1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

NewRoxFan, Amiga and AleksandarN like this.
  2. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

[​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's likely that it will spread here.

Prepare for the worse, hope for the best.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...eak-iran-deaths-south-korea-cases/4829278002/

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters Friday that U.S. health officials are preparing for the coronavirus to become a pandemic.

“We’re not seeing community spread here in the United States, yet, but it’s very possible, even likely, that it may eventually happen,” she said
    . “Our goal continues to be slowing the introduction of the virus into the U.S. This buys us more time to prepare communities for more cases and possibly sustained spread.

She said the CDC is working with state and local health departments “to ready our public health workforce to respond to local cases.” These measures include collaboration with supply chain partners, hospitals, pharmacies and manufacturers to determine what medical supplies are needed.

She said the “day may come” here where we have to shut down schools and businesses like China has done.

Meanwhile in Geneva, the director-general of the World Health Organization, alarmed by the recent spread of the coronavirus from Iran, warned Friday that while the chance to contain the virus globally still exists, "the window of opportunity is narrowing."

"We still have a chance to contain it, but we have to prepare for other eventualities," said Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. "This could go in many directions, it could be even messy. It is in our hands now ... we can reverse or avert serious crisis. If we don't, if we squander this opportunity, then there could be a serious problem on our hands."

No Worries likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/3...ited-states-public-health-emergency-response/

In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it isIf the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is—not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark.

No Worries likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I remember being a super spreader back when I was 12 or so. Dad would get a yard of mulch delivered and I would spend my Saturday with a wheelbarrow and shovel spreading it into all the flower beds. It was super fun.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The real experts I'm reading are kind of split between pandemic / non-pandemic. If it's pandemic, most see it reaching and infecting 40-70% of the earth's human population. That's, um... a lot of people.

Wash your hands, fam.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

ok, maybe you win this round.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's really a mixed bag. I feel like I'm seeing reports and twitter science about how ****ed the USA is every day, but it's important to stress, there have only been 2 cases that were contracted in the USA, and both were from only contracted from marriage partners who recently came back from travel in China.

So if your husband or wife is coming from China, your odds so far are 2 in who knows how many tens of thousands, outside of that scenario there have been zero contractions in the USA. We are a country of 330 million people with immense business ties to China, with a large population of travelers, and Chinese Americans who visit China often, this virus started nearly 5 months ago, and we've had virtually no spread so far.

It's also important to remember, 50k+ die every year in the US from flu viruses, in 2018 we had 80k die from flu viruses, in our country of 330 million. So far, there have been less than 3k deaths reported worldwide (7.8 billion).

The rate on new cases reported is starting drop, I'm hoping this peaks soon in China, and that most countries will be able to have strong enough systems in place to stomp it out before letting it blow up like it did in the Hubei province.

What worries me, is that the death in comparison to those who have recovered is a whopping 9%. I'm not so sure the true death rate is 3% like earlier predicted unless I'm missing something on why the death rate vs recovered rate shouldn't be taken more seriously than the death rate vs active case rate.

justtxyank, B-Bob and Hakeemtheking like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Well I'm ready to do my part and get some fake sniffles, ditch work and call it the Orange Flu.

COMMUNIZM 4EVER

FAZZISMS 4EVER!!!

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You can clown me all you want. I spend at least two weeks per year in China and it is obvious that their government cannot be trusted. You simply cannot give them the benefit of the doubt. They lack the same ethical standards as most western countries.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Study from last week says it is 20 times as deadly as the flu.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...irus-hospital-director-dies-covid/4792597002/

A highly contagious virus that is 20x as deadly as the flu will result in over a million deaths in the US - and not just amongst the sick and elderly.

dachuda86 likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Your "points" are unsubstantiated and based on what?

You are saying the coronavirus is a made-up emergency because China can not be trusted - but why would China make up an outbreak??? To help elect Sanders? You really think China is shutting their country down and killing their economy to make Trump lose?

How does one refute your random unsubstantiated conjectures and theories?

@bigtexxx knows! He's been to China! That's like, "I can see Russia from my house"

superfob and No Worries like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It will also help to not breath for the next 28 days ;)

The passengers on that cruise ship appear to have been infected, while in their cabins, from air circulation.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Should have slept on the deck :)

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I also saw stats that

80% of the infected had mild cases (they might not even knew that they had the flu)
    10% required hospitalization
    5% required IC (because they were effing dying)

Here is another stat. The Spanish Flu (1918-1920) had a mortality rate of 2-3%.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Exactly why I am worried... that thing is very deadly... 5-8 % death rate i saw in one study. 20 is the conservative estimate actually....

If we overrun our medical system that will increase.

Not to panic anyone but yall should consider getting some basic things ready if there is a food run.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No it's not that high - highest is probably 2% and likely lower since they are probably missing a lot of people who are infected but show no symptoms.

But even a 1% death rate is disastrous

dachuda86 likes this.
  18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yes, imagine if 100 million people get infected in a country, that is 1 million death.

19. HTM

HTM Member

I hand sanitize like a champ. I'm not afraid.

*Yes, I know you can get it through the air.

dachuda86 likes this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I hope you are right... probably a lot of unreported cases...