1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Hawks interested in Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Aaron Gordon is shooting 29% on four three-point attempts per game. It’s slightly better than Green’s 27% on three attempts, but it’s not good. Gordon is also averaging 13 points a game on 42% from the field and 66% from the free-throw line. Nothing about his offensive production in Orlando is efficient right now.

Furthermore, was Green’s defensive prowess overrated when he completely negated Capela’s offense by taking away the lob last postseason? His defense is responsible for starting the movement to trade Capela on this site.

#261 DVauthrin, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Crashlanded19 and YOLO like this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

You mean for the 2020-21 season when he'll play for another coach? :D

3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Hunter and Collins for Capela. I mean hawks are crapy, so i know collins is probably just stats padding in reb, and points to look good. I doubt he puts up the same numbers on rox. Capela gonna be 22ppg 15rpg on hawks watch.

There is probably 0 Motivation to trade Capela unless they give us those 2 guys lol. Why get worse, to please the hawks?.. i see nothing happening unless its those 2.

clutchdabear, amaru and plutoblue11 like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Harty playing 4D chess while everyone else is playing checkers

Vivi likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't think the argument for a player overperforming on a bad team works unless the player is scoring inefficiently, because if it's efficient it's just someone playing well IMO. I'm not sure how being on a bad team affects rebounding numbers, the player has to box out the same opponents Clint faces.

Collins has a 62% TS on his 19 ppg, higher efficiency then Harden. Collins also plays only 30 mpg, less than Clint. I don't think his numbers are inflated.

ball4life66 and BigggReddd like this.
  6. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

We dont have time to develop raw players. The window is now or never. And players that are otherworldly like you are describing about reddish. They usually show that even their rookie year. You can just see it. Havent seen that once this year with reddish. He is going to be a bust, and you want to risk our best asset on a potential raw player who is most likely going to be a bust. He has been simply "ok" the past month or so. I just dont really see the fuss over this player.

D-rock and King1 like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

what? Reddish? Cam Reddish? dude is a bust.

he's not even close to being trae as a player. hes closer to house or even bmac

joshuaao likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

No he isn’t.

joshuaao likes this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

In bad teams, there are many more misses => more rebounds to grab and pad your stats.

Also all good defensive teams emphasize transition defence and have given up almost completely on offensive rebounds, whereas bad teams go after them.

Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Yup, with the Rockets trying to get a third team involved to add another player to get heavy minutes.

joshuaao, whiskeyred, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  11. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

What team would that be? Collins would already be such a boon, but yes we would take a hit in the height department.

12. Nook

Nook Member

They want a more traditional center to anchor their defense. They see Collins as more of a 4. Their head coach has made it clear their defensive personnel has to improve to do anything and ownership is getting antsy.

joshuaao, whiskeyred, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you truly believe that Draymond Green (29 yrs) is better player than Aaron Gordon (24 yrs) right now then we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Draymond is not just worse 3P shooter (progressively declining from 31% to 27% Las 4 seasons) than AG he is also averaging fewer rebounds and 5 less points than AG this season (8 vs.13).

And denying the lob should not be as problematic as you make it out to be when AG is taller (6'8 vs. 6'6), vertical is much greater (39" vs. 33") and their wingspans are similar (7'0 vs. 7'1).

Nevermind AG is younger and does not have any on court shenanigans (kicking punching players in privates, forgetting to inbound ball, ejections, other dirty plays, etc), off field issues or attitude/lockerroom problems.

Best highlights of both below:

And here is recent game of Draymond defending AG and AG defending Draymond, pretty embarrassing for your guy.

I have lived in Bay Area for last 5 years and have season tickets to GSW. I watch Green a lot. But also DVR all Magic and most T wolves games.

There is a reason why I advocate for both AG and Covington.

joshuaao, Shark44, DeBeards and 2 others like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Would be speculation on my part as far as the team but Collins only makes 4 million. The Rockets could package Nene and Capela and that is twenty million in outgoing salary. The Hawks could then send the expiring contract of Evan Turner to a team like Minnesota for Covington and another player and the Rockets sending picks to Minnesota so the Rockets end up with Collins and Covington and a third piece for Capela and draft picks. The Hawks get the starting center they want in Capela and Minnesota turns Covington into a coupe picks and Turners expiring deal.

There are a lot of possibilities because of the draft picks. I know the Rockets really like Huerter. Maybe they add him to Collins and give a draft pick to Atlanta and then swap Turners deal to another team trying to move a better player but under a longer contract.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Collins is more of a 4... but look at it like this. Collins likely plays 20 minutes a night as the 5 on the Rockets. PJ Tucker would likely play 10-15 minutes a night at the 5.... that only leaves 15 minutes a night on average. The Rockets would likely pursue someone like Noel but they wouldn’t be playing 20-25 minute a night

joshuaao, whiskeyred, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  16. ReturnOfTheMac

If we trade Capela for someone who isn’t collins, someone deserves to lose their jobs.

dockerland likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-trade-...pacers-myles-turner-are-on-the-trading-block/

Rather have Turner and a wing for Capela. Collins drug suspension worries me.

Myles Turner - 6'11 7'4 wingspan
    John Collins - 6'9 6'11 wingspan

*Collins better rebounder and scorer but Turner better rim protector (led league in blocks last season), perimeter defender and stretch 5.

https://m.herosports.com/nba/player-comparison/domantas-sabonis-vs-myles-turner

Turner does not run as hard or as fluidly rim to rim like Capela (or even Collins) but his ability to blanket low post and perimeter equally well, even when switched to quicker players because he recovers and anticipates so well.

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. ch44

ch44 Member

Hawks are also in talks for Steven Adams, so that would obviously undercut any Capela trade. They also talked to Brooklyn about swapping him for Spencer Dinwiddie... who the Nets talked to Kings about swapping for Bogdanovic... who the Kings are trying to swap for Aaron Gordon... who the Magic are trying to move this week. Things are picking up a ton, but the number of moving parts between front office talks to a trade call happening can be crazy.

19. DVauthrin

Draymond Green isn’t my “guy,” and, if anyone has an irrational man crush going on, it’s you and your love for Aaron Gordon. You post about him all the time on this site.

Also, I never once said Draymond Green is a better overall player right now than Aaron Gordon. I said he is a better passer and defender and the Durant-led Warriors would have been worse if you replaced him with Gordon. Both are true statements. Those Warriors didn’t need Aaron Gordon’s better scoring ability, they needed Draymond Green’s elite defensive instincts (they are why he was able to deny the lob to Capela), with his unique point-forward abilities as a nice bonus. Gordon isn’t as good in either area. I don’t understand why you fail to grasp that. Draymond Green has a Defensive Player of the Year Award to his name (Gordon doesn’t) and has been a fixture on NBA’s All-Defensive Team for years (Gordon has yet to make such a team). Gordon averaged a career best four assists a game last season, and is at three per game this year. Green averaged seven assists per game in each of the last four years, and six per game this season.

Furthermore, highlights of the two players guarding each other from one isolated game isn’t proof that Gordon is the better defender, adding up points and rebounds between the two doesn’t make Gordon the better player, and the personality/locker room characteristics you shared have no bearing on this argument.

Finally, I’ll advocate for Robert Covington with you. He is the exactly the kind of elite 3&D wing the Rockets need. He’s a much better, more consistent three-point shooter than Gordon (37, 38, and 35% the last three seasons on more attempts per game) and he made the All-Defensive First Team in 2018.

YOLO and RudyTBag like this.
  20. DVauthrin

For the Rockets to get Turner, you have to find a third team that wants Capela and has a stretch four or five that can fit next to Sabonis.

amaru and D-rock like this.