treating Rudy T with dignity that the previous Rockets owner didn't do.
    You still paid Rudy for all those years because Rudy T stepped down because of his Health.
    Which is what happened with Houston, except the Houston owner never kept Rudy T on the team.

You kept Rudy after he stepped down for half a season and gave a job to his son.
    FOR 12 YEARS.

We know if you didn't die, he'd still be on the Laker's payroll. Cause that's how you treat people.

You cared about your employees

@kjayp thanks for your article

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2004-jul-10-sp-rudy10-story.html

"Tomjanovich was being paid $6 million a year when he took an indefinite leave of absence during the 2002-03 season to undergo treatment for bladder cancer. He felt he was ready to resume coaching last fall, but owner Les Alexander replaced him with Jeff Van Gundy."

"Instead, the man known as “Rudy T” returned as a personnel consultant, acting mainly as a scout and reporting to his longtime friend, General Manager Carroll Dawson."

“I’m always going to be a Rocket,” he said when Van Gundy was named."

"But “he was crushed when the Rockets decided they didn’t want him,” Feinstein said. “Betrayal might be too strong of a word, but he thought that after 32 years in the organization, he deserved more rope.”

@Air Yordan
    @Reeko

https://www.espn.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/42676/rumor-central-lakers-rudy-tomjanovich-part-ways

According to Medina, a team spokesperson said their departures are "part of the reorganization of basketball operations" under Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson and general manager Rob Pelinka.

Rudy Tomjanovich was the head coach of the Lakers to start the 2004-05 NBA season after signing a five-year, $30 million deal, but he lasted just 43 games due to health issues. Since that time he's served as a consultant and scout for the team.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2017/05/15/rudy-tomjanovich-longer-lakers/

A Lakers spokesperson attributed Tomjanovich’s departure to “part of the reorganization of basketball operations,” which took place shortly after the 2016-17 season ended in mid-April. Last season, Tomjanovich served as a consultant and scout for the Lakers’ basketball analytics department. Tomjanovich’s son, Trey, also is not part of the staff after serving as a consultant and helping with statistical analysis in the basketball analytics department.

The Lakers had signed Tomjanovich to a five-year, $30 million contract to replace Phil Jackson for the 2004-05 season after guiding the Houston Rockets to two NBA championships (1994, 1995) during his 12-year tenure (1991-2003). But Tomjanovich resigned 43 games into the 2004-05 season with a 24-19 record, citing physical and emotional difficulties. The Lakers still retained Tomjanovich in a consulting capacity.

#1 tinman, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Tinman's talking to dead people now. I think this social distancing is getting to him.

dreamshakin, Jontro, B-Bob and 11 others like this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

I loved in the other thread, Rudy † specifically mentioned Steve Patterson who gave him the job.

I want Les Alexander fans to choke on their own lack of knowledge on how Les treated people here

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Tillman would have him packaged with a couple first round picks. Probably wouldn't be paying during Covid either.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks Dr Buss for taking care of Rudy and his family for us

the owner we had was too cheap to do that for someone that was with the organization for 30 plus years

REEKO_HTOWN, slothy420 and UTSA2step like this.
  6. fattz

fattz Member

I didn’t know any of this. Still not a Lakers fan but have always respected them and now even more. Starting to understand where and why the successfulness comes from.

7. rockets13champs

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rudytomjanovich

rudy t’s LinkedIn

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I see him at the range at Memorial plenty.

htwnbandit and kdchilds like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

He can still have family and friends in Houston
    He’s also pretty wealthy so he might have multiple homes
    Maybe he moved back . But he was there for the longest time

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He lives inside the hearts of ALL 99'ers.

Shark44, saleem and tinman like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Thank you, Dr. Buss. Everything is going fine down here, sir.

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No, tinman’s Post was spot on. Lakes not the same in recent years. Doing well now? Three reasons: LeBron. Lebron. Lebron.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

"Tomjanovich was being paid $6 million a year when he took an indefinite leave of absence during the 2002-03 season to undergo treatment for bladder cancer. He felt he was ready to resume coaching last fall, but owner Les Alexander replaced him with Jeff Van Gundy."

"Instead, the man known as “Rudy T” returned as a personnel consultant, acting mainly as a scout and reporting to his longtime friend, General Manager Carroll Dawson."

"But “he was crushed when the Rockets decided they didn’t want him,” Feinstein said. “Betrayal might be too strong of a word, but he thought that after 32 years in the organization, he deserved more rope.”

B-Bob, napalm06, donkeypunch and 3 others like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks for BEING A REAL ROCKETS FAN HERE. NOT MANY OF US LEFT.
    @Jontro

This is why I think Les Alexander fans need to be deleted immediately
    They really know nothing about the Rockets

I'll never forgive Les, he and especially his fans should be thrown in a wet market in Wuhan

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I will never respect Les Alexander on how he treated our hero.

Being on Clutchfans since the beginning it's amazing how many come in and have 'their own version' of Rockets history.
    I know some dumb punks criticized me when I said Cuban is a better owner than Les.
    Somehow correlating OWNER= TEAM.
    But TILMAN has changed the narrative that OWNER<>TEAM.
    making up their own rules for each owner. Nah.

But these dumb idiots still can't see and know the reason why us few fans here will never forgive Les.
    This is because these idiots were player only fans. Yao or Tmac or whatever.
    They don't see it as a CITY AND TEAM view.

Rudy leave the Rockets, Then he goes to the Lakers , steps down half a season. Then the owner still pays him his 30 million and keeps in and Rudy's son as employees til the owner dies.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Bud I'm changing the thread title because of your great input.

Thanks. Maybe these stupid fans will learn.

19. csj

csj Member

Very low class.

B-Bob and RKREBORN like this.
  20. JW86

JW86 Member

Leslie is a low life piece of ****, if corona catches him, I won’t shed a single tear! Never knew this, he was already a scumbag but this makes everything seem little...what a ****ing piece of crap. Everyone who thinks highly of him can **** off too!

tinman likes this.