1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Really good ad, especially for (fingers crossed) the general

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

And this is why the Dems will fail. They are fighting the future (and present) of their own party.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

I don't think anyone is voting today based on Iraq 18 years ago. There are way too many more current issues people are focused on.

jiggyfly and Corrosion like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

But ...we're still in Iraq today 18 years later?

5. Major

Major Member

We are - but again, its not anyone's focus. How many times has Iraq come up in the debates, for example? It's certainly not something Trump is going to use in the general election - last thing he wants is to talk foreign policy.

Bernie wins by focusing on himself and overcoming people's doubts/concerns about him. He's not really going to succeed by trying to bring down his opponents because people will still be "but Bernie's my alternative?". That's the hesitance he needs to break through.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Guess we are in different circles, most people I know are focused and concerned with our sustained activity in the middle east, many are very aware children born after 9/11 are now being deployed in Iraq, most I know want us to get out.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No one really knows that.

This is what people said about Trump, we had a term for it...Never Trumpers...

We really have no idea, people say that now because they still have the power to vote for Biden, but when the option is for Bernie or Trump? We'll see.

I do feel though when it comes to Democratic voters...we KNOW that young voters will chill the F out at home on voting day if they aren't into the candidate. We know that for a fact.

Personally, I think Bernie is the only one that has a movement going and I'm willing to bet that older Democrats will drag their way to vote to get rid of Trump more than I'm willing to bet that younger voters will accept Biden. I think it's far more likely they peace out if Biden is the nominee. Especially if there is some controversy around it like a brokered convention and superdelegates getting involved...yeah, younger votes will peace right out of that election and focus on 2024.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

respectfully disagree. I think there are a whole lot of moderate to conservative Dems who are like this guy:

Corrosion likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no, that think like that guy. I'm very sympathetic to his argument and have previously suggested I'd consider doing the same thing

Corrosion, Nook and justtxyank like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, but there were many Never Trump Republicans too that end up voting for Trump because "Clinton was the lesser of two evils."

Right now, for 'moderate' democrats their options are Biden, Bernie, and Trump. If/When it is Bernie v Trump I think it changes the equation quite a bit.

At the end of the day, if you are a democrat, if you care about Citizens United, if you care about the Environment, if you care about healthcare for more people, the lesser of two evils is Bernie, not Trump. It is fine you feel that way but you are no moderate democrat with all due respect.

12. Major

Major Member

2018 says otherwise. A bunch of young voters voted for Dems they had never heard of because of ... Trump.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Voting for a congress rep is a lot different than voting for president.

There seems to be this mentality to take this voting block for granted that I just don't really get, if it is Biden he will have to do MUCH better with young voters. Right now he's terrible with young voters and I don't think that up and changes just because Trump is on the other side of the ticket. Bernie excites young voters and if Biden wins he needs to understand why that is and try to tap into it instead of giving them a stiff arm.

14. Major

Major Member

It is - younger voters come out even less for midterms and they showed up in droves.

I don't want my Presidential candidate reliant on the least reliable voting block, especially given that we know they are almost certain to not show up in 2022 regardless (see Obama 2008 and 2010). You could easily say the same about Bernie and older voters. But whereas younger might stay home, older voters will show up regardless - and might just vote for the other guy.

But I agree that if Biden wins, he needs to do outreach there. I think the most likely is using the VP slot - not on Bernie, but on someone that truly excites progressives.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I believe you when you say you personally agree with that sentiment, where I disagree is the thought that this is a common sentiment for the majority of independents and moderate conservatives who vote for Dems. This is a common sentiment for many establishment democrats, moderate democrats, but NOT independents and moderate conservatives, they overwhelmingly support Sanders, I believe due to populism.

If you disagree, then could you explain to me why Sanders killed Hillary amongst independent voters in the 2016 primary?

A Primary That Pitted Democrats Against Independents
    According to exit polls, one of the biggest gaps between Clinton and Sanders has been supporters’ actual loyalty to the Democratic Party.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

because this is no longer the 2016 primary. And Sanders isn't running against Hillary.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Here is the thing, a lot of young voters are angry with the party and some of them actively want to see it torn down. It reminds me a lot of the Tea Party movement, they want people they see as corrupt out and more people in that they feel represent what they want.

I know a lot of people feel that the 2018 elections were a rebuke of progressivism, I'm not sure it's so simple. I know something like 65% of the new congress members support M4A for example, so while moderate dems did win, I think what it means to be moderate now vs say...2004, is very very different. The party has moved left thanks to people like Bernie and Warren and others that are dragging it that way.

I do think though that you might be right in the end, that younger voters WILL vote for Biden...but I think some outreach HAS to be done. There can't be a Tim Kaine pick, he has to show that he's willing to look into Education reform and take an urgent stance on the environment.

I mentioned it some weeks ago but there has to be a bone thrown to the progressive wing of the party. If not, I think they will peace out.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

But why? Hillary was much more moderate then Sanders. Sanders this year, according to entrance/exit polling has won the majority of independents in Iowa, NH and, Nevada? How is he doing it OS?

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

1LWDHfe5-DSne484-LWAdEQ.gif

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Populism is rampant on both sides of the political spectrum. Americans want higher wages, they want healthcare, they want the wealthy to pay higher taxes and they don't like corruption.