1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What games have you played over the past year, and maybe even finished?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Hey guys, just wanted to make a little thread about some of the games you may have been playing over the last year or so, what you really loved, what you finished, and what you tried but didn't like.

I just finished Days Gone, finished the whole story, now just mopping up remaining hordes, and it was a great experience. Now I'm looking for the next thing to play.

So here's mine over the last year or so, and yes, I know I came to some of these a bit late.

Trying to remember back over the last year..

I don't remember when Uncharted: A Thief's End came out, but of course I played that one, I have done all the Uncharted games, and loved them all.

And about once a year I will put The Last of Us into the PS3 and play it through (yeah I really need to go ahead and get the PS4 version).

So let's see... Horizon Zero Dawn would be right on that edge, maybe a little over a year ago, and I have the DLC but have not played it yet. May tackle that next.

Played Subnautica all the way through... oh man, if you have not played that one, you really need to get it. You have never felt fear in a game quite like that.. and once you gain confidence and strength enough to go where you want and do what you want, it only gets more amazing.. Nothing like strapping on your underwater armor and going on a Leviathan hunt.. cautiously eager for the next one to be ready.

God of War - played but didn't finish, that's another one to pick back up.

Then there was.. oh yeah, Witcher 3 on PC. Finally got my PC working well enough to play Witcher 3, and yeah, it's as great as everyone has always said. Not quite finished with Blood and Wine, but finished everything else. It really is a 'Must Play'.

Picked up Death Stranding, just because I was so weirdly curious, and I have played it some, but probably nowhere near getting into the real meat of it yet. Not totally sure if I will ever finish that one.

Played Ni No Kuni 2 for a decent amount of time, because I heard somewhere that it was 'epic'.. maybe it is, it's mainly just really weirdly Japanese to me, and I eventually got bored and stopped.

Picked up Days Gone for cheap, and wow, if you have skipped that one for whatever reason, you have got to get it, it is great. My wife even spent most of the time watching, and asked questions about the characters and what was going on.. it was almost like binge-ing about 5 seasons of a really good post-apocalyptic HBO zombie series. TO em this is also a 'Must Play', especially now that you can get it dirt cheap - probably the best bang for your entertainment buck ever.

Jedi: Fallen Order on PC.. really enjoyed it, brought back memories of playing Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight 2.. I thought it was an interesting decision to have you never use a gun in the entire game, but I didn't miss it. You are a light-saber-wielding Jedi after all, no need for blasters ;).. play it if you haven't.

I don't really play sports games, so didn't play any of those.

Now kind of looking for the next thing to play, been thinking of Red Dead Redemption.. or Red Dead Redemption 2. Question is, do I need to play the first one before playing the second? Or is it ok to start with 2?

What else over the past year or so would you recommend, or what is upcoming soon that you are really looking forward to?

KePoW, ryan_98 and Yung-T like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

In the last year:

God of war- finished.
    Hollow knight- about 75% done.
    Witcher 3- started and then just watched the show
    Mlb the show- does one really ever finish a sports game?

Don't really have time for them anymore, but I do want to finish hollow knight. That game is a ball buster.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

RDR2 is actually a prequel to the first game, so you can certainly play it without playing the first. Although going back and playing the first one will feel pretty rough after you've played the second. I certainly do think 2 is the better game.

Played The Outer Worlds. Great game if you like Fallout, but it was frustratingly short compared to the Bethesda games.

Spider-man suffered the same issue. Really good game, but needed to be more filled out. Looked great but didn't live up the Batman Arkham series, which is granted a high standard.

The Resident Evil 2 remake was spectacular. Everything a remake should be and probably my favorite game of the year. Even if you've never played a Resident Evil game you can jump right into it.

Played Trails of Cold Steel 1-3. Pretty good, but very much an old school turn based JRPG, and it has a ton of lazy Japanese anime tropes which drive me up a wall. I love old school JRPG's so anybody that makes one will have my attention.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider was good, but easily the worst of the new trilogy. I was extremely hyped after the first 2 were so good, but it didn't deliver.

Any old sega players who remember Toejam and Earl. The original developer released a low budget new game very much in line with the original. I loved it, but if you weren't a fan of the original it may be hard to get into.

Astro-Bot,Arizona Sunshine, and Super Hot were all really good for my PSVR players.

Joshfast and Yung-T like this.
  4. Poloshirtbandit

@sealclubber1016 check out the DLC episodes for Spider-Man if you haven't already.

5. Poloshirtbandit

For MLB I have a carryover franchise from 17 that I just made the All Star break with. Maybe one year I'll actually finish it.

6. body slam

body slam Member

I'm still looking for the Princes on level 8-4 of Super Mario Brothers.

donkeypunch likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Funny, I just hooked up my SNES for the first time in a long time and that game pisses me off more than any other game. I cant even get passed the first world.

Xerobull and body slam like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Just finished Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7. If you like survival horror, I would recommend. Really enjoyed them both.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Mopping up on God of War...finishing side quests and looking for those stupid Odin's Ravens. Great game. I really enjoyed the main storyline. Hope they continue forward with Freya's son and Kratos' wife (in Helheim).

Got The Last of Us up next (#2 of 3 from the bundle that was selling for $199 last Christmas).

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Grim Dawn
    AC: Odyssey
    Far Cry 5
    Rogue Legacy
    Overwatch
    Borderlands 3
    Divinty 2
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Dishonored: DOTO

Enjoyed all of them.

#10 larsv8, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Witcher 3: 10/10. Wow. Can't think of how an open-world action game could be better, other than the combat being... just generally not good. But everything else about it was SO good that it didn't matter to me much.

Kingdom Come: 10/10. Again, Wow. Overall liked it as much as Witcher 3. Combat was amazing and one of my favorite parts. But it also kinda ran like ass even on a top-tier rig, and there were a pretty fair number of weird bugs compared to Witcher 3.

Remnant From the Ashes: 7/10. Fun download-only co-op shooter, with the most horrendously badly-designed final boss I've ever encountered. Also can't remember the last time I played a console game that glitched and crashed this much. But besides those issues it's actually very well-designed. Got a solid 50+ entertaining hours out of it.

Mario Odyssey: 8/10. Very good game, but I heard people comparing it favorably to Mario 64, and with a view through that lens I was disappointed, as I just didn't like the worlds as much. But still a good time.

Mario Maker 2: 9/10. Enjoyed it more than Odyssey, even just for the campaign. And the levels some people designed are really great. I had more fun than I thought I would trying to beat one of the uber-hard ones.

Monster Hunter Iceborne: 8/10. My interest in this really died once I got a little ways into end-game. For whatever reason it doesn't hold my interest the same way retro MH still do. Still put a few hundred hours into it though, so not wasted money by any means.

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate: 9/10. Great stuff. Better end-game than Iceborne.

Overcooked 2: 10/10. Incredibly great co-op game, even for people who are typically non-gamers. The scores needed for 3 stars on each level are exquisitely well-balanced to be achievable, but only once you've worked out a solid system with your team.

Tales of Vesperia (re-mastered with lots of extra content): 9/10. Hard to find a better JRPG than this. I only dock it a point because I don't like it quite as much as Chrono Cross, FF7, FFX, Xenoblade, or Valkyria Chronicles. It's that next tier down for me but still amazing. The extra content in this version is substantial enough that another playthrough is totally worth-it if you've only played the 360 version.

Yung-T likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah, the ol' twitch reflexes aren't what they used to be...

I'm honestly not drawn to or impressed by any HD graphic games, and FPS really frustrate me because the field of view isn't realistic.

I can say that I tried some VR games at a VR Lounge and had a blast with them, but I can't justify owning a VR headset because I would probably use it an hour a year.

I like turn-based games because I can play them for five minutes then walk away for two weeks, which suits my busy schedule.

• Civilization 4 BTS (for the x000th time)
    • Boss Monster (it's a card game adaptation)
    • Into the Breach

I've played a good chunk of Cultist Simulator

13. noize

noize Contributing Member

So I just bought a new PS4 pro over the past Holiday and got a tons of game that were on Black Friday Sale. Needless to say, I was binge playing them like a little kid at the arcade during the early 90s. Keep in mind that this is my first brand new game system since the Xbox 360, so everything feels fresh and new to me despite this gen is coming to an end soon.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Just beat it and feels this was one of the best game on the system. Gameplay was pretty good but the graphics and animation has blown me away. The facial animation in particular is the most "life-like" I've ever seen in a game ever. Not sure how Naugthy Dog were able to inject these emotion into the characters so well.

2. God Of War - About 40% complete. Technically speaking this game has the best looking graphics and I thought it made the best use of the 4K res checker-board rendering. Everything looks pin sharp and is comparable to a true 4K. The gameplay is also great and I really like the "HUB" style map system. Really taking my time with this one exploring solving puzzles, side quest...etc.

3. Resident Evil 2 Remake - About 80% complete. An awesome game overall, but I do wish it had a 4K mode. I guess Capcom wanted to have a fixed 60fps smoothness through out which is understandable. Nothing more to say then the fact that I'm having a blast playing a superb remake of a game that I adore when I was a kid. Can't wait for part 3 to hit soon.

4. The Witcher 3 - About 10% complete. I'm enjoying the story so far. The Netfix series actually got me into this game. I'm enjoying it so far despite the complexity of the gameplay with so much to do and see. This game is just to damn big and not enough time for it. This is like taking Skyrim to another level.

5. Horizon Zero Dawn - About 20% complete. This was the first game that I popped into the PS4 and was admiring how beautiful it looks. Loving the post apocalyptic dinasaur-mech theme. Probablly the best use of HDR. Wow, the color in this game just pop on my 65in OLED TV. I'm not digging the gameplay as much since I feel this is run-of-the-mill open world gameplay that was done better by other game. The story and graphics is what keeping me going.

6. The Last Of Us - About 70% complete. I know this was only a remaster of a last gen title, but I was still impressed with its 4K implemenation. The gameplay is great and I love the pacing(story). Looks like I'm heading toward an epic ending from what I've seeen. Just like Uncharted, I'm playing a block buster movie and my non-gamer family is enjoying watching me play and pushing me to keep playing b/c they want to see what happened next. The best zombie apocalypse game. Looking forward to TLOU part 2.

7. Until Dawn - 95% completed. Another one of those story driven "movie" like games. You don't really have control over any action except walking and collecting clues, but rather you must choose a choice through out that will effect the outcome of the story (butterfly effect). This one has a slasher film vibe similar to Scream, Cabin in the Wood and the SAW series which this game draws a lot of inspiration from. Great graphics and atmosphere. I love horror so I enjoy this one quite a bit trying to save all of my party member up in the mountain, isolated from society.

8. Assassins Creed: Odyssey - About 5% complete. Another one of those absurdly huge game like the Witcher 3, but with much better graphics and was set in the Peloponnesian War (Ancient Greece). I'm going to have to put this one in the back burner for a while as I'm too consume with all of the other games at the moment.

Games, that I'm looking forward to get in the near future are...

- Gran Turismo Sport Spec II
    -TLOU 2
    -Resident Evil 3 Remake
    -Death Stranding
    -Devil May Cy 5
    -Final Fantasy VII Remake

Well, it looks like the PS5/Scarlett will have to wait a few more years for me. I'm content and busy with the PS4 for a while. :D

#13 noize, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Blatz likes this.
  14. noize

noize Contributing Member

[QUOTE="Drexlerfan22, post: 12837490, member: 3635"

Tales of Vesperia (re-mastered with lots of extra content): 9/10. Hard to find a better JRPG than this. I only dock it a point because I don't like it quite as much as Chrono Cross, FF7, FFX, Xenoblade, or Valkyria Chronicles. It's that next tier down for me but still amazing. The extra content in this version is substantial enough that another playthrough is totally worth-it if you've only played the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Have you played Lost Oddyssey on the Xbox 360? It was for me the best JRPG of the last two generation. It was a hidden jem for me when it first came out as I didn't know nothing about it. As it turns out, half of the team that was responsible for Square's FF7 went on to form Mistwalker to create this masterpiece. Ironically, it was exclusive to the 360 instead of the PS3(Japan). BTW, I love TOV but was never able to complete it. I think I needed to get back to it. LOL

#14 noize, Feb 6, 2020
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Currently obsessed with Disco Elysium:

I play an online game called War Thunder a lot. Usually die quickly.

I've also played a ton of Crusader Kings and Stelaris.

#15 Ottomaton, Feb 6, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I want to play Disco Elysium bad, hoping to finally buy the game soon...

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well.... I don't know if this counts as winning, haha but I played tetris 99 a lot last year, and have won multiple rounds, when I was playing a lot I would finish top 10 easy... But that stopped in October I think... I even played the super invictus mode you unlock from winning, that normally sucks since you can never get a full game like you can on the normal 99... So like half bots, I prefer playing real people so I have something to show for winning...

Other games... Uh, on pc I've been playing rocksmith,

Undertale - finished neutral and working on other endings

Octopath traveler - finished everything but the final secret boss - it's a mess and I've played a Ton of rpgs in the past (the hard ones), so I didn't finish just because it got a bit boring with the grind (party is. Ready if I go back)

Breath of the Wild, close but stopped when it got pretty easy

Multiple Dark Souls runs for PC 1-3 and old nes/snes games (like play castlevania every year or two to completion and mega man 2, no cheats/save states typically). This is mainly to keep some coordination for harder games...

I'm mainly pc gamer, but have been playing switch since it's easy to pick up and put down. I don't know if there's others and a few here I basically just go through a quick run as an annual thing... Unfortunately not a lot of time over the years for gaming

I hope this year to game more but I Doubt it but maybe one day when work/life slow some... It's been years since I could game whenever, oh well

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 10/10. I've always enjoyed JRPGs more than western RPGs. It's a very anime story, but I fell in love with it and I'm not a huge weeb. Very fun game play, great story, amazing soundtrack. Couldn't enjoy it any more.

Breath of the Wild - 7/10. It's a Zelda game. It's more about the game play. After beating Ganon and all the shrines in the base game, I haven't touched the DLC. It's fun, but there was more to be desired. It just felt kinda empty at the end.

19. likestohypeguy

[​IMG]

Flipped it twice.

boomboom likes this.
  20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I did actually start playing that pretty soon after it came out, and it suffered the same fate for me that FF9 did, which is that I lost patience with shuffling equipment around to teach my characters all the abilities that were tied to them (I'm my own worst enemy / hopeless completionist when it comes to that kinda thing). This is intensely ironic considering that Vesperia does the same thing. I think the difference is that the combat in Vesperia kept me a little more engaged, so grinding out the XP on equipment didn't feel like as much of a chore.

It's one of those that I have been meaning to give another chance to for a long time TBH, though my backlog is so huge that I have no idea when or if that will happen. I know I did really enjoy parts of the story, especially the text-only story sequences, oddly enough.

Question re: Xenoblade... have you played the first one, and if so how would you compare it to 2? I ask because the first Xenoblade was one of my favorites ever, and the follow-up Xenoblade Chronicles X, frankly disappointed me a bit. I'm thinking about starting it up in the next week or two, so I'd be curious to know any strengths/weaknesses compared to the first one.

Also, totally agree on BotW. It was a solid game, but I don't understand the level of slavish fanboy love it gets. Story-telling seemed very weak and a few design decisions baffled me from a gameplay perspective as well. I had fun with it, but it wouldn't even make top 50 for me all-time.