1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Passan] Luhnow and Hinch suspended one year

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Aware

Aware Member

And honestly, would you rather be the dodgers/dodgers fans? like blue balls and all but satisfaction in knowing you did it "the right way"

**** no!
    put an asterisks on it if you want.. who gives a **** we still da best

2. Nook

Nook Member

This...... for awhile at least.

I know the front office expected this type of suspension for Luhnow and the manager.

There were concerns among some of the people working under Luhnow and Hinch that they would be implicated and that their careers would be over.

The inference in all of this is that the MLB front office does not like Luhnow or how he conducts himself.

It is also telling that MLB went out of their way to say that the owner was not aware of it........ almost as if giving him an out to fire the GM and to a lesser extent, manger.

I don't buy the whole idea that Hinch had such a problem with it, he could have easily stopped it and did not. I like Hinch a lot, but that shows a lack of leadership that he didn't stop it.......... but it also shows the culture of the game. Cheating is extremely common and players and coaches look the other way. The same thing happened with performance enhancing drugs.

3. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I just want to add that Astros undoubtedly deserve to be punished, but their punishment should be in line with the standard and precedents that were already set for electronically stealing signs in the 2017 season.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Meh... trade Greinke, Correa, and Verlander at the deadline in 2021. Picks recovered

GradyMcTracy and awc713 like this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

Bingo bango, the severity on the punishment in relation to the timing of when it occurred does not seem fair at all. The report is rife with malign towards Luhnow for how he chooses to run his team, his employees, and other execs. This was an FU to Luhnow, and is replete with as much dirtiness as the sign stealing itself.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Fake.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Still sunk cost....... the Astros lost two #1's and two #2's....

The biggest loss is losing their GM though.

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Will crap..............I'm still riding the high from the World Series win though.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Trading your two best pitchers and your stud shortstop makes you the Angels.

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

As if losing the 2019 World Series wasn’t bad enough, this just makes it worse because that would have been a legitimate title. I hate this so much

11. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Hoping the Astros were forward thinking and briefed Espada and whoever is going to step in for Luhnow on how things are ran.

12. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Somehow i think beating the Nats would have all been in vain if this was going down anyway

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The marking slogan for the Astros this season should be: PROVE IT!

Works on a couple of different levels :)

Scarface281, htwnbandit, msn and 2 others like this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So why was Luhnow suspended? Just because of the "culture"?

htwnbandit likes this.
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

And where is the full report?

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Devastating. Hard to see Luhnow or Hinch being kept on. And the 4 draft picks is absolutely devastating for a team wanting to contend long term. This punishment leads me to predict an even more “all-in” approach these next 2 seasons, with a full tear down afterward. I’m shocked Luhnow got a full year ban and I’m very surprised it was 4 picks. Damn.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Anybody think Hinch's honesty about what went down will hurt his relationship with his players? Seems like he ratted out the players and Cora.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Part of me wouldn't mind the franchise trading key players away for draft picks and prospects and starting over. Make sure to trade the players to MIN or PIT (or to the league's least money-making franchises). Start up a few new 100 loss seasons. And flip off MLB with each move.

Jake Tower likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They will be free agents after 2021 anyway and Greinke and Verlander aren't getting any younger. So we sacrifice one year of contention by trading them with 3 months left on their contract to actually get something instead of watching them leave for nothing.

You prefer just letting them walk like Cole, Keuchel, Morton, etc when we won't have 4 top picks the next 2 years?

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So is Luhnow getting suspended because he is taking the fall for other people? I'm trying to figure out exactly what he did because nothing seems to implicate him.

RayRay10 and everyday eddie like this.