1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

you would hope so.... once in a while i see people coughing and sneezing when i'm out shopping, some obviously sick and other probably not. Those that aren't sick might actually be carrying the virus and exposing it to others.

I feels for the grocery workers. They are exposed to the public and the public aren't masking up while grocery shopping (might now change). Some of them still have bad habits of not even covering up their cough.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Remember they aren't using this drug long term. It's only 10 days and it's under the toxicity level.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes being asymptomatic is an issue

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

interesting thing is, those were issues even before this coronavirus pandemic started.

Nook and Mazulis like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

yea, a cultural change is needed and one potential positive out of this is we may get that change

Nook, Mazulis and YOLO like this.
  6. hooroo

hooroo Member

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

While the dosage rates are higher than the recommended daily dose, it is an acute treatment unlike your typical autoimmune daily use. Hydroxycholoroquine is also much less toxic than its predecessor chloroquine. Even so, when given the choice between death and central blindness, which do you choose?

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

it was a lame idea to begin with, a month after concludes :

Investigational approaches for COVID-19 therapy (March 2020)

No agent has proven efficacy for COVID-19

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

just a little nugget thought I'd share. Finding that these people are very hypercoagulable (clot easily) , throwing emboli. A lot are being started on heparin (blood thinner).

Nook and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Haven't you heard? The blood of Jesus will protect them. Get on with the program now. :D

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. GIGO

GIGO Member

What clear and informative subtitles!

According to this interview (March 23), 20% out of 8,961 patients in SK were asymptomatic.

(06:28) 20% of 9k or so SK covid19 cases are symptomatic
    (15:01) Everyday PPE: masks (and maybe glasses)
    (15:58) Importance of wearing masks (evidenced from the 2003 SARS outbreak stats)

00:55 Interviewee Intro
    02:18 Covid19 origin
    04:13 SK covid19 fatality rate
    04:38 SK covid19 death rate demographics
    06:28 20% of 9k or so SK covid19 cases are symptomatic
    06:43 Importance of strong immune system
    08:02 SK covid19 reinfection cases
    08:37 Covid19 transmission route #1 droplet transfer
    09:55 Covid19 transmission route #2 direct contact
    10:13 Covid19 transmission route #3 indirect contact
    11:28 Covid19 transmission route #4 air-borne transfer under special circumstances
    13:39 Who should get tested (Covid19 symptoms) and how to get tested (in SK)
    15:01 Everyday PPE: masks (and maybe glasses)
    15:58 Importance of wearing masks (evidenced from the 2003 SARS outbreak stats)
    18:57 How SK's dealing with the covid19 outbreak
    27:26 Possible outlooks on the covid19 outbreak: vaccines, medications, convalescent plasma treatment, & future waves of covid19 cases
    33:00 What medical professionals need the most at the moment
    35:00 To young people
    35:50 Final words

NotInMyHouse, Amiga and B-Bob like this.
  13. omgTHEpotential

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So Trump came out and said 100K-240K a few days ago. The IMHE says 93,531 deaths by 8-1-2020 lower window 40K upper window 180K.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Did the model go down? Is Trump's model different or are they bull ******** us?

robbie380 likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It looks like they are only accounting for this first wave, it's likely to outbreak several times until there is a vaccine that has been distributed and taken by the vast majority of citizens. Unless we plan on quarantining until late 2021, early 2022.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Bandwagoner

Does the Trump model account for years of all Covid deaths?

17. GIGO

GIGO Member

The original comment deleted.*

*Edited for correction: The article is about 5 cases of plasma treatment of COVID-19 in China, not in the US as mistakenly described above. Sorry about the confusion.

Treatment of 5 Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19 With Convalescent Plasma

JAMA
    Published online March 27, 2020.
    doi:10.1001/jama.2020.4783

Key Points

Question: Could administration of convalescent plasma transfusion be beneficial in the treatment of critically ill patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)?

Findings: In this uncontrolled case series of 5 critically ill patients with COVID-19 and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), administration of convalescent plasma containing neutralizing antibody was followed by an improvement in clinical status.

Meaning: These preliminary findings raise the possibility that convalescent plasma transfusion may be helpful in the treatment of critically ill patients with COVID-19 and ARDS, but this approach requires evaluation in randomized clinical trials.

Main Outcomes and Measures: Changes of body temperature, Sequential Organ Failure Assessment (SOFA) score (range 0-24, with higher scores indicating more severe illness), Pao2/Fio2, viral load, serum antibody titer, routine blood biochemical index, ARDS, and ventilatory and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) supports before and after convalescent plasma transfusion.

Results: All 5 patients (age range, 36-65 years; 2 women) were receiving mechanical ventilation at the time of treatment and all had received antiviral agents and methylprednisolone. Following plasma transfusion, body temperature normalized within 3 days in 4 of 5 patients, the SOFA score decreased, and Pao2/Fio2 increased within 12 days (range, 172-276 before and 284-366 after). Viral loads also decreased and became negative within 12 days after the transfusion, and SARS-CoV-2–specific ELISA and neutralizing antibody titers increased following the transfusion (range, 40-60 before and 80-320 on day 7). ARDS resolved in 4 patients at 12 days after transfusion, and 3 patients were weaned from mechanical ventilation within 2 weeks of treatment. Of the 5 patients, 3 have been discharged from the hospital (length of stay: 53, 51, and 55 days), and 2 are in stable condition at 37 days after transfusion.

Conclusions and Relevance: In this preliminary uncontrolled case series of 5 critically ill patients with COVID-19 and ARDS, administration of convalescent plasma containing neutralizing antibody was followed by improvement in their clinical status. The limited sample size and study design preclude a definitive statement about the potential effectiveness of this treatment, and these observations require evaluation in clinical trials.​

#5417 GIGO, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not sure, I wouldn't trust anything labeled the "Trump model" though lol. I know you are quoting the white house projected numbers, but I honestly can't put much faith in that information at this point.

No projection for future deaths can be accurate, it's 100% dependent on how much we do to quarantine the public until a vaccine is distributed, which is completely unknown.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Talk about bad habits, I'm at the grocery store today and some guy is touching at least a half-dozen different packages of hot dog buns, moving them all around on the shelf, before he walks away, without even a package of buns himself. I thought he may be an employee but certainly wasn't dressed nor was he acting like it. Seriously, grab the product you want and nothing else. I picked up a bag of cheese that was the wrong brand I wanted, but kept it cause I didn't want to put it back after already touching it. Just common decency and self-awareness.

And then the gloves. Let's wear gloves out in public so we don't spread or pick up any germs, yet toss them onto the ground when we're done with them.

And as for masks. I like the guideline, protect others sure. Protect yourself even if it's more psychological than anything. But I'm thinking of kids. Defeats the purpose of the mask if you're all adjusting it, and no way in hell my kids, or any other for that matter, are gonna be able to keep their hands away from their face wearing the things. Hard enough keeping my son's hands away from his face without a mask! Maybe a surgical mask you won't have as big of an issue, but the homemade, cloth variety like I have, they don't stay snug and in position particularly well.

Houstunna likes this.
  20. Bandwagoner

obviously, I just saw Birx suggest this website yesterday, when I checked it out I was curious if the numbers had dropped (obviously would be a good thing) or if it's just based on a different calculation and nothing has changed for the positive.