1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 12, 2020.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Press conference could've been better, but the owner wanted apologies and that's what they got. Not everyone has to like it, and again, I'm just glad Spring ball is back. We can shut everyone up by winning it all this year....#stealitback

RayRay10 and Htown Legend like this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Winning it all this year is going to take a Revenge Tour like no other. This team has a target on its back like none I've ever seen. So far, given Crane's sentiment (and some of the players), I'm not sure I have the confidence that they can get it done. Some guys have the proper "**** YOU" attitude that it's going to take, but I haven't seen it from everyone yet. Maybe Dusty can bring it out as the season goes on.

lw17 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO I knew there was no way Dusty would do anything without his platonic baseball husband.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As long as they're all healthy, they'll be fine.

Will be very curious once the first HBP starts... and if they're really trying to be malicious/injure people... what kind of action MLB takes to try and deter that.

lw17 and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Unless the commissioner is a true ****ing idiot, he has already sent a message to all teams that any retaliatory actions will be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh brother.

SemisolidSnake and texans1095 like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, he should probably see the message hasn't been that well received if there are still active players tweeting about what is likely to happen...

He's also let the media dictated the terms of this story ad nauseam... other leagues would not have allowed it to get this far, regardless of the transgression.

If anything, other teams that were already mostly an afterthought (the middle class of MLB) are now nowhere to be found in a public spotlight... which doesn't help the league's goal of expanding its audience.

Every single baseball writer that exists is writing about the Astros, nothing else.

lw17, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironic that the public thinks Correa comes out the “best” from yesterday’s apologies.

clearly they haven’t been exposed to this BBS filter that makes everything Correa does piss all posters off.

BigM likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If not for his injury history, Correa would be loved on here like no other

he still has the talent to be the best in baseball, not just the best on this team

I predict he stays healthy this year, hits 45 HR and is clearly the best player in baseball, but finishes 8th in MVP voting

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Correa was healthy in 2018 and 2019 playoffs....imagine the amount of additional hate the Astros would have if they were 3-time World Series Champs.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I still think there's something unforetold that rubs people the wrong way.

Ever since his callup, where people were already lamenting his eventual detraction to NY (even though he's never ever ever come close to saying that), or last year where he was mashing/healthy throughout the first half with very little appreciation or excitement.

Yes, he needs to prove he can stay healthy... but even injury prone players don't get hyper-criticized for every little thing they do.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wasn't Correa one of the better producers in the 2018 ALCS? I guess better is relative... the entire lineup, minus Springer, stunk.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Is expecting him to be offered a ton of money by a bigger market club and expecting him to take it, equal to hate? I'm happy when players perform well with the Astros, and don't begrudge them if they take an offer elsewhere. If it came off as hate from me, I apologize.

What I've seen on Correa since 2017 has been very weird. He looks like he's played hurt...people whine. He takes time off to get better people whine. He likely makes a BS story to cover something he shouldn't be doing...people whine. That last one, sure, I can see being upset...(but really the upset was about the 1st 2 things and people were using the 3rd one as an excuse to hide their frustrations over first two).

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think I would want to avoid the brunt of this nonsense if I were him also.

Wait until most of the national guys slither off to other camps, then deflect when asked.

RayRay10 and texans1095 like this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

and then he signs with the Yankees for 350 mil

lw17 likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When a team has club control over a player for 6 years... and two months after his debut, people are already angry suspecting that he wants to leave when he's a free agent... that's a fan base problem, not a player problem. Nothing with you specifically.

And given the current state of the franchise, and all franchises', and given Correa's still relatively low arbitration numbers as well as injury question marks... its not a given that's he's going to get the contract everybody suspected he was going to get back in 2015.

When he proposes on the field in the midst of a WS win, people whine. When he posts instagram feeds from UFC fights, people whine. When he gets a tattoo, people whine.

Its not just baseball-related activities with him around here.

Anyways, his defense is a plus... regardless of his injuries or not. I do want him playing everyday SS more-so than Bregman. If this whole controversy helps him feel more entrenched to this team... and helps rehabilitate his image amongst some of the fan base... it can only be a good thing in terms of future attachments.

Meanwhile, Springer is still on track to leave long before Correa....

lw17 likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

LOL, they're not going to other camps. They're going to expand the press conference room at MMP to accommodate the extra media attention that will follow them all year. They're going to de-convert the inspirity club back to the press area. They're going to have live 24/7 coverage on MLB network of all things Astros and change the name of their signature show to "Astros tonight".

Nook likes this.
  20. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Don't count on Manfred to have done it...he has pretty much been a true ****ing idiot up to this point.