1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Walker

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Is he good enough to be the Texans backup? That will be the question of this XFL season. He plays a lot like Watson and is a joy to watch.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dude is definitely worth a preseason look.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

PJ, if you know what's good for your potential NFL career, stay as far away from the Houston Asschins. :D

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If he gets invited to camp, hes taking DW's job. It was good knowing you, Deshaun.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Lock’em up Roughnecks!!!!

6. HstnSprtsFan101

Reminds me of Tyrod Taylor. I think he’s definitely talented enough to be a backup in the league. The XFL is going to need to do everything possible to keep the star QB’s of the league with them. Right now PJ is probably the face of the league. Would love to see him stay in Houston one way or another.

7. conquistador#11

3 and D guy with a mean sneaker collection?
    And can he play special teams as well as receiver

#7 conquistador#11, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Rodman23 and BigShasta like this.
  8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Worth a shot

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

If anything, some team will snag him up so they can simulate playing against watson/jackson/etc. during practice. I wonder what would pay more if XFL gains more popularity, starting XFL QB or 2nd/3rd string QB in NFL.

HstnSprtsFan101 likes this.
  11. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

The little bit I saw of him he seemed really fast and decisive with his head up. I wonder how long XFL teams are going to be able to keep their talent or is the NFL eventually going to leach them all away.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

He has pocket presence, which is half the battle, but I need to see more of his arm.

13. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

If Case friggin Keenum can start in the NFL then PJ can. Its just a matter of PJ landing in the right spot for what he does. They're very similiar in size but PJ has much more arm talent. Pj is going to have to read a REAL NFL defense but he's got talent....

Fulgore likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

You couldn’t even fit PJ Walkers stats into Case Keenums jockstrap.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Once under an XFL contract, they can't sign with an NFL team until after the XFL Championship game. I'm curious if a player would walk away after playing some eye catching games figuring they have put enough on film to get an NFL teams attention and not wanting to risk injury or fatigue with playing possibly 12 games before NFL training camps start.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NFL minimum salary is like $480,000, so I'm pretty sure from a single year dollar perspective it is way more lucrative to be in the NFL. Being on a team's practice squad, however, is probably much closer to what they make in the XFL. Might still be worth it to a player but they might be more inclined to do the XFL thing until they build up enough highlights to convince someone to sign a real contract and not a practice squad thing.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Majority of the XFL players have gotten a shot or at least look in the NFL at some point, even if just at training camp. And at the end, these guys weren't able to make a practice squad roster. I think some guys will definitely get another look, PJ Walker being a likely candidate, but I don't think a team is going to offer more than a training camp invite, maybe a non-guaranteed contract at the absolute most.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You are right there, but, Football is a sport that is more about how you use the pieces than the pieces themselves.

Hoodie proves that every year with his rag tag group of players.

I don't think no other sport has reliably made stars out of low round draft picks or undrafted players than the NFL. It wouldn't surprise me if the XFL produces some gems. Brady, Owens, Arian Foster, Terell Davis, Warner... these XFL players are guys who were given shots but only 'kinda' shots.

A lot of players that come in 7th round pick, undrafted, are on really short leashes...while a guy drafted first round will be given multiple tries to fail, a late round draft pick will be on a short leash and quickly replaced.

PJ Tucker played a few pre-season games and that's it. It's likely he's gotten better since then and without the XFL no one would have seen that.

Blatz and gucci888 like this.
  19. DCRocket

DCRocket Member

I’ve watched PJ every year. I’m a Temple alum and booster. Kids a gamer. Rhule picked him to lead the school. Rhule is now coaching in the NFL and will CRUSH BoB. No comparison.

20. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

The Steelers actually tried snagging Walker just for that reason before the XFL season started but were told no.

Being a 2nd/3rd string QB in the NFL would pay more than a top starter in the XFL (even if their team won all the games). If Cardale Jones or PJ Walker get a contract that guarantees them to be on the 53-man active roster, oh they'll definitely bolt no question. They'd be fools not to.

But I don't think any NFL team will offer them that. More likely a camp invite or a reserve/futures contract. So the question would be for them if it it's worth being a XFL star QB or leave for the NFL with just a chance of hoping to make it to the active roster.