1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LA Times] Column: Did Astros win by cheating? The numbers say no

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Feb 27, 2020.

1. TheresTheDagger

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There’s so much shade thrown in that article that I don’t even care.

“The Astros didn’t benefit from cheating but they’re the only team that cheated for sure and they definitely did the worst thing in the history of baseball that totally shamed the game. But yeah it didn’t benefit them. Also their title doesn’t count.”

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Can't wait til Rockets eliminate Lakers AND Clippers on Harden game ending free throws on 4 point plays.

JayGoogle, RayRay10, Tfor3 and 5 others like this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

The article doesn't say anything new since he mostly just referred to Rob Arthur's analysis which was done quite a while ago, but nobody cared because baseball prospectus is a pay site.

In the end what should've happened was that the Astros hitters have their nerds crunch the numbers to see if they were really being helped. But I'm guessing they were successful at an unprecedented level so everyone just assumed that the banging was really helpful and charged forward. In the end what happened happened. Not much is going to matter beyond the fact that we as fans probably should expect the team to continue be good rather than fall off the cliff like every other fan thinks they will.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It has been a tough time to be an Astros fan in Los Angeles. That's all I can say.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's generally tough to deal with LA sports fans... but I can imagine. My condolences.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes. I normally don't mind Clipper fans though sometimes at the games they can be idiots. Laker fans are the worst. For a while I was almost feeling sorry for Dodger fans, but I can't really even talk with them about Baseball for the moment.

Nook likes this.
  8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I have a good friend in your boat. You are not alone.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I hear you ... it's hard to even go to the grocery store with an Astros shirt on. At this point, the Stros need to just show out this year

10. SemisolidSnake

Thanks for actually digging in there to report back what the sense of they actually said. I don't know why Clutchfans is so into clickbaiting its own members.

11. SemisolidSnake

You'll be waiting a long, long time for a game to end like that, especially by the Rockets against a hallowed NBA team. The Rockets just straight up beating down the Lakers (LA doesn't care about the Clippers) is a legit possibility, though, and that will be great to see.

12. SemisolidSnake

Did the Dodgers lose year after year by sucking? The numbers say yes.

bcast89, JayGoogle, Tfor3 and 4 others like this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

#1 Nobody was trying to "click bait" you.
    #2 Not every Astros fan is aware of the analysis they discuss.
    #3 There is a LOT more in this article than what BigM stated.
    #4 Don't be "that guy".

jiggyfly and eliefor3 like this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You’re right I didn’t represent that well. The information that the article got their meat from was legitimate and good. It’s worth reading. You just have to accept the LA times inserting their own jabs into it.

#14 BigM, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The story is that ... the Astros hitters were so wildly incompetent that knowing which pitch was coming was not helpful ... or maybe ... the Astros hitters were so wildly competent that knowing which pitch was coming did not move the needle.

CrazyJoeDavola likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did not actually say that but there where a couple of digs.

You should read it for yourself it definitely was not clickbait.

IMO the article was very fair.

17. SemisolidSnake

I'm not trying to be "that guy." My mistake was bringing the word "clickbait" into the Astros forum from the GARM, where it's a constant and frustrating problem. I shouldn't do that. I do think that summarizing an article or video post really is a good idea, especially if you'd like to convince someone else to take their time to read the more in-depth analysis they won't know is there.

Also, there's so much insane bullshit being said about the Astros right now that it's going to take a lot of convincing for me to go into the one of the lion's dens of that to read their take. I was actually going to click on it, but then I saw a post that seemed to confirm my suspicions before I did, so instead I decided to be openly cynical.

What I should have done was not read the article based on no summary and also not respond to one person's take on it that appeared to fit my own confirmation bias.

I'll probably go read the article now. Sorry, @BigM for accusing you of something that wasn't there and sorry @jiggyfly for misconstruing what you said. I'm still going to be highly skeptical of nearly all things said about the Astros, though, because it's just a horror show out there right now.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Na I couldn't stand Dodger fans even before all this happen. Clippers are ok. They were always my LA team if I had to pick. Just like at one time way back when I liked the Warriors because of their name. But was never a fan of either just use to rather root for those 2 then Fakers.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah, I will say when I've been to Dodger games, I couldn't stand them, but the friends I have that are Dodger fans are okay, so I was probably overly lenient on the Dodger fans.

Hemingway likes this.
  20. CALI_MOST_WANTD

My friends and family around that are LA lakers and Dodgers fans always annoyed me why we always end up talking crap about each other team lol. I Just put up with it since we friends lol