1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden on Giannis: “I wish I could just run and just dunk. That takes no skill at all.”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Macdaddy91, Feb 28, 2020.

1. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I don't get how anyone can like Giannis' style of play. It's truly awful. All he does is bash his way to the paint and force up a heavily contested layup and dunk, knowing he's probably going to make them because of his height and wingspan being bigger than most players that are guarding him. Even his jump shot looks ugly and slow. Not to mention, most of Giannis points don't come from him making his own plays, it comes from his own teammates setting him up. People make out that Giannis gets double teamed as much as Harden does, but Giannis gets those double teams because he's going towards the paint all the time, which would force a double team on most players who make their way to the paint. Harden literally gets double teamed at half court.... totally different and a more difficult situation for Harden.

Harden creates pretty much every point he scores from his own plays. He also does this whilst getting tightly guarded and double teamed. Harden has many ways he can score and get assists. Giannis doesn't. If you take away Giannis' paint and give him a wide open shot, you know he's going to miss most. It's a bit like Westbrook in a sense. But with Westbrook, he can dribble and is much faster on the ball than Giannis. Plus, Westbrook has more technique with his finishing around the rim than Giannis does.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Harden lost to the greatest team of all time jn the playoffs 3 years in a row and averaged over 30 points. If that is choking then wtf did Giannis do last year?? Why does the choking argument only work with Harden. Hell every other player in the league got destroyed by the dubs, Giannis never even made it there.

slothy420, BallaDoc, BigMaloe and 7 others like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

I actually haven't heard anyone outright say they like Giannis' style of play, except maybe Shaq. But that's because Shaq did the exact same thing in order to dominate the league.

The media likes to use some variant of "Giannis dominates" for each and every game, but I don't think I've actually heard a sound bite of an analyst say they like Giannis' game.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I also haven’t forgotten how this b*tch Giannis elbowed Harden in the face during the ASG as well...fck this dude

slothy420, jcf, bballjunkie and 10 others like this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think both players are somewhat mechanical in the way they score buckets. Both of them have certain moves that they spam over and over in a game.

Maybe that’s a credit to their dominance. They can be so effective even when the defense knows what they’re going to do. In both cases, it can get a little boring (especially from the vantage point of an opposing team’s fan).

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well what Giannis did was a bit over the top - to attack Harden not once but twice out of the blue just came across as well, douchey.

8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

But, man…while thinking about this way, i suddenly feel goooooooooooooooood: espn brewing the best script knitting up feud, hatred n enmity between two man of which genre this league having been droughted for too long.
    Thats gonna be a golden ticket for us heading finals.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

The best thing for the Rockets is this beef gets even worse. NBA will push for a Rockets Bucks finals. MVP vs MVP.

Clippers/Lakers Round 2
    Rockets/Lakers WCF

Rockets / Bucks Finals

Profit?

slothy420, joshuaao, BigMaloe and 5 others like this.
  10. amaru

amaru Member

He really would though.

D-rock likes this.
  11. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

12. SemisolidSnake

He's definitely got the running part right. I still have that recent video of Giannis taking like a dozen steps without dribbling stuck in my mind.

slothy420, snowconeman22 and D-rock like this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

I bet Westbrook has been pushing James to take a shot at Giannis forever. Russell has brought out savage James.

BaselineFade and D-rock like this.
  14. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Oh I get that! He just doesn't look like a jerk when he says it. He went as far as he possibly could go without looking like a jerk. I see him winning people over with this - it's easy to see he's been victimized over the years by the media.

Just stating that he was defending himself and none of this was unprompted - 100% warranted.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Half of Giannis shots are at the rim where he is devastatingly effective. Everywhere else he is pedestrian.

The key to stopping Giannis is to keep him from finishing at the rim - obviously very difficult to do but other teams have done it. He's not the greatest FT shooter so I would find some bodies to throw at him and wear him down with physical play at the end of the qtr.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You are running an old narrative out on this board like we don't watch every Rockets game and see the impact Harden has on both ends of the court. You are entitled to your opinion, but the lazy, reductionist BS is not going to fly around here.

TAB, jcf and D-rock like this.
  17. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

F*ck Scottie Quitten and Rachel Nichols. Both are full of sh*t

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Attacked Harden 4 times, 2 times off the court and 2 times on the court.

The slingshot to the face at close range and deliberate elbow to face when he was not even going for rebound.

slothy420 likes this.
  19. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

What's not even close is you, and reality...where do all you people come from? Just to be clear "all you people" = idiots

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Giannis ALWAYS rises to the occasion, ALWAYS takes team to playoffs, ALWAYS takes team to championship???? LMAO!!!

Scotty is pure hating b**** and jealous liar as well. Only Harden's teams have challenged GSW, every team has lay down and taken their beating on and off court.

Rachel Nichols and BSPN are baiters as well as haters.

Amin is a no talent POS.

These are same media that always have to walk their talk back because they have been wrong every single time.

At least POS Russillo admits this.

slothy420, jcf, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.