1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Washed up" Chris Paul is the best clutch player in the NBA and will be in All-Star Game this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wait, so you really think PJ Tucker's Net Rating, which is .1 better than Russ, represents his value to the team as well?

I wonder what this says about CP3s Net Rating, it being lower than Russ and all.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Well OKCs team net rating is + 1.2

Chris Paul’s net rating is +3.0

So what it says about CP3 is that he plays for a worse team, but is ELEVATING the net rating of the team.

Westbrook and Tuck have lower net ratings than the team overall. Thereby LOWERING the net rating of the team.

And CP3s net rating in the two years in Houston.... +13.2 and + 8.3

Light years better than Westbrook. I have seen you claim that it’s unfair and not as easy for Westbrook to sport high net rating and +/- numbers. How did broken down old man CP3 manage to do so well when a lot of his minutes were playing without Harden and leading the bench unit, just like Russy?

#422 jordnnnn, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

First of all, that isn't my claim, that was Dean Oliver's claim when it came to Ortg used on basketball reference, NBA.com rating stats are much more team focused they are all imperfect stats...like every stat out there, yet here they are being used to say whether a player is good or not, which I obviously disagree with. I think it makes sense that comparing any advanced stat from role players to star players is unfair to star players that are asked to do more. Of course it is easier to be efficient when you play a limited amount of minutes and if you are playing bad (like McLemore) you will be taken out of the game...unlike guys like Harden, Tucker, Westbrook, Capela, MDA is going to play them no matter what because he leans on these guys.

Like, any stat that is trying to tell me McLemore is more valuable to the team than Tucker is wrong.

Obviously, the Rockets agree with that since they moved McLemore to the bench as soon as they could and play Tucker the 2nd most minutes, obviously, MDA thinks Tucker's value to the team is really high.

And also, no one is denying CP3s first year in Houston, so that's not surprising. His 2nd year in Houston got him off of the team though, if he had played like first year CP3 he'd still be with the team, hell, we'd probably have a championship.

I think it's also silly, tbh, to compare CP3s Net Rating from his two years to Westbrook's. They played on different teams and as the blog above explains, having better teammates (Like Ariza) could have improved his net rating.

4. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Your boy can't create seperation at will anymore. Its just facts that defenses can key in to the midrange junk and everyone knows he's not going to the rim. Guess who can still create seperation at will? Russel Westbrook can do it all day anytime anywhere. Let's chip in and get this guy a Cp3 Okc jersey he can rock while his team is getting rolled in round 1

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I'm fairly certain very few people here would want CP3 gone if his contract was half of what it currently is. People act like we got rid of him because he was a problem or wasnt a great fit. No, CP3 was an excellent/perfect fit for us WHEN HEALTHY. But we need someone who can play the regular season and play through the finals, CP3 wasn't the guy you could count on for that.

Easy and hakeem94 like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

omg seperation? no way. dude can't even make wide open dunks. all that seperation and dude shoots less than 25%. so awesome. okc isn't winning a title so what. they're a playoff team where most of you thought they wouldn't be and now they're loaded with future picks. their future is looking pretty good for them.

LosPollosHermanos and HP3 like this.
  7. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Well your team does have a bright future if they don't trade the wrong players again I will agree with you there. But you know presti will send them goods to htown just when we need them the most. Have fun with cp3 he can't get to the rim anymore to even try to dunk let alone miss one.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

couldnt' careless. it's certainly better than a brickfest. thank god harden is here to make up the difference but how much longer does he need to drag him along before its just too much. lets find out

HP3 likes this.
  9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Jesus jumped up Christ. Deflect. Deny. Repeat. Deflect. Deny. Repeat.

McClemore playing less minutes MIGHT have something to do that our guard rotation features Harden, Westbrook and Gordon. Maybe?

Tucker being leaned on despite declining returns....MAYBE because we have ZERO power forwards worth a damn and he’s the best option we have? Maybe?

I do agree. It’s easier for lower minutes and smaller role players to pop, positively or negatively, in net rating. But that does not excuse Westbrook. The thing about max money is once you get it, you don’t get the luxury of excuses anymore. 38 mil is supposed to perform even in adverse situations.

Nothing about CP3s actual on court production led to us moving on from him. His on court production in both years here were, like I said, light years better than Westbrook has shown thus far. And the cast role players last year were worse than the cast this year.

Westbrook was dropped into the same role that CP3 had. Be the 2nd guy to Harden and lead the 2nd unit when Harden sits. I think comparing how the two have done in that role is perfectly reasonable. Not a 100% apples to apples comparison, but it isn’t 100% night and day difference.

CP3 flourished. Westbrook has cratered.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dude, look at the blog I posted about it, I got this from a reddit post from the official account for the sports reference site.

It is WRONG to compare CP3s net rating on a completely different year to Westbrook's net rating now. It's just flat out wrong. Yes, Westbrook is dropped into the same role (KIND OF, Russ actually runs a faster tempo offense when he's alone) but they run it with DIFFERENT PLAYERS. This isn't even how these stats are supposed to be used, especially net rating, NBA.com's net rating is a team focused stat.

Ariza was so good that we've been searching for his replacement ever since, CP3 had that rating with Ariza, a high paid three and D guy and he was still very good at the time. We also had Nene playing a lot more minutes who was also good and Ego and Prince Luc, we had better role players that year because everyone was a decent defender.

We can't say that now, Bmac can't defend, Rivers is an alright shooter, EGO's been hurt, we didn't have a backup big until Hartenstein started to play, we don't have the 3 and D wings like Ariza and Prince Luc...

But I'm made to believe this is a fair comparison? Even while you are comparing a full season to not even half because you are so ready to condemn Russ to being a crappy player?

And now you even believe that Tucker's value is also accurately represented by Net Rating?

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So here we are.

YOU were the one who said we must be fine/better because our team net rating this year is better than last year. NOW you are saying it’s wrong to compare different years.

YOU were the one who said you care more about team results than individual. NOW my TEAM oriented stat isn’t a useful evaluator?

How about these TEAM results...

17/18
    Team net rating : +8.4
    Paul’s net rating : + 13.2

Meaning playing the way he plays in the role he had he ELEVATED our team. I fully agree that this season the role players were far superior to what we have had last year or this year. Regardless of style of play or teammates Chris Paul ELEVATED our TEAM play. And even recognizing the superior teammates, isn’t a net rating over THREE times better than what Westbrook has mustered at least something to consider?

18/19
    Team net rating : +4.8
    Paul’s net rating : +8.3

Meaning once again. Playing his style in his role he once again ELEVATED the team. The role players this year are very similar in quality to this current season.

19/20
    Team net rating : +5.0
    Westbrook’s net rating : +3.9

Meaning he is LOWERING the overall net rating of the TEAM. I’d argue the role players this year are better than last, you could say no but there certainly isn’t some HUGE difference and some of these guys are the exact same Paul had. He plays a different style, this doesn’t mean his role is different. The result of the style in which he plays his role is all that matters.

Westbrook has been fine when surrounded by the ideal players. He has been really bad outside of that. Paul was an elevator no matter who he played with. Westbrook is paid to be an elevator no matter the grouping. He doesn’t get to play with only the guys that make him look good. It just doesn’t work that way.

12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

we only just got our 2nd unit intact 3 games ago...........

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We were injury free last year?

Rivers and House were here all season?

News to me.

Excuse. After excuse. After excuse.

14. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i think you are forgetting just how trash the rockets were to start the season, cp3 included.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

looks like youre forgetting the rockets started the season with knight, melo, chriss, ennis, mcw who were all meant to be the rockets role players.

but this team the rockets are currently fielding finished 20-5 and top 5 rated on both sides of the ball. let us know when this team finishes with that kind of run. that's step 1. lets see how far it gets

jordnnnn likes this.
  16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

so its ok to use that excuse for paul but not westbrook... got it

the first 20 games chris looked like he had one foot in the retirement home, roster be damned. he looked slow AF and terribly out of shape.

i will easily take this years team over last years.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? what excuse? do i see the likes of those players on the team right now? wb is playing with the same players in that span mentioned in the previous post. like i said let us know when they reach that kind of span while being rated both elite on both sides of the ball.

and that's you. I definitely wouldn't

18. icewill36

icewill36 Member

uhm eric gordon ? so no, he hasnt had the same players. its also a new system and players to get to know, but hey i guess that doesnt matter either right ?

ok so go jerk off to highlights of last year's embarrassing end to the season when your god chris paul didnt feel like it was all that important to actually try to be productive to win games.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

so let us know when they have that kind of span once again.

and you can jerk off to bricks. your post is stupid. don't get all upset bc not everyone is nut riding and being a boot licker. if you want to throw shade, don't be surprised to get called out on it.

20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

you are boot licking chris paul who failed us miserably last year. if you dont like the roster, then go find a new team to support and take your BS off this forum