1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I know it won’t happen for a multitude of reasons...but I’m curious if HOU/TAM could piece together a massive trade centered around Correa and CFM/Wander Franco. I doubt TAM moves CFM to get a win-now player like Correa...but interesting pairing. TAM could use a bat like Correa in the middle of their lineup. Use him for a couple years then get a comp pick. Franco is a highly regarded prospect, but prospects bust all the time. TAM is in an interesting spot. Similar to the A’s. Competitive ballclub with spending issues and in the same division as loaded favorites (HOU, NYY). They’ve got to take a risk and Correa (or maybe more likely Bryant) is that risk.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Adames is too good for Tampa to pay for Correa. Reds, Mets, Twins, White Sox, Braves, Brewers, and Diamondbacks are all probably better matches than the Rays, although the Reds are the only team that makes good sense to me.

kaleidosky likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros make good sense for Correa if Astros think he'll be healthy. If he's not healthy, not sure he makes sense for anyone.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One pretty simple way for Crane to reduce the impact of the draft pick penalties is to acquire bad contracts that come with draft picks or top prospects attached. Given they are over the tax this season, it may make more sense to make those moves next year, but here are some ideas:

Acquire Ian Desmond and Charlie Blackmon from Colorado to replace Gurriel and Brantley. To even out the value Colorado would have to include ~$40M in prospect value; think 2 guys in the mlb top 75. So Houston fills 2 holes while rebuilding the farm all in one move. They could add Wade Davis to replace Joe Smith and make the Rockies give up even more prospect value. It’s questionable how much sense that makes for the Rockies, but it would help them clear their payroll as they start a rebuild.

The other move would be to take Miguel Cabrera from Detroit as Gurriel’s replacement. The Tigers would have to eat some money still, but they have a ton of elite pitching depth that they could attach to get rid of someof Miggy’s salary.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Although I would have said the future is now before the scandal, don’t trade and forget about the farm, trade now is viable to me. our assets are likely to fall in value soon without the cheating, but they surprisingly still have high value, so it might not be bad time to unload before they deflate. I can’t recall any cheaters who maintained their on the field value after getting busted. Just about everyone has seen a dramatic decline the year after they get caught in every sport except for Tom Brady. Although I am pretty sure Lance was clean in 09 when he finished 3rd on his last go as my suspicion was he wanted to prove to himself he could win without the drugs, but ended up losing, yet finishing 3rd still admirable effort that most will likely consider tainted except for me.

#2046 PhiSlammaJamma, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  7. AstrosRockets1818

Question for some of you that really get the fibers of the free agency side (I’m no expert).

Let’s assume after this season when Springer and Brantley are free agents.......

1). Could we offer both a Qualifying Offer by rule?
    2). I don’t think we offer either a long-term contract. Love Springer but he will be on the wrong side of 30.
    3.). If both walk... is this a way to get some Comp picks back???

8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Springer definitely would get back a comp pick if he walks. Don’t think Brantley does though

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

yes, both would bring comp picks

very little doubt that we will try to resign Springer. Whether it gets done or not is to be determined, but a legit effort will be made

Htown Legend likes this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Cleveland Indians pitcher Mike Clevinger doesn't know exactly how he'll react the next time he's on the mound facing the Houston Astros.

"I think players will deal with it the way it should be across the league," Clevinger said. "I don't think it's going to be a comfortable few ABs [at-bats] for a lot of those boys, and it shouldn't be. They shouldn't be comfortable."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/mike-clevinger-sign-stealing-astros-1.5448884?cmp=rss

Here we go :(

11. msn

msn Member

I hope the Astros make every pitcher in the AL uncomfortable. I hope, amid the clatter of plastic trash cans and jeers, the Astros break the just-set franchise home run record. I hope pitchers struggle with giving up walks from all the high-and-tight crap or watching doubles and bombs sail all over they parks, while JV, Grienke, and LMJ baffle their hitters.

In short, I hope the Astros kick ass with no mercy all the way to game 4 of their 4-game sweep over the Dodgers.

A guy can hope.

mikol13, itzIce, Chilly_Pete and 10 others like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

1.) Yes, they have the option of offering both a QO; any free agent is eligible to receive a QO.
    2.) Springer is a certainty to receive a QO. Brantley would have to have an absolute monster year to receive one and it is incredibly unlikely.
    3.) Yes, any rejected QO receives a Comp pick.

13. The Beard

cool, if he hits someone there is written evidence he planned it out and there should be very long suspensions.

and if the commish doesn’t uphold a long suspension, he should be ripe for a lawsuit

14. The Beard

not sure what you consider an absolute monster year, but if he approaches last year he easily gets a QO

strange that someone who follows the game as closely as you doesn’t value how good Brantley is

No Worries likes this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

How many 34 year old corner outfielders are worth >$20M/yr?

I agree if he posts another 4+ fWAR season he will likely get a QO, but I consider that a monster year. I hope he surprises me.

16. Buck Turgidson

Clevinger grew up in Florida and plays in Ohio...that's a double-down on white-trash.

I'm sure he's quite the intellectual.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And he looks like he smells like B.O. and stale weed

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

It’s cool. Their hitters come to the plate, too.

There will be some fights. Everyone needs to know this going in.

Hell, a few good (hopefully harmless) fights might be what this needs to all go away.

cmoak1982 and everyday eddie like this.
  19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I wonder if any pitcher has the balls to hit Air Yordan. I'd love to see him destroy someone

raining threes likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

He looks like the kind of dude who sells dogs out of the trunk of a sedan.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.