1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

So basically they should censor themselves and stopping fun out of spite. Yeah, that'll show the media!

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Posted because he’s repping the Astros

3. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Not just the Rockets, all 3 home teams.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/latest-on-red-sox-asking-price-for-mookie-betts.html

The Jim Crane “F$&@ them all, lets win it this year” hypothetical trade:

Astros get:
    OF Mookie Betts
    SP David Price
    $20M

Red Sox get:
    OF Kyle Tucker
    OF Josh Reddick
    P Bryan Abreu
    P Cristian Javier

Resulting roster:
    CF Springer
    RF Betts
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    LF Brantley
    1B Gurriel
    C Maldonado
    Bench: Diaz, Garneau, Straw, Toro
    Rotation: Verlander, Greinke, Price, McCullers, Urquidy
    Bullpen: Pruitt, Peacock, Devenski, Biagini, James, Smith, Pressly, Osuna

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Long time no see ClutchFans.

I was wondering if the Rockies would be willing to discuss a Correa for Arenado deal. I think it could work.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Arenado is still owed 234 million and pulling a hitter out of Colorado is always risky.

If we were willing to drop that kind of scratch, I would have preferred we added Rendon and used Correa to improve elsewhere. Since they didn't seem to really be in on Rendon, I don't think they would be interested.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

NRIs:

The entire projected AAA roster was invited; Pena and Robinson are notable as guys who don’t project to AAA. Astros will have 31 pitchers in camp to start out.

8. prospecthugger

I had wondered if this would be delayed until after they find a manager. Minor league coaching staffs are typically announced around this time as well. I kind of assumed that Luhnow and co. took care of that already, and it just hasn't been announced yet, but who knows at this point.

As far as the NRIs are concerned, its basically the AAA roster with a few modifications. Seems promising for Peña and Scrubb to have leapfrogged older players (Anibal and the handful of AAA arms that didn't get invited) and not great for the prospect status of Scheetz and Blanco.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

10. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Really glad to see Kaplan getting served up. He's a twat, just like Drellich was. There might be no industry in more dire need of reform than Journalism. Agendas ****ing everywhere.

mikol13 and The Beard like this.
  11. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Wow. Denial is a river.

12. Buck Turgidson

What am I denying?

raining threes and BigM like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That Houston is soon to be the 3rd largest city in the country. This small town/rural america complex is bullshit. The city isn't being disrespected because of some major market conspiracy. We are one of the better known cities in the world. People don't move here to get lost. This isn't 80's Houston anymore.

14. msn

msn Member

I don't see how any of this is related to the post you replied to. Size be damned, some media types seem to hate Houston. That point may be arguable, but it's a common perception.

raining threes likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's a conspiracy theory. One that is expressed by bitter fans in tons of cities. It's like when you were little and traveled to another city and where shocked to see ABC and FOX on different channels.

16. Nook

Nook Member

That mentality dies HARD.

Chicago is the third largest city/media market and has been second or third for over 100 years. To this day people in Chicago complain about being slighted by NY or LA.

17. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory at all. I think it's logical that there is more money to be made on the 2 coasts; the West Coast and the East Coast. I an a proud Houstonian and love my local teams, but also understand that sports are a business.

All things being equal, the NBA and the media absolutely wanted the Knicks to beat us in 93. Not because they inherently dislike us, but the NEW YORK Knicks winning it all and being champions is WAY more of a compelling story (and would sell a ton more SI covers with Patrick Ewing on it) than if we won. It's a business, and they would have made more money, plain and simple.

Think about if Yao was a Laker or a Knick. The narrative would have been very, very different.

Sorry for the basketball analogies, but the concepts carry true in all 3 sports; the NBA, NFL, and MLB. All things being equal, I think MLB would drool over a Yankees/Dodgers WS. I don't think there is a conspiracy to make that happen, but probably a strong preference for the sport in general (and there is nothing wrong with that, from a business standpoint).

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros, Rays, Twins, Yankees, A’s, White Sox, and Angels all have extremely deep lineups. Red Sox, Blue Jays, and Indians are only 1 player away from joining them. Royals, Tigers, Mariners, Rangers, and Orioles have work to do. AL likely to be decided by starting pitcher health.

Nook likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member