1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you believe we can win a title with small ball 3 guard rotations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the development of the youngsters
    Is our best shot. Which is why I worry

House BMac Clark Hartenstein and Clemons

I think house and BMac can get better and be more consistent

Need Clark or Harty or both to make the next step

If Clemons can come in an give some solid shooting.

I am mainly looking at Clark and Harty though. They got to step up, be taught, get experience or something.

Rocket River

jcmoon, s3ts, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  2. MystikArkitect

If they give a solid defensive effort yes they can.

I just dont think they will.

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is always a possibility, but relying on House or EGO in at forward/3rd guard in our starting rotation doesn't give me much hope. I just can't see it with the lack of defense in a playoff series

4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hard to do when MDA won't develop them.

BasketMAD, kjayp and juanm34 like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. This is the truth.
    Most of this board are constantly looking at other teams players with lustful zeal

We cry about letting the Covingtons go.....but neither we nor the team appreciated them here.

It seems the rockets and rockets fans want instant pro ready players or none

Harry's g league performance says he ready for more weight.
    If we put him on the block tomorrow...I say there would be suitors.

Rocket River

BasketMAD, Blurr#7, kjayp and 3 others like this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think we need 1 more rotation player that has some size

but i also think we need to see Gordon back. If he comes back in good form it will take us to another level. WB and harden will both give him the ball.

If we can find a 6'8"+ athlete that can play into our team defense and shoot then we will be golden.

Right now our need for that guy is exacerbated by PJ playing 40mpg. Look , im a huge rest PJ guy .... but even if i can admit that it might not hurt us in the short run ... we do eventually have to get PJ some rest. The days of playing 36 mpg for a 34-35 year old for 82 games are over. Everyone gets banged up , but you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage ( both from risk of injury and from gradual wearing down) vs the other teams that have strategically rested their best players.

I know clark isn't great, he might not even have a high ceiling, but he should be playing more now just because we need to do a better job of not making PJ play these 40 minute games.

I say this because as we've seen , PJ can play 40 and we win and PJ can play 40 and we lose ... by double digits. It seems to me that MDA should try to change his strategy every now and then and maybe in games when we are hurting for lack of hustle and effort and a spark or a made shot .. that you could try one of the young guys and see if they can bring it ?

jcmoon and kjayp like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Let's hope William Howard can fit the bill.

jcmoon likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Short but right to the point. MIC dropped!

10. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Bad boy Pistons use to use 3 guards and a 6 foot 10 center who could shoot in Bill Laimbeer. It can be done but the guards Russ , James and EG have to be lights-out

s3ts and BaselineFade like this.
  11. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Ridiculous question when teams like the Warriors have been doing it sense forever.....

D-rock likes this.
  12. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Do people here realize the playoffs are a different animal? You're not seeing %100 full blast defensive effort thru 4 quarters during the regular season. It's never been like that, you'd have teams with dead legs or injured by game 40 of the regular season.
    We've show we can play with the Clippers, lets see how we look against the Lakers before we write off the season.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA has begun to make clear dunks irrelevant.

D-rock and Blurr#7 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hard to accomplish, the Worriers could play 4 quarters of decent bball on both ends, the Rox have not been able to do that consistently over all 4 quarters incl. Playoffs.

BasketMAD likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought of them as well . . . .

Rocket River

bj3175 likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Going out all night every night is why Stockton and Malone are ringless
    They never had another gear in the playoffs

Rocket River

Blurr#7 likes this.
  17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

It would be easier if we had some more length in the front court, but I think having two legit stars gives us a CHANCE against anyone. As long as you can compete anything can happen but you have put yourself in position to be successful. We need to get as high of a seed as we can. We saw health play a huge part in someone other can GS winning a title last year. But they put themselves in position by not packing it in when they went to down 2-0 to the favorite Milwaukee bucks. There is no guarantee any of these teams you might think are better are going to be healthy or stay healthy throughout a series.

I believe James in the greatest offensive force in the game. The amount of focus teams have to give him alone gives us a chance against anyone. They HAVE to leave guys open to try and keep him in check. All these double teams are just giving our guys more and more reps against it to better prepare us for the post season. We are going to have a full season of this come April/May. I think our confidence can only grow.

I like what we do on defense. We are NOT a bad defensive team. There is room for improvement but the scheme is sound. It seems most of the problems defensively come when Clint heads to the bench. We need a legit back up big but they are probably saving Tyson for this role. I think if we can get to top 10/11 like we were a couple of years ago that will be enough if our offense reaches its full potential.

We don’t have the same balance as other teams, but there is still a chance. What we lack in size we can makeup for in speed in our back court.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Sure. Even if undersized, if we actually gave effort on defense we'd be fine.

19. s3ts

s3ts Member

I was thinking about this the other day, and how we, by choice, decide to stick with multiple HOF guards instead of nabbing someone with almost the same skills but in a different position....

The track record shows that we can win a lot of regular season and playoff games. But the elite defensive teams can and will figure out a way to stop the offense if the dynamic offensively is 3s and layups...

My guess is that we just end up replacing MDA next season. Then maybe we'll see some changes.

roslolian likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not really a size disparity it's a talent disparity. Lebron is the MJ of this generation and he has probably the MJ of the new generation on his team as his sidekick.

No big guy Morey can get will be able to handle AD in the first place. Thats why you stick with Tucker cuz everyone is a mismatch to begin with.