1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ohmarioyes

ohmarioyes Member

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

just Iike some national geographic horror documentry (IMOHO-Imagination), locusts swarms heading to China, would it become another intermediate host to covid-19!

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12 monkeys is real

#683 tinman, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    mikol13 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

If there was one single web page or video that could explain this situation to a total moron, what would that web page be?

5. Buck Turgidson

B-Bob and tinman like this.
  6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

the **** is inches from the fan, barreling towards it hard and fast. Heir leader says all is well.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Not helping. I was serious.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

Iran doesnt have land borders with China and its not a touristic destination for chinese and doesnt have significant trade connections.

So how did Iran got an outbreak?

They got it through religious pilgrims from Pakistan or Afghanistan.

We only found they have an outbreak because their healthcare system is more advanced and vigilant than these other countries.

Almost certainly there are outbreaks in Pakistan, Iraq and Afghanistan as well that are still in the dark.

Until the incubation period is over and there are thousands of cases of pneumonia all of a sudden.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

I advise anyone who is going to visit a hospital or a clinic even in the US to wear a mask.

Even if you look like a paranoid nutjob and people stare at you.

Both in Italy and South Korea the outbreaks are centered around hospitals where nurses and doctors get infected and then procceed to infect hundreds of patients.

If you want to know where is the most likely place for the virus to be found in america that isnt chinatowns or chinese restaurants but hospitals. (and airports)

10. Buck Turgidson

Oh, if you do want to help, what was your crawfish boil recipe, I lost it a few years ago...gonna do that around Easter...

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The more you limit the actual carriers, transmitting from China to Iran, the greater the possibility of wildly different virii between countries. Regression towards the mean. If one individual with one weird strain is the only source of transmission between countries the seed for the entire epidemic in the new country will be grown from that outlier strsin.

Without knowing specifics, I it sounds like people are maybe reading too much meaning into it if the dominant virus in China is significantly tweaked in Iran.

I worked in a hospital for a couple of years and I'm pretty sure I was sick the entire time. Obviously not as bad when it is just a rhinovirus, but hospitals are filled with people with compromised immune systems packed together.

malakas likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

There has still only been 14 cases in the US outside of the infected people purposely brought back over from overseas (soon to be 31 additional people), who will all be in quarantine. The number for non repatriated individuals is remarkably low, and hasn't budged in a week.

This thing is weird, on one hand its scary as ****, 79k infected and rapidly counting.

But, on the other hand, it seems to be staying put in China extremely well, especially in the Hubei province. Outside of Hubei the count level less then 13k, and the death toll is less than 100.

That single cruise ship has had more confirmed cases than any other single foreign country, which is crazy considering the populations at risk.

Right now, the entire world outside of the Hubei province & the cruise ship, has a total of 13,706 confirmed cases and 107 deaths. Only 528 of these cases have been caught outside of China, only 9 people have died outside of China, meaning the chances of somebody contracting this disease outside of China / that cruise ship right now is astronomically low. Of course this can change within a matter of weeks/months.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The virus does have a number of unusual characteristics -- if it gets a solid foothold in Africa we are probably going to have a serious pandemic across the continent. All that said in the grand scheme of things this virus will be an interesting footnote in history, but nothing like the Spanish flu which is the standard bearer of our fears of a strange global viral pandemic with high lethality.

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Why don’t you think it could be as bad as the Spanish flu? It seems to be an evolving situation with the capacity to be pretty gnarly

malakas likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You think 2 billion will become infected and 200 million will die from this by 2021?

16. Buck Turgidson

Are you kidding?

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I’ve been reading the internet fellas, some of the spookier conspiracies of mutated bioweapons. I’m going to go buy 1000 rounds of 7.63x39 and a 1000 rounds of .223 tomorrow and burn my copy of the Jakarta pandemic.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If the same Spanish Influenza were to break out today it wouldn't be nearly as deadly because of the vast improvement of our understanding of how viruses move through the population and what strict controls need to be enacted to decrease the spread. In 1918 large numbers of people were moving around the world and the focus was the war not a bad flu. There really weren't widespread protocols for how we should react to a severe virus beyond simple advice like avoid crowded places. The attitude was very much one of tough it out and fear is the mother of infection -- the lack of media to quickly provide updates and force action was another problem. The virus was basically established worldwide before people realized that it wasn't just a nasty flu season.

Regardless if there is a true extreme pandemic there isn't much we would be able to do. Let's say if this corona virus had already infected 20 million in China and another 10 million worldwide with millions of new cases each week beyond hiding in a bunker the virus would have to run its course through the population.

Fortunately this corona virus while unusual in certain regards isn't going to mutate and suddenly become hyper infectious -- we have a good base of info on how this virus works and how to control its spread.

Joshfast likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Bring that much ammo and enough food and I'll let you into the compound.

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I just woke up to pee, and I gotta get back to sleep.......gotta long drive tomorrow. I’ll try to find that recipe written down here or recreate it. As far as ONE website for this virus, I’m not sure there is one. There’s way too many unknowns, the situation is rapidly evolving, and countries all seem to have varying levels of ability to both deal with this new virus AND to properly identify it. It doesn’t appear that the US is even close to leading the charge on identifying cases, but we should be better equipped than many on dealing with it (once the panic button is hit). I find myself following
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DrEricDing And then linking from his posts to other stories and epidemiologists/virologists/doctors and their accounts. It doesn’t look all that good. More deadly than the seasonal flu, very contagious, no vaccine or naturally occurring antibodies, and certainly the ability to overrun healthcare systems in mass outbreaks. “Maybe” not here.....but gonna be bad in a lot of places. Unless it mutates in a favorable way.