1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ricky Gervais @ Golden Globes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by omgTHEpotential, Jan 11, 2016.

1. omgTHEpotential

This was his best one yet.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Dont agree. His target audience isn't the people in the room with him, it's the people at home watching. Hes not trying to piss off any of the folks at home.

Hes also humbling a group that's needs humbling.

Yung-T, Downtown Sniper, Nook and 8 others like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

No ****s given.

Falcons Talon and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

Brilliant.

Loved the calling out of the crap Hollywood produces these days. Very few quality films and so much superhero crap.

Also enjoyed him calling out the self-righteous hypocrisy and Leonardo Di Caprio being a perv.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Awesome.

Nook likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I just don't understand how any of us can call out Hollywood for making crap movies, when "we" globally keep making that the most profitable option for them. Give the people character development and good writing, and mostly, they stay home. We are part of that problem.

I have the same reaction to all of us complaining about the media. They provide what sells. Nothing more or less.

Richie_Rich and Nook like this.
  7. tallanvor

CNN's numbers are in the toilet and going down yet they keep pushing the same material. Hollywood's ticket sales have been going down for awhile, though im not sure bad material is the reason.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I skip all the superhero movies and there is still plenty of great film out there, just look for it

Disney made 7 movies that made at least 1 Billion this year

I am a Donut and jiggyfly like this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

I mean, I feel like individuals can ridicule Hollywood for making these terrible movies. I'm not part of the problem. I can't control what other people are willing to pay for. I do not pay to go see these awful movies. The stories are cringy, the writing is cringy, the acting is cringy... it's just all so bad. I would/do pay to go see good movies. I find myself going to see fewer and fewer movies every year. They just aren't making very many good movies and instead are just pumping out crap like Thor 8, Aquaman 3, Charlie Angels Redux and Fast and the Furious 17.

Unfortunately, the masses don't have very good or discerning taste and are happy to pay money to go see that junk.

TLDR - I can't control what the unwashed masses go and watch; I can only control myself and I will continue ridiculing.

10. HTM

HTM Member

I do look for them. There is a reason Gervais made that comment and it rang true. There is a dearth of quality films being made.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There isn't a big enough eyeroll emoji to use and Clutch might ban me if I posted as many as I wanted to.

This is such a ridiculous thing to say.

12. HTM

HTM Member

Eyeroll all you want.

If the major studio's are responding to popular demand and market forces and that popular demand and those market forces are getting them to keep making horrible movies, then it's true.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

I watched the entire monologue. I think it's safe to say that it will be the most watched and talked about moment of this years Golden Globes.

It was fantastic. Loved every minute of it and how uncomfortable the room felt.

Before last night, I had heard of Gervais, but never watched his stuff before. Last night he gained a new fan in me.

AroundTheWorld and whiskeyred like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why are you bringing this stuff in here?

And CNN's numbers are not actually in the toilet and the box office has been up the last 2 years.

Why are you wrong about everything?

Eric Riley likes this.
  15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Check out his Netflix show After Life and any of his stand up.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I was all prepared to say Gervaias was being sanctimonious and trying too hard but he nailed it.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

sounds like you dont see many movies

18. HTM

HTM Member

He has a guest star appearance on Season 8 Episode 6 of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I watched it the other day and thought he was great and then this Golden Globes thing bubbles up.

19. tallanvor

because bob brought up the news channels

relative to the two other news networks they are.
    [​IMG]

https://www.statista.com/statistics/187073/tickets-sold-at-the-north-american-box-office-since-1980/. Nobody looks at this chart and thinks movie ticket sales are trending up

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member