1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Milan

Mazulis and heypartner like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

White House expected to urge Americans to wear cloth masks to combat coronavirus spread

"The recommendations, still being finalized Thursday, would apply at least to those who live in areas hard-hit by community transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19. A person familiar with the White House coronavirus task force's discussion said officials would suggest that non-medical masks, T-shirts or bandannas be used to cover the nose and mouth when outside the home — for instance, at the grocery store or pharmacy. Medical-grade masks, particularly short-in-supply N95 masks, would be reserved for those dealing directly with the sick."

Jontro and robbie380 like this.
  3. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

First we started firing and silencing our healthcare workers for speaking up, and now we are firing and silencing our military. Much respect to Capt. Brett Crozier for jumping on his sword to save the lives of his sailors and sad to see us making the same mistakes as China (and sadly without learning from those same mistakes like China eventually did).

The Navy announced it has relieved the captain who sounded the alarm about an outbreak of COVID-19 aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt.
    Crozier raised the alarm earlier this week that sailors on the ship need to be quarantined to stop the spread of the virus. His plea for assistance quickly made headlines.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/milita...ain-who-raised-alarm-about-covid-19-n1175351?

4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

OMG. I was afraid of this. Loss of trust and confidence...

RayRay10, Cokebabies and CCity Zero like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, I think the two biggest epic failures are (1) lack of effective surveillance, early detection (testing), tracing / isolation and (2) lack of supplies. They directly impact the level and duration of isolation needed and # of death. Early planning / prevention is worth more than tons of golds in this case.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Robert Peston named his son Maximilian

not trying to say he is a typical smarmy know it all news actor or anything.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Gawdamn. I hate somebody who loves to hear themselves speak. I hate those people even more if they have an annoying ****ing British accent.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

High fever is common with acute ulcers. Might want to check that out.

Ulcer symptoms are often mistaken for flu symptoms.

malakas and Jontro like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

take good care, @malakas.

And others who have fought the virus have mentioned loss of appetite and stomach pain. As you say, it could well be some other virus.

Stay strong and try to stay positive. If it's COVID, you'll have some more tough days but probably not need further care.
    If it's an intestinal virus or food poisoning, it will abate pretty soon.

Also... I'm not a doctor. Just trying to help.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I hope you get over this fast regardless of bug! Get lots of rest!

11. likestohypeguy

He couldn't even let the doctor finish explaining where he was mixed up, just kept trying to cram any kind of sideways nugget in there that would save a little face.

So much more delicious that the fast talking smarter sounding accent was not informed. Moderator should have shut him up and said let the doctor finish.

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want a clutch fans cloth mask.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I am an ICU physician who is dealing directly with COVID patients. Trump and the federal government are completely in the wrong. I’ve never been more pissed at a group of people in my life and more scared to go to work. We literally have under 40s in the ventilator and we haven’t hit surge yet which is predicted to be in May. For reference my department and I have been waiting for this since the end of January. We have emails in our department and between intensivists at other hospitals talking about getting ready for when this hit. Trump, the federal administration, and the corporate hospital environment have failed the people. Trump firing the pandemic team is issue 1. Calling it a hoax and underplaying the situation is issue 2. Allowing the states to deploy social distancing instead of mandating it on a federal level is issue 3. We needed the distancing to slow down the coming onslaught into our ICUs and save supplies. This disease may not seem scary to you because of its “low” mortality but ask yourself one thing. If the people who regularly take care of people on ventilators are only taking care of Covids who is taking care of heart attacks trauma and gi bleeders? It’s a resource drain this disease. Speaking of Trump and the CDC delayed available testing so we were blind as to what we were dealing with. Set up no point of contact tracing and delayed PPE manufacturing. He is a ****ing utter failure and deserves any hate that he has coming his way. Make no mistake he killed us to try to save Wall Street. This is from a front liner who is seeing the consequences of his actions up close.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

@Trader_Jorge FYI this is a premium post sir.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Take great care. Thank you for doing you.

You speak the truth. I wish more people would realize it. This man deserves not one single vote this fall.

18. GIGO

GIGO Member

premium edition

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RayRay10, Hakeemtheking and Ubiquitin like this.
  19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My bosses say I have to wear an N95 and surgical mask but maybe I can wear this to the grocery.

edit: someone sadly tossed my PAPR hood away before PPE scarcity became a thing.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

As I said ,New York have 34 ICU per 100000 more than any city in USA, and still 2015 report was saying it's not even enough to battle influenza , we as citizen of that area paying more than 5 billions a year in taxes on our medical bills. And thees politicians telling us they are building something, improving our health care, and so on so on, and when guy like you have to go to work , CAN"T EVEN GET A MASK TO PROTECT YOURSELF . I am sorry but this reminds me more than 3rd world state, run by mr Gorbachev more than Cuomo.
    However ,put the differences aside, I THANK YOU FOR THE WORK YOU DOING. BEST OF LUCK AT WORK.

RayRay10, B-Bob, peleincubus and 2 others like this.