1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#2 seed is beyond possible or not.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by plutoblue11, Feb 14, 2020.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Thoughts.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

3. rockets13champs

It’s ours for the taking

4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

They’re only 3.5 back and only 3 back in the loss column. They can still get the 2 seed, but they can’t lose too many more games going forward.

But, it probably doesn’t matter...rather this team be healthy and rested going into the playoffs even if it means a lower seed. Getting some 1995 vibes from this squad, especially now where they are trying to go small...that squad went “small” for the playoffs by sticking Horry at the 4 after a mediocre regular season.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Don't think it matters, 2nd rd is going to be WCF level competition regardless.

6. foggy94

foggy94 Member

We can have the tiebreaker over Utah/Denver/Clippers too

Over Utah - Play them once more, need to win
    Clippers - Play then once more, win and seal the tiebreaker, lose and we will still get it if we top our division (likely) as the Clippers won’t top theirs (Lakers will)
    Denver- Drew season series. If we win our division and they don’t win theirs we will get the tiebreaker. They are one game ahead of Utah in their division

7. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

its definately possible...after getting a much needed rest, the addition of cabaclo and this new offense, it its ours for the taking...

i don't care what Shaq and barkley and the collin coward says, we are dangerous...if we are hitting our threes we can beat anybody anywhere. its all on danuel house, mclemore, covington and gordon to hit their threes. they are going to be open.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No. 1 is theoretically possible.

No. 2 should be the goal but I think it will come down to tie breaker.

I think the bench is still too shaky, but we're in for a surprise.

Hakeemtheking and Blurr#7 like this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That’s a big IF because this is not a good three point shooting team, but I’m be there for the ride

10. SinceEverSince

If we end up with the number 2 seed, MDA has to be coach of the year right? Hands down

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Does he get an extension?

Rocket River

12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

those 3 point shooting percentages take into account russells previous three point shooting, an injured tucker shooting, and previous jitters by mclemore, in an offense with less spacing with capela, without eric gordon for most of the first half.

we have added covington too.

i believe our 3 point shooting will be better in the second half.

13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

16 of remaining 28games against those either running for playoff seed or trying to clinch top 5 berth:
    1 mem (home)
    1 j*zz (away)*
    1 Celtics (away)
    1 clippers (home)
    mar 8-9 b2b cha(away)orl (home)
    1 lal (away) *
    1 por (away)*
    1 mav (away)
    1 mil (away)
    1 Phil (away)
    1 tor (home)*
    aprl 8-9 dal (away) sa(home)*
    aprl 14 sa (away)
    1 mem (home)*

Bottom line 20W of 28
    Ideal situation: 22W-23W
    -------------------where we are at now
    5th
    34W 20L

#13 DeBeards, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Gray_Jay likes this.
  14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'll agree, but add that this team would be best suited with a 2 or 3 seed, so that the Lakers can be dodged until the Conference Finals. It's trite, and overplayed here at CF, but I think the league really wants the Lakers in the Finals---'With the memory of #24 in their heads. And their hearts. Almost as if he were guiding their shots with his limitless will to win'----and all that garbage. It's a compelling story the network will love telling.

I don't think the league can help itself not to cheat, and it will put its thumb on the officiating scale. At least they won't let LA lose the first two rounds. Maybe they let the Rockets win if the Rox are 20 percent better, instead of just being better.

smp, rgw20014life, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

What?
    He absolutely doesn’t deserve it and I say that with no hate. Nick Nurse is hands down the coach of the year. If you want to argue Bud then sure. MDA would not make it into top 3 consideration.

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Not happening

Little Bit likes this.
  17. opticon

opticon Member

We just need to make it to April healthy. If Harden, Westbrook, Gordon, RoCo, Tucker, Rivers, House and Thabo are all healthy we can beat anyone. In case you did not catch it, I listed 8 names. Those are the only 8 names that are going to get significant playing time in the playoffs barring injury.

But to answer Op's question I think it is possible if the goal was to get the best seating. In my opinion, it is not the goal, this year the Rockets are taking the approach of the Raptors and prioritizing playoff health over regular-season wins. Westbrooks's load management proves that for me at least.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure, as Tilman hasn't stood behind him. Like ever.

Trust issues go deeper than records.

And he is nearing 70 years of age.

19. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

Needs to go 24-4, this team tends to turn on after the break so it is doable.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

rockets being able to get healthy in these last 28 games is way more important than actual seeding.

hakeem94, bj3175, Nook and 2 others like this.