1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Has Houston sports gone to ****?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Mar 16, 2020.

?

Which is the most competent franchise in Houston

Poll closed Mar 23, 2020.
  1. Dynamo

12 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. Rockets

45 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. Texans

14 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Roughnecks

63 vote(s)
    35.6%
  5. Astros

43 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

There's a lot worse going on in the world than Bill O'Brien being a moron.

I don't see the value in this negative thread especially considering the Rockets haven't done anything to warrant being dragged because of the Texans being dumb.

I just hope all of these teams are able to exist after the world presumably gets back to normalcy. There's no guarantee that in 5 years from now people are going to want to pay premiums for sporting events.

I love the Rockets even though Tilman has made some decisions I don't like.

The Cat likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Houston lived and breathed a championship a couple of years ago.

Who gives a crap if it's tainted. It wasn't taken away because everyone else did it. Are BoSox fans crying about their tainted championship(s)? F that, they'll beat you down in a bar if you bring it up with that sad sack look on your face.

I don't know whether some members here are naturally ****ing whiny or the culture of loserdom has been in Houston sports for decades that it's hard to shake off that "lovable loser fml" mentality.

The Cat likes this.
  3. SemisolidSnake

Comets won all those championships...no longer exist. Aeros, while they were IHL/AHL and not NHL, had probably the most consistent appearances in the playoffs during their tenure. Something about teams that played in Les arenas but weren't the Rockets...hmm. I miss the Aeros and hockey in Houston in general. And I wish I'd seen the Comets. Haven't seen the Dynamo play, but they were dominant for quite a while. The little brother/sister teams of Houston sports were the most successful over the past 2-3 decades, but Houston fans don't care. They'll keep selling out to go watch the Houston BO'Bs for eternity, though.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I’ll vote the Rockets. It’s why I’m here. As a fan of the Astros who went to games with my Dad when the Dome was a hole in the ground and they were the Colt 45’s, I was extremely pissed off when they jumped to the AL so their new owner could take a payoff. I’m over that now, but it still keeps them at #2. Our Rockets also have a World Championship the Astros don’t have, not yet, when we were able to enjoy the man I consider the greatest to ever lace them up, the Dream.

I’m not content, far from it, and I don’t like our new owner. Of course, I had problems with Les, as well. Owners, good and bad, are something fans just have to put up with. Even the good ones can piss you off.

We’re damned lucky to have the Rockets. Damned unlucky having to deal with this ****ing virus. It’ll pass, someday.

tinman likes this.
  5. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

It does upset me that Houston's championships have a gray cloud over them. The Astros obviously and the Rockets (because Jordan was playing baseball). I think that is BS and I wish Jordan hadn't gone to baseball, but I feel the Rockets would have won anyway, but this is a thing a lot of people think.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan was there in 95
    @Clutch

BossHogg713 likes this.
  7. rockets13champs

People don’t know basketball history correctly Jordan returned and went off against the Knicks a series before and lost to Shaq and Penny who got swept by us. Everyone forget Michael Jordan lost to Shaq and Penny.

tinman and BossHogg713 like this.
  8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

texans got a running back now! Watson made most of the big time plays. No worries about texans with Watson at quarterback!

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm so thankful that our owner drafted Dream

Thanks Charlie Thomas

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

But there's not much that has been going on LONGER than Bill Obrien being a moron. :cool:

and getting promoted repeatedly...

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Every word of this, and I expressed the same sentiment on Twitter earlier in the week. O'Brien made a dumb trade, but it makes no sense to turn it into a referendum day on at least two other (unrelated) franchises with this woe-is-me crap.

As a side note, it amuses me to see combination Rockets/Astros fans worried about how fans or media in other cities view the 2017 title. As a Rockets fan, I learned at a relatively young age with the "Jordan wasn't playing" nonsense that searching for outside validation is pointless. Worry about what your team can control, which is winning, and the joy of the journey and its memories for you as a fan. Life is too damn short to worry about how some fan or media member in a different market may attempt to contextualize it.

Now, if the league itself had taken away the title, that's different because it's the governing body that runs the sport. But random fans and media members? Life is way too short to be concerned about pleasing those types. This is supposed to be fun!

YOLO and Deckard like this.
  12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I know we're going thru an epidemic but how under a rock are people? The Roughnecks are easily the most competent franchise right now. Rockets routinely choke, Astros are a PR disaster and were complete idiots about the cheating (it. could've all been avoided had they just kept it from certain players), Texans are now the 4th best pro football team in TX (as much as it pains me to say it) and the Dynamo just have their heads up their asses. Hoping it all turns around at some point though.

But right now the Roughnecks are all we have in terms of Houston sport success! And the XFL championship game is hosted in Hosuton, so here's hoping we can pull a 1960 Oilers and win the first championship in XFL history.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

the roughnecks and the xfl haven't been around long enough to be taken that seriously. and they still aren't. looking at the direction where the texans are headed certainly helps their support in the future though if the xfl sticks around long enough, and the texans continue their downfall

htwnbandit likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Too much non-hate on Bill Obrien in this post. Reported.

15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

If the Texans weren't a complete bunch of imbeciles I'd agree but even with league and team being new, the city should be all-in on the Roughnecks.

16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I have to remember to bring up this topic for discussion at the sports bar tonight after work.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty hard to be "all in" on something a lot of people aren't even familiar with. this league is very much still in its early stages as far as feedback, which shouldn't be surprising. An off league isn't going to take off just like that.

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

There seems to be a big buzz about it all over the place, especially social media. Not hard to get behind a winning team, no matter how new or small it is. If they're winning, people will cheer for them.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Certainly didn’t much of that impression. And just like that it’s been canceled anyway so they’ll pretty much be starting from the beginning if this comes back at some point

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. Coming from a friendly place here:
    I’m not even from Houston, but am from a hockey town, and I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you’re asking for WAY TOO MUCH if you’re going to complain about people in Texas not watching the IHL/AHL.