1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Fan Interest in the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The majority of the country doesn’t care about regular season NBA games.

KePoW likes this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'll tune in to check out Zion. If you're going to give me a no defense, arcade style game, at least make it exciting with high flying action instead of free layups, free throws and a endless 3 pt bombs. But, i'm sure even Zion will get boring too as defenders wont even contest his dunks like old school guys, they'll just move out of the way to save face. :rolleyes:

3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We just don't have that fight anymore. The only person I see visibly try on the court is Westbrook, even Tucker looks like he's had enough.

I think this team, especially the core knows deep down the window is closed and this team just doesn't have enough to win it all.

BigShasta likes this.
  4. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Exactly, the regular season is a waste of time. Way too many games which is unnecessary.

Another reason is that *literally over half* the teams make the playoffs. That's dumb as hell.

It's why NFL regular season is so popular, because it actually matters.

BigShasta likes this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

First they bash us, then they become us.

J.R. likes this.
  6. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

B-Bob and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  7. SemisolidSnake

Winning a championship is a great way to get people interested in attending your team's games. At least for a while. Astros always had average-to-poor attendance until they finally won.

Of course, if you're the Texans, you can go 0-16 and still sell out, because football.

8. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Refs, weak ass super stars forming omega super teams, d'antonis lack of coaching, I love the rockets but my interest is at an all time low. I hate that it is. Of all the sports, this is my team team.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Nfl is not much different. There are a handful of teams with a chance.

10. Rokman

Rokman Member

Once I had kids my need to be a fan really came to an end. I had a family and didn't need or want the drama of being a sports fan, especially one as unsuccessful as the Rockets to put my loyalty and passion into. It's really ridiculous to even be a fan of any sport honestly because it's just constant adoration of someone else's accomplishments or grief over their failures when you should be applying that same level of passion to your own life or your families. The owners want you to be passionate so they can make a return on your investment but you don't get anything out of their winning or not, though so many people have tricked themselves to believe they do. Fanaticism is a delusion and for some a mental disorder and an obsession that is borderline, if not fully, psychotic. I don't mean psychotic lightly, I mean clinically psychotic. People should be aware of what the marketing and hyping of these athletes masqueraded as "heros" are doing to the individuals psyche. People are obsessing over a business that has proven to be rigged and fraught with corruption hoping that they may get to live through some sort of "glory" experience only to be let down over and over and over. When their team actually does win, that's it, the team wins and the next day the pundits are peddling the next season and who will win and are already over the "glory" of your team winning unless of course that team comes from California or New York. In that case, that team will be talked about relentlessly as the greatest team to have ever competed and all other teams are a joke.

Bottom line, people are wasting some of the best years of their life worrying and hoping that some guys donning a Rockets jersey who won't be there one to two years from that point will make all their dreams come true instead of applying all that passion into the one thing that will, themselves. It's sad.

11. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

word, rather have the struggles now than have them in the post season.

Air Yordan likes this.
  12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its always like that in Houston no one pays attention to the NBA until after March Madness.

13. Aware

Aware Member

Houston is a soft sports market for everything other than pro football.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  14. rockets13champs

Could just be an outlier which makes u think this way.

15. How_Sweep_It_Is

The UFC event was PPV. Any major PPV event is gonna the the “main TV” treatment at a bar.

That said, I personally don’t care. I stopped watching this team because they are joyless and boring and don’t care if they get embarrassed on national tv.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t live in Houston, so I don’t know what’s like on the ground there after this week. It’s been rough from a distance, so I can’t imagine that there is much enthusiasm for sports right now in the city. That said, the Rockets have teased fans for the last few seasons. I think losing to Golden State so often, whether it be going toe-to-toe and losing in game 7 or squandering a golden opportunity last season really took the wind out of the sails for a lot of casual fans. They’ve seen all of the extremes with this team and determined that they’ve maxed out.

I also think that Harden’s brilliance is lost on a lot of casual fans. Us diehards who post here desperately want people to appreciate his game more, but the national narrative about him has been set for a while. We can complain all we want about it, but the casual sports fan’s perception is very easily shaped by ESPN and other talking heads.

Finally, it’s just outrageously expensive to attend a game. The lower bowl sucks. It is what it is and I don’t think it’ll ever change unless the bottom line tanks. Given the option between spending $400 for two on a 2.5 hours of lifeless entertainment, I’ll choose my couch and home bar every single time.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

My issue is, yes Harden is a once in a generation talent.... so good that I think he could have won with no other all stars around him if he had a solid supporting cast like Dirk did. But moreys star chasing and Tillman’s tax evasion has lead to him being surround by Westbrook and a bunch of crap players that only look decent because of Harden. Morey & Tilman ****ed his career.

this supporting cast is a joke.

18. icewill36

icewill36 Member

When the rockets were a 65 win team they still didn't really care until the playoffs. It's just not a basketball city I guess.

19. Chamillionaire

This team, in particular, is just difficult to watch at times. We give up leads almost every game and it seems like they're throwing up bricks more often than not. I love the Rockets, but I can understand why people, in general, prefer to watch (follow) other teams.

Pat likes this.
  20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Because it has gotten reptitive. Sprinkle in one title durong the Harden era and you'd have a different outcome. They might have sacrificed one of the front TVs at the bar for the game.

And to think we'll have to deal with Luka for 10 years makes this suck even worse.