1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sounds like BoB didn't like having his authority and competence challenged internally and dumped a future hofer possibly out of spite.

mikol13, Pbev99 and DatRocketFan like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Wait we have a defense? Could have sworn there was no one out there when the chiefs scored 7 straight touchdowns...

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

*was* - this is a 2018 gripe. Their OL was markedly better last year and should be even better in 2020. OL doesn't crack top 5 roster issues anymore.

No; those who understand football can see the wisdom is selling high on Hopkins. He's entering his age-28 season, had a slight reduction in production last year, and is set to earn ~$40MM the next 3 years - which is relatively cheap but they have some big financial issues forthcoming and I'm guessing they value Watson and Tunsil more.

If you could turn him into valuable draft capital and cap savings - I'm not arguing you do it, but it's certainly justifiable. The failing here is trading an asset as valuable as Hopkins for such a trash return - in a league where WRs of his caliber are routinely fetching first round picks *and* less than a year removed from you paying 2 1s to get Tunsil. You not only know the landscape - YOU HELPED SET IT!

Again, we can quibble over the viability of dealing Hopkins - I don't think there's a right/wrong answer there. Honestly, the return dictates that and, man, did he get absolutely fleeced.

mikol13, sugrlndkid, Fyreball and 2 others like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Agree. If u dont like hopkins sure trade him. But u dont trade your best asset for sht return. To make matter worst, another team offer a boatload of picks for an inferior wr like right aftwr, goes to show how sht BoB is at GM and he didnt canvas for more offers. Its debatable this is the second time he got fked when trading good assets away.

UTSA2step, mikol13 and desihooper like this.
  9. Hey Now!

No. If you don't like him, you suck it up because he's an elite talent and makes your team better. You only trade him if the deal makes the team better.

The Diggs deal is OK but it wouldn't have been a good deal for Hopkins - and it's *markedly* better than the Texans' deal. WTF is going on??

Hopkins was, as with OBJ, worth three high value assets. The Texans got.... 1, which is then offset by them not creating any financial flexibility.

Fyreball likes this.
  10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the hardest part to understand. Assuming Nuk wanted a new contract and was willing to holdout, I can see possibly shopping him and selling high. They failed to extract maximum value from an asset. They failed to do that with Clowney too.

The other failing that compounds the insanity of the trade is not extracting more from Arizona for taking on Johnson's full salary. Again, inexcusable.

These three moves (Tunsil/Clowney/Nuk) would look a lot different if we didn't give up 2 firsts (and a second) and only got back a 2020 2nd, 2020 3rd (Conley), Johnson, Martin, Mingo, Stills, and a 2021 4th.

Add in the overpay on Duke Johnson and you're out another 2020 third.

In: Conley, D. Johnson (x2), Martin, Mingo, Tunsil, and Stills plus a 2020 2nd and 2021 4th

Out: Clowney, Nuk, 2020 1st, 2020 3rd, 2020 4th, 2021 1st, and 2021 2nd

Apologies if I've missed a pick or 3, just mind boggling!

Hank McDowell and Hey Now! like this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Man Iv'e been sleeping for 30 hours, this lucid nightmare is still going strong.

Jake Tower likes this.
  12. alethios

alethios Member

The Texans have literally become a **** show thanks to BoB and Cal.

13. the shark

the shark Member

Comparing their OL to 2017 and 2018 doesn't mean crap. Their OL was still $hit last yr.

The same OL that gave up SEVEN sacks against Buffalo in the playoffs.

14. Hey Now!

I'm comparing 2018 to 2019 - both full seasons with Watson. In 2018, they gave up 3.875 sacks/game. In 2019, they reduced that total to 2.933/game. And that's despite adding their LT literally days before the start of the season and starting two rookies.

Their offensive line is fine.

This is what fans do. They extract small sample sizes that supplement their biases. Yes, they gave up 7 sacks to the 6th-best defense (by DVOA) in the NFL. It wasn't pretty but it also shouldn't completely trash the improvements they made in 2019.

Their offensive line is fine.

15. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

If you consider this selling Hopkins high, I don't know what to tell you. I'm thinking you're another sock for BoB or Trump.

16. the shark

the shark Member

PFF ranked their OL 20th out of 32 teams at the end of the regular season. "Fine"?

Keep going HeyNow cause Lord knows you're always right (at least you think you're always right) and ALWAYS have to have the last word.

tierre_brown likes this.
  17. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

I'm just flabbergasted there are people here that are trying to explain and defend this trade.

mikol13 likes this.
  18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

This jackass @Hey Now! really defending this trade??? Bruh this trade is 100% bullshit and you know it!

PDJACK7, the shark and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Hey Now!

Good lord... Which post of mine would lead you to believe I think they sold high on Hopkins? Was it me repeatedly calling the return "trash," an "abject failure," and/or a "fireable" offense? Was it me being disappointed that we have undoubtedly downgraded, from an ownership perspective? I literally have, maybe... 5, 6 posts in which I've roasted the return. It was an absolute fleecing and it should've cost BO'B his job, at least as a GM.

20. Hey Now!

I challenge you to find any post in which I've defended the trade. Seriously. Please - show me. I think the *idea* is defensible given a slew of unfavorable circumstances (most of which are BO'B's doing). But the actual execution is indefensible and I've repeatedly said so.

I really lament the lot of arts of reading and comprehension.