1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They're not going to fire BO'B

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They should! I'm fully on board. But this feels like 2010 all over again: the fans are going to spend a lot of energy this offseason on something that (probably) isn't going to happen.

But hey! Let's be positive - that 2010 offseason led Wade Phillips here and arguably the two best years in franchise history so... there's that.

Working from the (likelihood) that BO'B will be the head coach in 2020, what changes would you like to see? I have three - and they're pretty obvious, but...:

1) Fire/retire Romeo Crennel and replace him with an external hire The former is likely; the later less so.
    2) Hire a real general manager If you're not going to fire BO'B, you damn well better punish him and stripping GM duties from him is a start
    3) Hire an external offensive coordinator (sidebar: AND IT BETTER BE TONY ELLIOT OR I RIOT) This is the Wade Phillips move - force someone on BO'B, again as punishment.

Again, absent them doing the right thing and firing BO'B, I really think those three moves would make the Texans better in 2020.

What else can they do? Who else would you hire?

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Curious to know which head coach was on the verge of being fired, hired all new coordinators, and turned the team around.

I’m serious

juanm34 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Hey Now!

Well, Kubiak, in 2010, after going 6-10, fired his (second) defensive coordinator, hired Wade Phillips and built a legitimate (two-year) juggernaut. I'm quite certain there are other examples. I mean, successful coaching staffs are poached often - I know that's not the same thing (on the verge of being fired) - but coordinator turnover is fairly common, good or bad.

They need a fresh start; short of that, they need fresh eyes/perspective in the building.

Blatz, red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Get Caserio
    Get Kris Richard

Hey Now! likes this.
  5. acruz2

acruz2 Member

On Get Up! they are ripping BOB a new butt hole. They are telling it like it is. I cant wait to see what on the other sport talk shows say about BOB. Top brass needs to look at BOB's decision making. It has been happening for years. I don't see how they just take the high road everytime. They need to be in the room asking the tough questions.

Houstunna, joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Hey Now!

(loudly clears throat).... They're not going to fire BO'B, remember? So... what should they do?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Just go back to threads from last year or the year before where people told you this was going to happen and see wha was suggested then lol.

in all seriousness I get that if you’re a Texans mega fan... you talk Texans offseason moves. But you have to take it out to the inevitable. What’s the end goal? To figure out how they can go farther and win a ring. And that being the case no offseason moves matter with BillyO as head coach. They can have a top 5 defense of all time and he would still find a way to lose in the playoffs because coaching is so important in the nfl and he is just legitimately bad at it in every phase.

EDIT: since I know the premise is they’re not going to fire BillyO. I get the premise of the thread. I’m saying you’re better off investing your energy into whatever tactic you think gets him fired sooner. Sky is blue. Water is wet. BillyO won’t win a SB with the Texans. No other offseason moves matter.

#7 JayZ750, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Nook, Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Glad you’re on board. Also don’t believe the Texans will fire BoB. Why? Because it’s what the Texans do. Wish they’d show us all some balls right now.

Taking emotions out of this, it’s just time. BoB has had plenty of time to take this team to the next level and he just hasn’t. This team hasn’t shown real progress for me, it’s been status quo for a while.

I’m not sure who the Texans should get, I’d like to do a little more research. It will most likely be a waste of time, but I can dream.

Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

That’s why this franchise doesn’t deserve to have anyone emotionally invested in this team. People should be embarrassed to root for this organization as long as they allow **** like buttchin to remain in the building. Until he is gone, **** the Texans!

Bshaud and hou$tonScrew$tonTX like this.
  10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Going to need a new DC. Here is the thing...Are they going to take power away from BoB? I don’t think so. I don’t think BoB would go for it and I don’t think the Texans have the stones.

Need a legit GM, DC and OC that calls plays and utilizes Watson better.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Everyone is focusing on the defense, but the single biggest problem this team has is that they have a "franchise QB" a "franchise LT" a "franchise WR" and they struggle to score points.

They basically generated 14 points yesterday with the rest being gifted to them by the Chiefs. OBrien can't scheme this offense. The only way guys get open is when they run downfield and just beat their man. There's no scheming guys open on short and intermediate routes.

His playcalling is terrible.

So what do they need to do?

1) They need an offensive coordinator that has authority. Not another yes man for Obrien. An outside voice with play calling authority that he can work with instead of someone who he grooms as a WR coach or TE coach to become his offensive coordinator that will never bring a different set of eyes.

2) If you don't do number 1, does anything else really matter?

12. Fantasma Negro

Billy has gaffes but that loss was about yet another defensive collapse. Put Rac back upstairs in charge of timeouts and challenges and get a defensive coordinator that knows how to make in game play to play adjustments. And Mike Adams needs to be the **** off this team

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't know what you want RAC to do. They don't generate any pass rush and they don't have a good secondary. What is he supposed to do?

The team loves Whitney Mercilus who is a solid linebacker but not a major pass rush threat. The secondary is a bunch of washouts, rejects and over the hill guys that you hope have a great game.

The personnel just isn't good on defense.

This isn't a defense of RAC by the way, I don't give a hoot whether they keep him or not.

Nook, Fyreball and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I agree with you on the emotional part. Why should I follow the Texans? I grew up an Oilers fan. Then the new kid moved in, and I wished them well. Usually an emotional investment in a team follows winning or a certain player or group of players. JJ Watt did a lot for me to say 'I'm a Texans fan' but our organization has been consistently mediocre. If we were a perennial playoff team that competed, sure. But I can say that only one year during our six playoff years did I think we had what it took to win it all.

My wife's assistant's son played for the Patriots this year and I got a real insight into the mindset of a legitimately contending team does. And the Texans don't do the sort of things I heard about going on at the Patriots organization.

So until our owner nuts up, it will be a 'meh' from me.

naldodiaz, Jake Tower and roxallways like this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

What happened to Jacob Martin, did he die? McKinney played every defensive snap, Whit, B Scar, I thought they were the Rock Boys. Throughout the season they generated what little pass rush they had through the linebackers and DJ Reader. Where the **** was Reader? Blackson? Charles Omenihu? These guys were the stars of the defense in flashes during the season, a good coach would know how to get consistency out of these guys. Stop acting like we lined up Sterling High against Patty Mahomes, those are nfl players, Rac didn't have them locked in. And JJ was worse of all, he could've just stayed home if he was gonna play like ass. I place that loss squarely on the shoulders of the defense

donkeypunch and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes, I agree. They need to fire BillyO and hire an offensive focused HC, imo. Outside of the truly all-time greats - eg. Belichick - the HC should be a reflection of the style of the team. KC with Mahomes/Reid. The Titans with defense/running. The 49ers who have tailored a short throw, large YAC offense for JimmyG, etc. This team will go as far as HC and DW will take them. To not be scoring 27+ ppg (which would be top 6 this year) with the talent on offense is ridiculous.

A good/great HC then also hires a great DC and is on the same page with them.

Bearing in mind I'm no NFL coach... from what I've seen from decades of watching as a fan, a great DC uses scheme to generate pass rush. Certainly, talent still rules all, as in every sport. BUT, I think it folly to think they don't have talent on defense.

They don't have top 5 talent on defensive talent. But they have talent.

Frankly, I'd go as far as to say, EVEN without "assets" to strongly restock, I think with BillyO gone an the right new regime in, this is a team that actually COULD go to and win a SB next year.

Heck, even though I don't think he's done a great job as a GM either, and even though Tunsil had a trillion false starts, and even though they've given up meaningful draft capital... Tunsil nonetheless was a really good LT, Stills was a nice add-in, Hyde was really solid, Duke Johnson was underutilized (coaching) but you could see could have been really well utilized (GM'ing) if coaching was better, the secondary adds weren't all pro's but made sense, and the draft picks made actually were actually pretty solid (though that might be all Brian Gaines, but doubt it, given how much control BillyO has). Honestly, the one thing he TRULY f'd up as a GM was Clowney, and I might even given him some benefit of the doubt there because I think he was in disagreement with Gaines. In other words, had BillyO fired (effectively, even though its Cal/the organization firing him) Gaines immediately after the season ended last year, I think he probably would have had a better outcome on Clowney, even if still not a home run.

So while I'd rather see BillyO go completely, I could actually be sold on a scenario where he just relinquishes coaching duties all together and remains the GM. Seems hard to imagine they'd actually get a great coaching staff in that scenario, but it's possible. And honestly, wouldn't BillyO be happier than? And wouldn't Cal still be happy then? And wouldn't the fans at least be appeased and happier?

So if I'm going to answer the thread earnestly - what do they do given the won't fire B'ob??

My answer is to keep him employed, let him be GM, and "in charge", keep his salary, keep whatever it is that has him entrenched in the Texans organization, and change out the coaching staff entirely.

naldodiaz, Jake Tower and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's pretty cool.

What are a few of the differences you saw between what the Pats do? (Video filming excluded) :D

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They're not gonna strip OBrien of power

Nook, justtxyank and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Once Nick Caserio gets here they will.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Whats your grade on BoB as a coach now? Still positive since he still has a stellar winning record during the regular season over a span of a few years or now negative since his latest shtty playoff performance is fresh?

Theres a reason y i focused mainly coach playoff record and generally ignore regular season records. Pretty good indication of a coach's talent

#20 DatRocketFan, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020