1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yuli Gurriel: "No one put a gun to our head. It would be a lie to say that one or two people are responsible. We are all responsible."

Springer: "We are ALL responsible. Carlos and Alex were great to us."

Bregman: "No one put us up to this. We did it. All of us, not one person made us do anything."

Correa said it was harder to steal signs in playoffs because teams were using multiple signs. "The trash can was there. Yeah, I mean, if we had a chance, but I remember them coming using multiple signs and impossible to decode all those signs." pic.twitter.com/0HaQEWtGAr

— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) February 13, 2020

Correa on why team waited so long to speak: "We have to gather first as a team and talk about this and make sure it’s not going to happen ever again." pic.twitter.com/UM7niPdZ6r

Carlos Correa: "There’s no excuse today. We were wrong for everything we did." pic.twitter.com/WpvN4IpwxE

Justin Verlander: "I wish I had said more. Looking back, I can’t go back, I can’t reverse my decision. Like I said, I wish I had said more and for that, I’m sorry." pic.twitter.com/JptPemq6Hs

Josh Reddick: "I’m sorry for what we did and how it was handled and how it wasn’t handled at times, as well. … It is what it is and it happened and we ask for the forgiveness from everybody and we move on." pic.twitter.com/SgtZjtkS2v

Lance McCullers Jr.: "I think that’s something none of us can go back and change. I think the important thing is we’ve all come together here. We met yesterday and we stand behind Alex and Altuve and are remorseful for what happened that season and look forward to moving on…" pic.twitter.com/s77A8zHAIO

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Again... Crane set this back with his comments. This will be the main network news takeaway from today...

texans1095 likes this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It’s incredibly short sighted and naive because a) Everyone knows Beltran learned his sign-stealing methods as a member of the Yankees b) The Yankees illegally used technology to expose the Red Sox’ use of Apple Watches to steal signs in 2017 c) During the 2018 NLCS, a story was published describing how the Brewers suspected the Dodgers of trying to illegally steal signs during the 2018 NLCS.

This is an MLB problem, not just an Astros’ one. The difference is other teams don’t have a former teammate willing to rat them out, a former beat writer that has an axe to grind with the organization, and a blood thirsty national media because of the club’s response to poor behavior directed at a reporter by one of its executives after the 2019 ALCS.

#1923 DVauthrin, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Cold Hard, arkoe, zeeshan2 and 11 others like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

4+ months after the Taubman incident, Jim Crane still hasn't learned the value of a good PR team to steer through a crisis. He's just completely unprepared and tone deaf.

arkoe, desihooper, DVauthrin and 5 others like this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Astros fans need to realize and accept that 2017 WS is tainted. If the roles were reversed and the Dodgers cheated to win the 2017 WS, you'd all be pissed as well and think that the 2017 WS didn't count and that we were deserved champs.

The 2017 Astros let the city of Houston down with their cheating ways.

Gurriel racist incident
    Taubman incident
    Sign stealing scandal

All that in the last 3 years, disgraceful and the opposite of model franchise.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

super super disappointing that they apologized but sometimes in life it's easier to just lie and fake it then to do the right thing, so I don't blame them for apologizing

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The dodgers were massive cheaters, they had an entire video room and like 8 cameras or whatever. Be better then this, don't embarrass yourself.

8. NewRoxFan

The Astros are a multi-billion company. Crane owned a multi-billion dollar company. You would have thought in the months leading up to today they would have hired a crisis communications team who would have developed a communications plan. And then made Crane and other club officials practice their story over and over again until they could tell the story in their sleep. The Astros PR team can handle personnel moves, local appearances and game give-aways, but they aren't qualified to handle something like this.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’m sure though your bias, no context having lens you think so but if you look through an object, global one you will understand that that’s how public opinion will see it.

By apologizing you open the flood gates.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hypocrites, hypocrites everywhere!
    You'll take our "cheaters" and like 'em!
    ;)

Jose Altuve
    Alex Bregman
    Carlos Correa
    Chris Devenski
    Yuli Gurriel
    Francis Martes
    Lance McCullers Jr.
    Brad Peacock
    Josh Reddick
    George Springer
    Justin Verlander

Carlos Beltran [Retired]
    Evan Gattis [Retired]
    Brian McCann [Braves-->(Current)Retired]

Dayan Diaz [Angels-->(Current)Free Agent]
    Luke Gregerson [Cardinals-->(Current)Free Agent]
    Jordan Jankowski [Dodgers-->Angels-->(Current)Free Agent]
    Collin McHugh [(Current)Free Agent]
    David Paulino [Blue Jays-->(Current)Free Agent]
    Tony Sipp [Nationals-->(Current)Free Agent]
    Ashur Tolliver [Mariners-->(Current)Free Agent]
    Tyler White [Dodgers-->(Current)DFA/Free Agent]

Max Stassi [(Current)Angels]

Mike Fiers [Tigers-->(Current)A's]
    Tony Kemp [Cubs-->(Current)A's]

Derek Fisher [(Current)Blue Jays]
    Ken Giles [(Current)Blue Jays]
    Teoscar Hernandez [(Current)Blue Jays]

Reymin Guduan [(Current)Dodgers]

Jandel Gustave [(Current)Giants]

James Hoyt [(Current)Indians]

J.D. Davis [(Current)Mets]
    Jake Marisnick [(Current)Mets]

Will Harris [(Current)Nationals]

Francisco Liriano [Tigers-->Pirates-->(Current)Phillies]

Michael Feliz [(Current)Pirates]
    Colin Moran [(Current)Pirates]
    Joe Musgrove [(Current)Pirates]

Charlie Morton [(Current)Rays]

Juan Centeno [Rangers-->(Current)Red Sox]

Cameron Maybin [Marlins-->Mariners-->Giants-->Indians-->Yankees-->(Current)Tigers]

Tyler Clippard [Blue Jays-->Indians-->(Current)Twins]
    Marwin Gonzalez [(Curent)Twins]

Nori Aoki [Blue Jays-->Mets-->(Current?)Tokyo Yakult Swallows]

Dallas Keuchel [Braves-->(Current)White Sox]
    AJ Reed [(Current)White Sox]

AJ Hinch [(Current)Suspended/Fired]
    Alex Cora [Bench Coach-->Red Sox Manager-->(Current)Fired]
    Dave Hudgens [Hitting Coach-->Blue Jays Bench Coach]
    Alonzo Powell [Hitting Coach-->Giants Hitting Coach-->(Current)Chunichi Dragons]
    Brent Strom [(Current)Pitching Coach]
    Craig Bjornson [Bullpen Coach-->(Current)Red Sox Bullpen Coach]
    Rich Dauer [First Base Coach-->Retired]
    Gary Pettis [(Current)Third Base Coach]

everyday eddie and mikol13 like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Yes, that was my point.

12. SuraGotMadHops

Post of the freakin year man.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I still don't give a ****.

GO STROS !

DD

jiggyfly, davidio840, Dgn1 and 6 others like this.
  14. Handles

Handles Member

I think people are forgetting that Crane's org is currently in at least two separate lawsuits over this. Admission of guilt is not something he wants to even flirt with.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely no bias. I don’t like what they did but understand why they did it.
    Absolutely give no ****s about public opinion.
    This sport cheats, period. Even playing field and the title isn’t tainted in any way.

I personally wouldn’t have apologized, or if I did it would have been with the qualifier that this is league wide. If they want to burn us, take them all down in the flames too.

RayRay10 and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Replying just to put more focus on this. Great post.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dallas Keuchel was again asked today about the Houston situation and if everyone involve needs to show contrition:

Keuchel: "That’s a good question. I’m just one dude. I guess it’s ultimately up to the individual. We are always going to be World Series champs because we were talented and to me we earned the right to be World Series champs"

"Just because stuff came out about the 2017 Astros doesn’t mean other teams weren’t doing illegal stuff. It just means we were the ones who were I guess caught"

"I’m not here really to dig into anything that happens. That’s my feeling. Ultimately it’s up to the individual to show remorse or try to move on. I chose the remorse route because hey, personally I felt that was what was owed ...

Keuchel: "I owed it to my family and that’s how I was raised. I’m going to remember that but at the same time I’m going to try to help this organization for the next three, hopefully four or five years down the road."

#1938 J.R., Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    davidio840, Handles, RayRay10 and 4 others like this.
  19. NewRoxFan

Well, he has already admitted the team broke the rules. So don't know what saying he "didn't know whether the cheating effected games" would effect any lawsuit. any more that saying, "we cheated but it didn't effect any games."

At least it would have avoided extending the PR nightmare...

Column: Astros owner Jim Crane’s half-hearted apology for sign stealing was laughable
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodg...-half-hearted-apology-sign-stealing-laughable

20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Only reason you apologize is to gain public favor. They shouldn't apologize they should fight. Crane throwing everyone under the bus then half apologizing. This is a **** show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.