1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am going to up my 401K contribution to 15% from 10.
    I am doubling down. I wasn't working during the 2008 crash but this time, I am buying low.

Keeping an eye on AAPL, MSFT, BA etc.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Is it time to buy The Google?

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Can't decide whether to run for the exits or hold.

Not buying in yet, as I still think there's potential further sell off for sure, perhaps meaningful - the national pandemic certainly can and will get worse before better, and we won't know the actual financial impact to individual companies for a while.

I'm not super heavy into equities as a % of my net worth though... maybe 40% at the moment. But it's much higher as a % of liquid net worth.

Kind of feel like I've held through the drop so far, might as well keep holding, but of course it'd be dumb to not take out now if there's another 10%-20% reduction coming...

saitou likes this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to sell because all it takes is for some head of state to die and we are back at 12k Dow

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, definitely glad you dodged that, I think after this, if timed right (and obviously that's hard part right now) it will pay off huge. If someone's stuck already in something aggressive I'd probably just have to let it sit or add to it possibly (I mean depending what it is)

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, this is what could really hurt here, causing more panic/fear

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

legitimate concern. italy's and iran's health ministers died.

#8547 fallenphoenix, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hopefully nothing serious...

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. astros123

astros123 Member

Anyone not looking at UAL is crazy. The airline industry will bounce back.

Sajan likes this.
  10. alethios

alethios Member

Luckily, I'm not retiring anytime soon. I figure I still have 6-7 years with my company (west coast utility),

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you're wondering why the market just went "up" :

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I hope not.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Dow almost back down as much as it was...

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The Iranian health minister has Corona but didn't die, the Italian one never contracted it.

Several High-Ranking Iranian politicians died tho.

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Good catch, I keep getting tripped up. I hope this goes a lot better for everyone soon.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I think this is good idea on 401k in long run definitely get some great returns

17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I'm in almost the exact same position, except I bought puts on banks (which were already in trouble without the virus) last week so some downside is mitigated. Decided to just hold my longs unless there are more mini-relief rallies (I broke even on AMZN earlier in the week). It's hard to time since the market is trying to price in events 6-12 months into the future, with all the talk of recession, is the market pricing in the worst case scenario? Will there be virus forgiveness when companies report on future quarters? Will the fed start buying equities directly like Japan? I've no idea. Mentally prepared i may have to see a portfolio in red for months/years; will hold off for a bit then dollar cost average in when I get future paychecks.

Yung-T, CCity Zero and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

For the Robinhood users out there, is Gold worth it? The 5K instant is what intrigues me as the bank transfer takes forever. Any advice?

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I'm trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it's an oncoming train wreck. Many of the cruise lines have suspended operations until May 1 or beyond. No sports games of any kind for the foreseeable future.

Trying to stack my equities purchases, but kinda hard to do without any sort of clarity.

Does anybody see Dow 10K sometime this year?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It looks like you can try 30 days free, but if you have an in and think it'll be a short daytrade and won't last for the deposit time it makes sense...

Like I know some of us (me, haha) have missed out on calls for quick daytrades but here's an example, and while this might be a story made up after the fact I know someone has had to have made nice money on this:

https://markets.businessinsider.com...urn-coronavirus-oil-markets-2020-3-1028989430

Obviously I'd only invest what you can and know it's risky, but if you're going to deposit 5k anyway and could make thousands now, I'd go for it. Again this is only if you have plans and don't worry about needing the money back in case this doesn't work. But the reason I'm saying now is just because of how volitale it is. Like 2-3 days could cost you big, but then again, if you invest wrong and on bad impulse then it might not be a good idea. Especially if you don't have money you can afford to be without if this goes awful (I'm sure you know this just stating for others).

But if it were me and I felt good on a call, I'd go Gold and take it.