1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open 3 Point Shot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Feb 9, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wrong game to make this argument. But you never get it right so par for course.

DeBeards likes this.
  2. SS0101

SS0101 Member

EGO, House, and Rivers definitely do way too much catch, hesitate, dribble, dribble, hesitate, shoot. WAAAAAYYYYY too much. There is one guy who can probe in such a way. James Harden. That is it. Everyone else, make your decision to shoot or drive.

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I would really like to know the numbers that our guys are shooting from three taking away harden's shots. He is shooting contested step-back 3-pointers vs wide open threes. They are almost wasted possessions at this time

J Sizzle likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't argue about game to game stuff, this is about the global problem - I do like how you follow me around like a lost puppy though.

Another free loader who is not contributing to the site.

Ignored.

DD

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Remlap likes this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

For the season....

Total
    808/2324 = .348

Harden
    227/638 = .356

Total minus Harden
    581/1686 = .345

Since January 1

Total
    274/808 = .340

Harden
    56/192 = .292

Total minus Harden
    218/616 = .360

#46 jordnnnn, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  7. SemisolidSnake

Even the very best team in the league at hitting wide open threes (the Utah Jazz, btw) hits 2 out of 5 of them. Specifically, the Jazz hit 42.6% of their open threes while the Rockets hit 37.8%. (source)

The three-pointer is an inherently high-risk, high-reward shot. Always has been. If you average that risk/reward over 82 games, it seems that it works out decently well to win a fair number of games. But on any specific shot in any specific game, it's still a high-risk shot, and you can only expect so many of them to go in no matter how much we all want it.

If your team doesn't have other, lower-risk options in its play methodology when it simply must...score...ANY...points, then it fits the definition of "live by the three, die by the three." And dying is part of that.

DeBeards, slothy420 and D-rock like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean...we lost by one point. Harden's shooting at some point will correct itself guys. You have to know that.

DeBeards, D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The issue here is that the open mid range/ long 2 are no less risky it seems

Rocket River

Remlap likes this.
  10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Probably. He was 'bad' in January---.270/.375/.851, 28.6/8/6.5----but picked it up a touch in February---.345/.451/.915, 31/7.5/8.5. Much lower usage in Feb, 32.4, as well.

They shoot a ton of 3s, but none of them, with the possible exception of uninjured Gordon, or undoubled, uninjured Harden, are what you'd call deadeye 3pt shooters. This team needs a Thomas Robinson or Marcus Morris so bad, it's embarrassing. Doubt that's available on the buyout market.

Save us Bruno!

HP3 likes this.
  11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

What are the stats on Rockets defense when it comes to defense after one of their missed 3s? Are they typically worse in transition defense off a missed 3 than a missed layup, do they typically not get back sufficient numbers on defense after a missed 3, or both? I don't know how to sort for OPP FG% after missed 3Pt vs OPP FG% versus the Rockets regular halfcourt defense vs league average OPP FG%.

Relativist likes this.
  12. Remlap

Remlap Member

I was wondering same thing on that PJ foul.
    My guess is it was because we had a foul to give, but even any HS player should know that if you are
    going to take that foul you do it while the ball is on the floor, NOT in the act of shooting.
    PJ sunk us by allowing 2 key FT's in crunch time

13. dream2franchise

For a front office that emphasises the 3 they really haven't invested anything in making players better shooters upon arrival.

14. Remlap

Remlap Member

Dunno who Thomas Robinson is, but Marcus Morris only shoots 1 tick better career % than Covington.
    Don't see how we need him so BADLY over Cov?

I also see MM as a hot-head locker room problem.
    James already has a delicate ego, right CP?

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thomas Robinson is former Rocket. Out of NBA, plays the 5.

DeBeards likes this.
  16. Remlap

Remlap Member

Of course I remember this guy, I thought he was referencing 'current players'
    He couldn't hit the ocean from the beach.
    You think he was referencing him?
    Stromile Swift 2.0. Could jump out of the gym, but that's about it.
    Why would we need him so badly?
    Would rather have Michael Beasley over this guy

topfive likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Traditional 5 option maybe?

18. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

And this year MM is a ~44% shooter on 264 attempts. For the Knicks anyway; he shot 0-4 his first game with the Clips. 44 percent was worth trying to acquire.

(Duncan, Thanks Autocorrect!) Robinson's a second year player for the Heat. No way they were going to let him go, but if they did, he'd be another 44 percent 3pt shooter, with 410 attempts this year, a TS% of .666. Might be nice.

The fact remains, the Rockets have average to slightly above average 3pt shooters, which stinks when they go cold, like in Phoenix.

pippendagimp likes this.
  19. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Plan b…is 'it is what it is' quote mda

20. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I blame autocorrect. Duncan Robinson, 2nd year player on the Heat. Not veteran journeyman Thomas Robinson.

Or anybody who realistically can shoot over 40 percent from 3 for more than every three games or so. Gordon when he was hot, was one of those players. James too. I'd rather neither played, in order for them to rest, if we're just going to blow off losses at Phoenix as 'a schedule loss' or Utah as, 'oh, they just got lucky.'

Since the regular season doesn't matter and all. Make sure our core is fresh for the playoff run.

Remlap likes this.