1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin spoke frankly in post-game interview…right after a the big and amazing W over jazz

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Remlap

Remlap Member

This game is a bit of an indictment on James and Russ how these guys
    played together and took down a team that was expected to crush them.
    They should be a little embarrassed that we're on this losing streak with them at the helm

[​IMG]

hakeem94, FrontRunner and DeBeards like this.
  2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I dunt wanna make wild guessing, but role players and MDA did make use of the game to send kinda signal 'this is the kind of ball game gonna win a championship'.
    no chance complaining this team don't have quality role players anymore.

hakeem94, Remlap and charlieaustin like this.
  3. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

One game is what it is. If these guys had to play ten games without James and Russ, they probably win 3 or 4 of them at best.

They played well last night, but small sample size - no reason to overreact.

BamBam, D-rock and harold bingo like this.
  4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

yes, for sure.
    dunt wanna overhype. wait and see, wish everything got back on track
    W streak on the way

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Glad to see Gordon understands the Rockets need to make some adjustments to the way they play on offense and defense. More motion on one side, much better effort on the other.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

This isn't exactly shocking, of course these guys have more fun when the ball moves more and they touch it more, @Mr. Space City made a joke thread after the game last night, but i actually think a point he made was real, the team overall obviously isn't as good without James and Russ, but they probably play better basketball without them, because they all share the ball and move more (on both ends of the floor i'd add).

Some people here always say "well, if Harden doesn't have the ball there's no movemente anyway so, i rather see him have the ball all the time", well, no ****, five guys are on the court and the space is limited, if even just one guy doesn't move, there's literally no space for the other 4 to move either, that's why having 5 guys who move is ovbiously better.

With that said, it's just one game, but yeah, i actually love that some of our guys reminded us about how good they are, and that the "trash bench" argument is kinda exaggerated.

DeBeards likes this.
  7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Eric Gordon proved that anybody can score 50 per game in the Rockets system.

Cstyle42, hakeem94 and juanm34 like this.
  8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Yeah, could not agree more
    Say someone had his/her back to the wall, that should be the time he/she fight back by all means, quite alike while without our tandem, our role players fought back with full strength and brought out all weapons fearlessly on the table (move the ball to right person making good shots), thats a better basketball game; on the contrary, while russ and harden on court, all mates knew hero ball were there, no movement, no defense engagement, the game getting ugly out of control (MDA).

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Best thing about this game: The Rockets gave the league a blueprint for defeating the j*zz in the playoffs. Go 5-out and force Rudy Goober out to the 3-point line. That opens the lane if you have the personnel to take advantage of that, like we do.

10. ADINGLE10

ADINGLE10 Member

Well we kinda lost a string of games WITH Harden and/or Russ. This [just] one win doesn't diminish the fact that this the kind of basketball the TEAM needs to play if we hope to win consistently, especially against competition we're already slated to lose to.

edit: Insert clip of Kobe (in his interview with TMac) saying something along the lines of "...this type of [hero] basketball won't win championships..."

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Remlap

Remlap Member

To me, this game outs James and Russ.
    This game shows that MDA's system is still lethal and effective when run properly.
    But, lately we've seen
    - Poor shot selection (looking at you James)
    - Careless ball handling and turnovers (James and Russ)
    You can't brick shots time after time and also give the ball away 20X per game
    and expect to win. Just sloppy and careless play

This game had some dumb turnovers, sure, but for the most
    part, pretty efficient ball handling and decisions.
    We saw aggressive attacks to the basket
    Our PG was making shots (glad Gordon was ON) and getting to the basket
    It was the MDA offense we'd known over the past couple of years.
    Seems we've gotten away from that
    And Gordon is not even your prototypical quick PG, but was still able to make it work ala Jeremy Lin

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Takeaways: Experiment not staggering WB and Harden. See what a Rivers/Gordon led bench can do. Just like Harden and WB, EGO is at his best when he can dominate the ball. He's not a spot up shooter, hence why he's so streaky all the damn time. Rivers can be woven into lineups with Harden and WB but I don't think EGo is going to consistently play well with him Harden and WB all having to share the ball at the same time.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think there's some truth here cause i also remember how out of the game Eric was when Lou came here, Lou used to dominate the ball more and Eric was pretty much constantly out of the game in every game after he played as the sixth man of the year until the trade.

All things considered though, i think we have to live with Eric being some sort of 3&D player when James and Russ are out there, in the end they're both better players so, make sense if Eric is the one that has to sacrifice his game a bit, i don't see that as a problem. Then sure, they could maybe do something to make him more comfortable and give him more "freedom", but i don't really know if/how that's possible on this team...i feel like a lot of things would've to change, or better, some things that are probably too deep-rooted at this point.

RedRedemption likes this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We are usually the team that gets caught sleeping. It's nice to see our role players get up for a the David role. Keep this same energy and add another 3/4/5 that can shoot to ensure we can go 5 out more. Cut Capela's minutes a bit and play this style more. Jonah Bolden would be a good fit.

hakeem94 and DeBeards like this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

Eric Gordon is living proof that Scottie would average 50

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

remember corey brewer also scored 55 once.