1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Guidelines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fwiw

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/03/28/daniel-dennett-rapoport-rules-criticism

How to compose a successful critical commentary:

1. You should attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your target says, “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.
    2. You should list any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
    3. You should mention anything you have learned from your target.
    4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

foh likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Those are nice thoughts that feel very remote, sadly, from the internet.
    All we need is someone to lead by example. Perhaps others would follow suit.

da_juice, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

From what you wrote, you don’t think it can happen because of the nature of the Internet. But, the Internet is also a gathering of good voices, for example, yours, so this could be accomplished.

I do agree that there is a lot of nastiness on the Internet and people strive to be right rather than accurate.

What I’ve learned from your post is that you do have a sense this could happen, but it will take work and strength of character.

All that being said, leading by example seldom works these days.

5. B-Bob

Thanks. I think it could happen in at least small packets. Like a "gang of 8" here and there on the internet. :)

But there's what a EE might call an "impedance mismatch." If a poster, for example, just quotes some inflammatory column or conspiracy theory, the rules we're discussing mean I would sincerely try to digest the conspiracy theory and start by reading in back to the poster in my own words, perhaps even improving upon the presentation of said conspiracy theory. At this point, I fear I would have spent more time on the topic than the original poster may have spent on it. (In a worst case, but probably common enough case, scenario.)

So, now that I think about it, we're kind of close to that already. I know when there's a sincere poster based on posting history, and I try to afford that courtesy to those people, no matter their specific beliefs. I guess we all would argue over who deserves what assumed sincerity though.

Deckard, RayRay10 and CometsWin like this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was trying to follow Os's formula

7. B-Bob

[​IMG]

EDIT: They aren't Os's rules, per se. He was quoting an article from brainpickings (an interesting outlet to be sure), and I think those rules are the same recipe you learn in a mediation class. Listen, repeat back in your own words carefully, making sure the other party knows they've been honestly heard. Good rules.

#307 B-Bob, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I try not to be an ******* toward anybody

9. Buck Turgidson

Right. You very rarely have ever posted dumbass things in the Astros Forum...yet there are still dumbass posts in the Astros Forum.

Deckard, T_Man, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I hear you saying you don't try to be an *******.
    Try harder, clap clap. Sorry, could not resist...;)

T_Man and Deckard like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hey, what is the Ukraine Scandal Megathread? Is that a previous thread with it's title edited, or is it a merge of several threads.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All you need is to make d&d your full-time job. No one follows this for a reason.

dachuda86 likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Merging of multiple threads and re-titled. There were a few threads on the same day that were addressing the topic. I ran with the one that was the original.

Deckard, dachuda86 and KingCheetah like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

15. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump
    can we get this with these threads?
    • Ukraine scandal Megathread
    • The Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump
    • Impeachment live hearing thread Nov 13-14 2019
    maybe these also as they're on the same general topic
    • Was it legal for Trump to ask Ukraine to investigate the Bidens?
    • [Breaking] Whistleblower outed as partisan hack; fired from NSC for leaking

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I think the ukraine scandal megathread should be seperate. Already enough going on there.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Reported actions are up again in here so I figured I would make another post to refresh everyone.

First of all, please use the report function to send in complaints. Don't just attack each other and don't assume that I won't respond because of some political beliefs.

Secondly, I want to be really clear that I'm going to have to step in on these personal beefs that are erupting across multiple threads. Following people around to attack them personally or derail their threads just isn't good BBS citizen behavior. Argue as much as you want, lord knows we all do, but there needs to be a purpose. Prove someone wrong, push back on narratives, stan for your team, whatever, but when this is personal it will be dealt with. We are getting complaints from people NOT INVOLVED that are losing enjoyment in here because so many threads turn into people trolling or attacking the same people on a personal level.

Thanks.

Silent_Bob, KingCheetah and Rashmon like this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Didn't realize the D&D was THAT big a deal. Appreciate what you do here and wouldn't want your job for anything.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Mods anyway you guys can delete all posts prior to 2019?

20. B-Bob

ALL ... or just yours?

R0ckets03 likes this.