1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

His FG% is inflated due to all the alley-oop points he scores. To say he's an elite finisher is just so wrong. He has no finishing game besides scoring alley-oops or putting back from an offensive rebound. Other centers in the league can at least shoot a mid-range or have some sort of post game.... Capela has none of that. Made it easier for the other team to guard Westbrook, too, with Capela being out on the floor together with Westbrook. He's not a bad defender, but he isn't an elite one. He's not strong enough.... and there have been many times where he's been dominated.

I definitely agree with the small ball. We need another decent defensive big in. Rebounding and paint protection will be a big problem if we don't. Hopefully we get a defensive center and shooting defender in..... with decent height.

There's also a positive to trading Capela. We can now space the floor. The other teams cannot double team Harden at half court if there's also decent shooters out there. It'll be easier for Westbrook. He can drive to the paint.... and if they help, he can just pass it out to one of the other decent shooters out there. Westbrook and Harden are very hard to guard when you don't double team them. The Rockets spacing the floor with decent and consistent shooters is a nightmare for the league, especially when they have Harden and Westbrook on the ball.

DeBeards, rhee and Tfor3 like this.
  2. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

current luxury tax savings champ, soon to be expired traded player exception champ as well

Corrosion likes this.
  3. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

5. JackLordsHair66

So again Morey is banking on us shooting 75 3/s now and forcing teams to play away from the rim in the hopes that it opens up the lane for Harden/Russ which is fine for teams with only marginal centers and forward but the better teams with length aren't going to be bothered by this much and I predict we get wrecked by these teams.

6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Jesus. We have to be getting something significantly better than Bob Covington for Capela and an frp!?! **** Tillman. He’s Dolan level scary.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Did the team get better? I certainly believe so. That’s what matters to me. And there’s still 2 days left to get even better.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

Just give up the second rounder Nerlens Noel and be done with it.

King1 and D-rock like this.
  9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Key word in Bobby Marks tweet is also the most important distinction with your post... "potential" "future."

Warriors currently only set to pay 9million in tax. Literally impossible for them to save 30 million this season.

malakas likes this.
  10. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

No that's what the rest of the league uses to dump 2 million(Green and Nene half season salary).Tilman has set a new precedent that we pay 1st rounders. I can't remember any other trade where a team gave away a 1st rounder to dump 2 MIllion. Remember the good old days when Leslie Alexander would PAY 2 Million to buy a SRP. Sad day for fans to learn that our owner doesn't care about winning.

11. JackLordsHair66

So could we still get Looney if the Warriors want to unload his salry to get below the line, whats his $ anyone know off the top of their head

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I hope no one trades for Looney.

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I think he's on 5m a year.

14. JackLordsHair66

THis is all good analysis. the only major issue is that defender and C that has some sort of offensive game or at least a sizable PF that can shoot, if we don't manage to get one or two players like that we are royally screwed. Look how badly we were out rebounded the last two games. We one those because those teams had inferior talent, that's not happening with the bulk of the playoff teams above us, even a few below us. This whole smnall ball philosophy scares the crap out of me when we start facing really good teams with length that can rebound/shoot.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Maybe the 1st rounder was a must because Minnie liked Beasley and Hernangomez over our 1st rounder :D;)

withmustard likes this.
  16. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

I am less worried about big centers like Gobert who we can make barbeque chicken out of time and time again and more worried about not having enough rim protection to stop dudes like lebron, kawhi, and Giannis from driving to the hole

fckbandwagons and ElDobleK like this.
  17. JackLordsHair66

So that's doable, but he hasn't played so that may be a non starter with this mysterious injury that isn't being talked about... so probably a non starter

D-rock likes this.
  18. JackLordsHair66

Yeah and then there is that problem and it's a big one cause even with Clint we still had issues with stopping guys like that. Now instead of playing LBJ PJ is going to have to stop AD, yeah thats gonna go well lol

Landsdale likes this.
  19. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I definitely agree. We need some height out there for the stronger and bigger teams. Hopefully we're not dumb enough to go with what we've got.

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I doubt the warriors will trade Looney (who's not only their only center, but also widely liked) to get under the tax, when they have much more options available to them.

I wouldn't be surprise if the Warriors accept a wolves trade which they rejected earlier that involved 2 picks for Russel. Only difference now is that Timberwolves could sweeten the pot by adding Beasely and perhaps even hermangomez. Add in Turner for salary + the two picks unprotected, would IMO be a great haul for D Russell.

This would give the warriors - Young talent in Beasely or Hermangomez - expiring contract in Turner - payroll $ savings of over 5 million+ (in addition to getting under the tax). And 2 unprotected? 1 st rounders.

D-rock likes this.