1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Passan] Luhnow and Hinch suspended one year

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

QOs for Correa, Verlander, and Greinke in 2021 will give a rebuild a kickstart via the 2022 draft. Tanking in 2022 and 2023 is almost a given, which likely means trading Bregman, Tucker, Alvarez, and any one else who emerges over the next 2 seasons. It’s over.

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I would think that the far more likely scenario is that the players were given immunity in exchange for honesty, and Hinch had no choice but to confirm their previous admissions.

mikol13 likes this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Will they appeal and get to come back after the ASB? Is that a possibility?

4. awc713

awc713 Member

We’ll be fine. Today sucks but we’ll make it out okay. Our team will be hungry as hell in 2020. If we can just stay healthy...watch out.

this certainly sucks, but 4 lost picks can be addressed elsewhere. International signings will be big as will trades. Hell, most teams botch their first and second rounders anyways (and they’re all slotted to be in the 25 and 70 range) . I trust Luhnow, Crane, and Hinch. This is NOT the end! We WILL celebrate again and it’ll be all the more rewarding when we do.

I think a Springer extension is more necessary now than ever...we’ve still got a top 3 core in baseball IMO. Time to bite the bullet and extend Georgey. I think it would be huge for the clubhouse and morale. Now...Time to absorb the punishment and punish our opponents, Patriots style.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

Strangely, I’m suddenly super excited for the upcoming season.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You are assuming the qualifying offer will still be in place after the next collective bargaining...

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The Pats got punished and responded by winning again. What will our players do?

8. CinematicFusion

according to Mandred report Astros continued to cheat in the playoffs after Sox/Yankees got caught in September of 17.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

let's just compartmentalize the bad news within each Houston sport, please and thank you.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros knew the punishment for Luhnow and Hinch was going to be very severe and the one year time frame was discussed at the MMP offices. It was such a strong concern that it impacted what the Astros did and did not do this off season as far as signings and trades go.

I will be curious to see how big an impact the conversations between Manfred and Crane have had concerning the direction of the organization.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. naldodiaz

naldodiaz Member

thank you! in the end the better team in the playoffs came out on top. but i wouldn't be lying if i said the dodgers had a great chance to win as well, maybe even greater. our players came out at the right time and no alleged sign stealing if i'm correct for the entire series.

12. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Too bad Mike Fiers doesn't bat in the AL

13. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Champions*

Astros need to Prove it this upcoming season now. #proveit

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Luhnow and Hinch kept all of this under wraps from Crane then I can see either (or both) getting fired because it makes Crane and his investment/franchise look bad. But I'm highly doubtful that Crane was oblivious to the whole thing.

I honestly don't see either Luhnow or Hinch losing their jobs because of this anytime soon. But maybe that's just me.

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Espada should be ready to step in for Hinch, so I’m not really worried about that aspect. The current players aren’t impacted, so that’s good. Losing the picks hurts a lot, but losing our GM is what’s going to really set us back I think. This team needs some work, so hopefully Lunhow had some things already in the works that the new person can just step in and implement them before the season starts. Seems bleak right now though.

16. dmoneybangbang

Just sucks the Yankees think they can look down their cheating’ noses at us.

We all know the league isnt further investigating their collaboration with YES network during 2017 which resulted in a fine.

17. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I just read it from here:

It appears they didn't stop until the middle of 2018 season. So they probably deserve more punishment than the Red Sox and Yankees in 2017, but this seems really out of line.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

We cheated and were caught. Not surprised they dropped the hammer on us.

TOTALLY WORTH IT!

19. Nook

Nook Member

My understanding is that MLB could not positively connect Luhnow as knowledgeable of what was happening.

Hinch and the players did not implicate him. No one could directly state that he knew, but it is pretty clear the league believes he did or at a minimum established the culture that allowed it to happen. The league let the Astros know some time ago that they were going to punish the GM and manager. There is no doubt that this is a culmination of a number of issues between the Astros GM and the front office.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And so many thought this wouldn't happen. LOL

I don't care. That banner will still fly and good luck taking away the memories