1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why did that young doctor in China die who first alerted the world to the virus? According to this, that would have been very unlikely statistically.

Nook likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How did a country with 1.4 billion people magically stop a pandemic... Wuhan wasn't really that severe considering it's massive, closely packed population -- official numbers look amazing.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I remember a few weeks ago reading about how people in the province were sent back to their slum buildings for quarantine, and officials would barricade them inside. I wonder if they forgot to go back and check on them......

KingCheetah, AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know people at UCSF working to better understand this virus and to create a better faster cheaper test. Nobody is talking about anything but seeing it as a perfectly natural virus transmitted from bats.

malakas likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Maybe because the gov there is able to do things no other gov can do. Cities were and is still locked down after 17 death and 550 infection. It became ghost towns, yet still 80k+ infected (probably much more) with 3k+ death. Imagine NYC with no one in the street. Must be eerie.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. WNBA

WNBA Member

many young doctors have died in wuhan. some of them are not even 30 years old. they died mainly because of the shortage of the resources in wuhan.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Unfortunately that is not the case.
    The 34-year-old hero ophthalmologist died after receiving antibodies, antivirals, antibiotics, oxygen and having his blood pumped through an artificial lung.

Short of inventing a new antiviral drug for the coronavirus it can't get much better than this.

The Viral amount is a factor when it comes to doctors and nurses and also

"Some people may be more genetically susceptible, possibly because they have a greater abundance of the distinctly shaped protein receptors in their respiratory epithelial cells that the virus targets, Taubenberger said. It’s also possible certain individuals have some minor immunodeficiency or other host factors that relate to underlying illnesses."

Very simply just because it says that 30 year olds have very low mortality rate that doesn't mean that everyone will live through the virus.

It could also mean that specific families or even whole populations where these genetic characteristic is more widespread will have disproportionately higher mortality for all ages compared to the world standard.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

lots of doctors have died actually, including recently in Italy and many are sick now in the US.

malakas likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

10. malakas

malakas Member

Question..acen't vaccines completely covered by the most basic of medical insurances? Medicaid Medicare whatever it is called?

How much you think a new developed vaccine will cost? 10 dollars, 20?

Also my other question is how much % of their salary does a middle class Texan pay in taxes?

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Vaccines have varying costs, varying between 10-200 dollars a dose. A newly developed vaccine I'm betting will be closer to 200. I wouldn't know how they are covered as an adult because I don't have insurance (fun fact Texas leads America with the highest uninsured rate at 20%), but as a child that was covered by Medicaid until the age of 21, I believe they were free outside of the doctor's visit co-pay fee (20-40 dollars) as long as they were recommended by the doctor.

A middle-class tax bracket is between 12-24% depending on what you call middle class, it's also progressive. Not a texas rate, it's a federal income tax for the entire country. We don't have state taxes in Texas like some other states do. We have a 6.25% sales tax, that can go up to 8.25% depending on the county. All counties with large cities like Houston have a full 8.25% sales tax. Then you have property taxes that fluctuate greatly depending on the location, and value of the property. The average property tax for texas is 1.8% for the state, but it can be a lot higher in high-value areas like big cities, lot less in rural areas. Average Texan pays 2k+ a year in property tax (if you are lucky enough to own a property).

There are also tax write-offs and child tax credits that can greatly affect how much you pay in taxes.

EDIT- as for medicare, going off of reading and not experience as a young man. Medicare is for people 65+

Vaccines are covered by medicare part B. In order to enroll in part B, you must pay a monthly premium that costs a minimum $145 a month with a 200 dollar deductible.

So, I guess retired 65+ people who can't afford part B are screwed, and well as uninsured people. How much-insured adults under 65 have to pay I have no idea, I'm sure it varies greatly, like everything.

#931 ThatBoyNick, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Hakeemtheking and malakas like this.
  12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Stay in your house, if you don't we shoot you, oh and lying.

Considering that 85% of people who get it, will never know they had it (either no symptoms or symptoms so minor they will not realise), it's basically impossible to contain other than with lockdowns.

I'm not sure you could have a worse virus that one that's either deadly or harmless depending on health factors (some of them just random chance of the genetic lottery)

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

We pay two major taxes in Texas other than sales tax on consumer items. Payroll tax and property tax (Which is our version of wealth tax). Because I’m in sales I’m a bit higher but most people pay 20% ish in payroll tax including Medicare and social security. Property tax I think I pay around 3% of my home value because I’m annexed by two counties, but most people are probably around 2% or about 4,000 a year on a home around 200k in value.

Are vaccines covered ... for most Americans with an employee plan yes essentially with the cost of your co pay and if you haven’t hit you’re deductible you might pay like up to 20%. Medicare is likely similar, but only really old people are allowed to get Medicare now well into retirement.

The issue we have here is the large amount of folks who have no insurance or crappy insurance plans when your company goes cheap on their plan. Many people here in the US won’t get a vaccine because stepping foot into a doctors office without insurance to get that vaccine (if they’ll even see you) is insanely expensive. Like 100 bare minimum.

So that’s why the US is so susceptible. If you can’t vaccinate millions of course spread will be worse. You also have de regulation under Trump that has happened that’ll allow drug companies to price gauge to the extreme if they hold the only patented vaccine. That vaccine if allowed to will be insanely expensive. Here in the US drug companies are basically allowed to monopolize. Go look up how expensive epi pens are nowadays.

We are pretty crazy here in the US. Sh&t is expensive here.

malakas likes this.
  14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

50-plus is not young... also may have had bad lungs on account of living in China... also may have smoked...

15. malakas

malakas Member

Unfortunately MANY doctors who died in China were late 20s and 30s.
    There are also at least 2 doctors in Italy who died in the last 2 days, but I dont have their age yet. They were not retired so younger than 60.

If everyone who smoked regardless of age died, then most of the world better start digging their graves. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here is what is coming out of Italy right now :

The technical note spells out how patients with coronavirus experience a severe infection in all of their lungs, requiring major ventilation support. It also reveals the effect of the virus, which affects blood pressure, the heart, kidneys and liver with patients needing sustained treatment.

In an alarming development, Dr Nattino said younger patients were being affected, saying the ages of patients ranged from 46 to 83 with only a small number having important underlying conditions.

He added: “The last days are showing a younger population involved as if the elderly and weaker part of the population crashed early and now younger patients, having exhausted their physiological reserves, come to overcrowded, overwhelmed hospitals with little resources left.”

16. malakas

malakas Member

Thank you for explaining.
    ONLY 6,8 to 8,6 sales tax? Thats almost 1/4 of the ones in the EU. Food must be pretty cheap?
    I guess they think with such low sales tax you can afford to pay for healthcare?

But I have checked a bit the prices for basic health services like X-rays and MRIs.
    A complete uninsured person ie. a tourist, who goes to private clinic in europe can have an X-ray for about 10 -20 euros more if it is special. This is in private clinic not public hospitals.
    But the prices I saw in the US are at least 3 times that and the same with MRIs. Are your X-Rays made of gold?

I think that the doctors are robbing you blind

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

How many of those doctors were exhausted from working insane shifts?

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Trump below:

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

They definitely were. Not only is the viral amount many more times higher than the average person but exhaustion and overworking.
    This will happen everywhere because every healthcare system will be stretched.

Prayers for all doctors and nurses and hospital staff! They will be the most vulnerable.

20. foh

foh Member

Assuming around 10 Million people in that particular demographic die (around 11% of the Chinese population is 65+, ~50% contagion rate, 10% mortality rate). Given that the average cost of healthcare per year is $500 and life expectancy of 77, around 70 trillion would be saved for China over the next 7 years. I'm pretty skeptical that this is worth it considering the potential political unrest and current loss of trillions worth of GDP and the fact that older population in China likely adds to economy knowing their tradition of hard work.

Not sure why I'm curious enough to go through this morbid type of modeling.. I'm guessing that this conspiracy theory is probably a popular one.