1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I disagree on the part where Karl Rove is objective.

Also, I am definitely prone to biases. I also don't trust people who say they aren't and have a long extremely partisan posting history. And yes, I do have a partisan posting history. I'm willing to admit it because I'm self-aware and not posting in bad faith. You might be self-aware, but probably aren't posting in good faith.

Nook, JayGoogle and KingCheetah like this.
  2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Julian Castro is out.

Julian Castro Ends Presidential Campaign: One Day We'll Win

Julián Castro, the former housing secretary under President Obama, said in a video released Thursday that he would end his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination.

"I’m so proud of the campaign we’ve run together. We’ve shaped the conversation on so many important issues in this race, stood up for the most vulnerable people, and given a voice to those who are often forgotten," Castro said in a four-minute message released by his campaign.

"But with only a month until the Iowa caucuses and given the circumstances of this campaign season, I've determined that it simply isn’t our time," he said. "Today it’s with a heavy heart, and profound gratitude, that I will suspend my campaign for president."​

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

if Trump wins in 2020 the country is REALLY gonna want a Democrat by then

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Booker, Gabbard, Steyer, Delaney, Bennet, Williamson, Patrick all need to go now as well. Just waisting people's time and money.

B-Bob and MojoMan like this.
  7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The Iowa Caucuses are scheduled for February 4, which is four weeks from Monday. I suspect you will likely see your wish granted within 48 hours after that.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Why would you think that?

If the Democrats completely rethink their ways by then, maybe. But with their current mindset, why on Earth would rational, responsible, freedom loving people want that?

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

we'll see

MojoMan likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

party swings after two-term presidencies since 1972:

https://www.ft.com/content/5ccc4c8c-aa5c-11e6-809d-c9f98a0cf216

In the modern period of US presidential politics since 1972, every time one party has held the presidency for two terms, voters at the subsequent election have shifted en masse towards the opposing party, and 2016 was no different.
    Not saying this is a definitive prediction, but I think eight years of Trump would doom just about any Republican running in 2024

JuanValdez likes this.
  11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The last time we saw three presidential terms in a row from a single party was Reagan. They key is to not follow Trump with another GHW Bush (Romney, Jeb, Kasich, etc.). Then there could be even more than three terms in a row this time.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

to paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen: "I knew Ronald Reagan. Ronald Reagan was a President of mine. And you, Donald Trump, are no Ronald Reagan."

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

As far as what Trump has been doing and accomplishing, he is in the process of eclipsing Ronaldus Maximus in no uncertain terms.

These are truly amazing times that we live in. They really are.

14. Nook

Nook Member

LOL With Bernie Sanders "All aspects of economic production and income are property of the state. In return the state provides citizens with their basic necessities, including food, housing, medical care and education." ............ $51 TRILLION over ten years...WOW!

If anyone is wondering the estimates for 10 years of the Trump "tax cuts" is 5.5 trillion...... if you believe Yang's numbers, his UBI would be 24 trillion dollars...... so roughly 1/4 of the actual cost of the Trump tax cuts...... that comes to about $3,000 per year for every adult in UBI if we were to spend the tax cut on UBI..... for a family, that is $6,000 a year or $500 a month..... the money would go to actual people and not corporations.

I cannot see the Trump tax cut or what Comrade Sanders wants to do lasting long at all. I could see what Biden and Mayor Butt wants possibly happening.

I don't think people realize what a grift the Trump "tax cuts" are and how incredibly radical Sanders is.

joshuaao, Os Trigonum and Corrosion like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Terrible candidate. A self serving egoist that is not remotely qualified for national office.

16. Nook

Nook Member

This.

2024 would likely be a blood bath...... it could also result in the senate and congress having democratic majorities.

A lot of the Trump support is from Baby Boomers...... not to be morbid, but a lot of voters will be dead by then and more younger voters will be on the roll.

Parties ALWAYS adapt to stay competitive, but the Republicans likely will not while Trump is in office.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not only that , the tax cuts are two part - business and personal. The business cuts are permanent , the individual cuts have an expiration date.

Nook likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

One point I have to make - people / voters tend to become more conservative with age.

As for 2024 predictions - I got nothing , I don't even know what to expect in 2020 with Trump being so polarizing but the economy appearing to do well.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wait. This was something to disagree about? LOL. I guess I am missing out. :D

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

For anyone still waiting for Hillary Clinton to jump into this contest with both feet and declare her candidacy, those hopes took a hit today, when Mrs. Bill Clinton was appointed to be the new chancellor of Queens University Belfast.

Hillary Clinton named chancellor of Belfast university

Former US secretary of state and presidential candidate Hillary Clinton was appointed Thursday as the new chancellor of Queen's University Belfast. Clinton will serve for five years in the largely ceremonial role, the Northern Irish institution announced.

"It is a great privilege to become the chancellor of Queen's University, a place I have great fondness for and have grown a strong relationship with over the years," Clinton said in a statement. Clinton received an honorary doctorate from Queen's in October 2018.

The chancellor's duties involve presiding at degree awarding ceremonies, representing Queen's in an ambassadorial role and advising the university's executive. Queen's is one of the oldest universities in the United Kingdom.​

Of course since this is largely an honorary position, she still could perhaps still serve as president of the United States on the side of these new duties. So maybe not all hope of her throwing her hat in the ring is lost just yet.