1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sous vide question - ribeye

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Boneless ribeye, maybe 1.8 inches thick. 1.86 pounds. Fairly marbled.

What temp and how long should I cook it? Making it tonight so answers ASAP would be greatly appreciated!!

Would like it to be medium rare, but closer to medium than rare.

Anova Nano is what I'm using fwiw

#1 Haymitch, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Lots of restaurants do this.

https://saltpepperskillet.com/recipes/sous-vide-steak/

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks, that's what I'm trying to do, but the issue is that my boneless ribeye is almost 2 pounds, and all the directions I can find online are for 1-1.5 pounds. I'm just trying to find out how what the time and temp should be for a very thick boneless ribeye.

Saw one random site that says 2 hours. Another random site said 2 pounders should be cooked at least 3 hours (too late for my early bird self!) so I was hoping someone with more knowledge on this can help me out

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

125 for 3 hours should be good.

5. donkeypunch

I would recommend more than 3 hours but Id do that minimum.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

The reason restaurants use sous vide is that it keeps the meat at the desired temperature for quite some time until you're ready to use it; it isn't a slow cooker. It is meant to keep it at a temp until you are ready. So put it in, go to work, and sear when you get home.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn! Guess I'll brew some coffee!

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm doing it right now

9. donkeypunch

Its not something you have to monitor like a brisket or anything. The temp of the meat will never rise above what you set it at.

Astrodome likes this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

It's a Saturday. Nothing wrong with eating at 11:00.

Haymitch likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I know. I've used it before, just with thinner steaks.

100% correct, but the baby and toddler wake up at 6-7am regardless of what time I eat dinner, so that is why I'd rather not stay up too late.

But I am. Cuz I've already started it. So it's all good.

Blatz and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Just for future reference. You can’t overcook most proteins (I have overcooked skirt and turned it into mush) in a sous vide. So when I do any cut steak I’ll just throw them in around lunch or even earlier at 125-129 then finish them whenever I’m ready. If it’s a long cook just add a little butter.

13. Asian Sensation

Just do this.

If you really wanna sous vide then replace the oven portion step for it. However with a cut like ribeye that’s well marbled you should definitely use the cast iron with the buttering/herbs so you get that nice crust with the deep buttery/aromatic flavor. Most importantly it’s gonna look a helluva lot more appetizing considering people mainly eat with their eyes.

Two Sandwiches and Haymitch like this.
  14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

thickness and weight of the steak dont really matter with sous vide.

for medium rare i do 134 degrees for 2 hours or so.

Haymitch likes this.
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

Saw this recently and have been dying to try it. Just need to get a place with a Weber.

Blatz and Haymitch like this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks, all, for your input. The steak was divine. Ended up doing 134 for 3 hours and it turned out exactly how I wanted. Finished on SS skillet. And the $12 cabernet I got from Costco wasn't bad either!

Blatz likes this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think the only thing that matters is thickness (assuming it's fully imerrsed), this is both in my experience and per this article: https://sansaire.com/cook-steak-sous-vide/

This is important if you're trying to cook sooner or avoid additional breakdown**, ie while you won't burn a steak if you have it in the sous vide you'll breakdown the meat more to almost like a roast/mushy type meat if you go way way over. Your suggested 2 hour mark is probably perfect in most cases, but if you're in a hurry a 1" cut can be done in as little as 1 hour. I typically go 126 F for a medium rare. This is incase I overshoot the sear (this is normally pretty hard to do if you're remotely paying attention), but I prefer only chancing a medium.

Per the article: **You can leave a tender steak (strip steak, fillet, flank, etc.) in the bath for up to 4 hours without any noticeable loss of quality. Longer than that, however, and “tenderness” will begin to give way to “mushiness”. While the steak can’t overcook with respect to doneness, it can cook for too long. **

#17 CCity Zero, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Check out that link with suggested times/Temps but in my experience that's pretty much perfect for your thickness of steak 2-3 hours tops. I go lower on the temp as detailed in my post above, but it really depends what you want and with your ribeye might have been perfect temp per the link below.

On a side note, in my experience I've found leaner cuts seem to come out better/easier... NY strip/heck even a sirloin as long as decent meat comes out better than ribeye in my experience (the exact opposite from typical grilling), with that said there are some interesting suggestions I've seen: the reason I'm stating this is the fat doesn't always come out right vs the grill/traditional methods, and while it's possible to do I've just had a lot easier time with a learner cut since you don't have to worry about the fat.

19. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I use a vacuum sealer to store food in the freezer. The thing is, the food picks up a weird plastic bag flavor in short order. So I couldn't help Googling this topic...

Sous Vide: A Popular Way to Put Plastic Straight into Your Food

I would personally pass on this cooking method, but that's just me. There are probably countless articles proclaiming it safe, so if it works for you, by all means carry on.

One could argue searing meat, or cooking over gas or charcoal, or just eating red meat in general, isn't so good for our bodies either (and that doesn't stop me). So again, do as you like.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I don't doubt that there is a chance that plastic + hot water + food + multiple hours is a problematic formula. As I understand it, there are tons of microplastics in a lot of things that we consume regularly, and that can't be good.

But nothing in that article was too damning, IMO. One academic study from 2011 was an interesting source and raised good questions, but the rest of the sources were meh. I'm not familiar with that organization but it's About Us mentions they advocate holistic methods, which isn't really my thing.

The main issue raised in that article that resonates with me is the plastic + hot water + food + multiple hours formula. And as I read it, it's the multiple hours part that is the crux of it. I wonder if doing sous vide for just 1 hour would be considered not problematic?

FrontRunner likes this.