1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul Watch

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 23, 2019.

1. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Cp looked great tonight

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

He can’t take over games anymore. Oh wait

#162 YOLO, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    HP3 likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just having a killer year.

How stupid are we.

Mr. Dominant and clutchdabear like this.
  5. macan

macan Member

i hope both CP and Russ get selected to all star games this year

BeBreezy likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

One thing people aren't considering is that CP3 may have never played this well for the Rockets.

Adams is probably one of, if not, the best screen setting bigs in the NBA. CP3 is thriving off of that and the mid range game and whenever he wants to call for it, it is his.

macan and BeBreezy like this.
  7. dream2franchise

Another thing worth considering is right now we're viewing CP3's season without the scrutiny of factoring in his play relative to a) his contract, and b) his reliability and effectiveness for a team with championship aspirations. The pressure is off CP3 right now and he's playing loose and enjoying himself. The man's just hooping right now. The stakes just aren't the same.

With Russ, it all matters. We brought him in hoping he could take over games when Harden is being smashed with double teams and it's looking pretty good so far. Typical bumps expected aside. Every game matters in the standings, and every bone headed play is given a second glance once we look at the contract.

The twisted thing is that if CP can't go in the playoffs, it cruelly validates the trade, and in the meantime we're watching Russ the same way we did Paul last season, with an eye on whether or not the performance justifies the contract.

8. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

We forgetting about the other two guards. Which have been playing great too. Giving cp3 less of a workload. We didn’t have that. Harden or cp3 handled the ball but we didn’t really have another playmaker since Gordon doesn’t handle the ball well. And last season it was mostly Harden because Chris imo still wasn’t 100 percent healthy.

Schouder, GA, Adams and Cp3 had a good game and they still lost. OKC has a lot of length and young guys. Adams has always been a good pick and roll and he is so strong inside. Only thing I questioned was CP3 Health in the long run but to me OKC looked good, they had Gallo as well. Chris looked healthy and leaner this year before we traded him.

IMO both teams got a good deal. Yes Russ goes too quick at times but he brings another gear in pace and effort that cp3 bring in defense but not as much in offense.

OKC has Schouder and G.A who are quick and athletic. And we got Harden when it’s time to slow down and they got cp3 for that.

Still I think we are better than OKC. Well we will se them this week anyway

HewbieTrippin and JayGoogle like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I was thinking this too and CP3 said it himself that he's having a lot of fun, said it was the most fun he's had in a while and I don't think he means that as a dig to playing with Harden or anything...it's just as you say, he's just playing basketball with little stakes other than to prove he can still play.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

No championship aspirations.
    No need to show out to play for a lucrative contract.

Hell, there's not even a need to show the world he's still got "it," despite CP3 thinking that he probably still has something to prove.

Whether they go 82-0 or 0-82 doesn't matter to him nor the Thunder. Literally the best situation for a veteran first-ballot future HoF who's done everything besides win a ring.

BigShasta likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah all the signs were pointing to him having a great year after he disappeared vs gsw

how many points is he scoring again?

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Talk about a point of view with zero nuance or context. In a vacuum, yes CP3 is having a killer year. Does that mean we're stupid? **** no. Based on last year's results, combined with what we know of his health the last two years, and the fact that it's only JANUARY, it's still a safe assumption that he probably wouldn't be effective for us when we need it the most. I couldn't give two ***** about what he's doing in OKC right now....what I do know is that in 2 series against the Warriors in the last 2 seasons (you know, the team he was brought here to beat), we couldn't count on him in either elimination game because he was either injured or ineffective.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. larsv8

We gave up four picks to downgrade players with a worse contract.

Stupid is an understatement.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Get back to me when Russ is healthy and contributing in the playoffs. Until then, this is all irrelevant noise. And we didn't give up 4 picks....we gave up 2 picks with 2 pick swaps that won't make a damn bit of difference as long as we have Harden and are competing for championships.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. eman

eman Contributing Member

I can picture Morey updating his CV about now...

16. larsv8

I guess you aren't familiar with Russ in the past two playoffs.

I will give you a hint: 36% shooting.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He played better than this his first year with the Rockets, and aside from the clutch point thing, he's not exactly killing it relative to last year. He's slightly better... but way better in the clutch. He has a 20.8 PEr vs. 19.7 last year and 24.4 the year before. Statistically, he is definitely way more efficient from 2.

The Thunder would do VERY well to sell high now, if possible. He will get injured again at some point, and as well as he's/they're playing, their ceiling remains 7th seed.

The only reason not to try is because of any positive impact he has on SGA and anyone else.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He's got another motive, in Houston's first year he monitored an already veteran guard in Harden in the Playoffs.

Now he is mentoring Shai GA , I think it is more fun to mentor a young guy.

YOLO likes this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Nice article about CP

HewbieTrippin and YOLO like this.