1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russ has been bad - but he also hasn't been given a chance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Dec 4, 2019.

1. foggy94

foggy94 Member

We were told this summer that Russ would flourish with more shooters to spread the floor for him. He hasn't been given that opportunity, and so far the results have been bad. He's isolating more than he has since NBA started tracking playtypes (24.3% frequency this year, compared to 18% last year), and he's also taking more pull up 2 pointers. We're not putting him places to succeed, we aren't even "nudging him towards more efficient areas" like the coaching staff politely put it in the pre-season. We're putting him in WORSE positions, and he's taking WORSE shots.

However, one thing to note, is that he also hasn't been given that opportunity we were promised, to have floor spacers.

Consider this. These are the top 5 players Russ has shared the court with, with Harden OFF the court.

Rivers (144 minutes)
    McLemore (80)
    Gordon (78)
    Tucker (78)
    Thabo (64)

Only PJ has shot well of those 5 this season. The other 4 are combined for 31% on 305 3pt attempts all year.

Now a couple of other things to consider. With Russ on and Harden off, House's eFG% is 78.1, PJ's is 75 and Clint's is 72.2. All three would lead the league by wide margins with those numbers.

There is a pathway there for the 2nd unit to be successful. If we get Gordon and House back, if we have them in the 2nd unit more with some PJ minutes too, Russ will have that chance to thrive with a spread floor. We've already seen their shooting percentages in the small amount of time they are together increase massively. We just need to have them on the court.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. But the experiment is still inconclusive until we actually see it.

bilaal14, RudyTBag, FLASH21 and 12 others like this.
  2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Yup.

The pieces have to fit perfect around Westbrook.

When healthy we are still a really good team, though not a contender. But then we weren't going to be one with Paul either so we might as well face the music and figure how we can improve than have 100s of posts about Chris Paul, when the fact of the matter is harden wanted him gone!

It's the NBA and any team can beat you when two of your best players are injured.

I'd rather just focus our energy over how we can improve than cry over spilled milk all day.

jojolover and TRIQSTER like this.
  3. gotsis

gotsis Member

Still have no idea why we don't call screens for Westrbrook, I imagine a simple pick and roll would open up his game and give him a easier time on the floor.

amaru, True Rocket, fattz and 5 others like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I care less about the shooters around Russ and more about how his isolation have gone up. RUSS IS NOT AN ISO PLAYER. Russ hasn't been given a chance because MDA continues to use him like he is James Harden and he is not.

If you run plays for Russ and stop letting him play like he is at the YMCA, I suspect he would be better.

it's so frustrating watching this dude Iso when he has no Iso game.

amaru, fattz, BasketMAD and 8 others like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol at now blaming the system to why westbrick isn't a good fit. the same system cf's wanted to use to justify why he would be better here. my how things change quickly

he was never a ideal fit to begin with. what you're seeing is exactly what was likely to happen. the only person that can change that is westbrick himself and just being a smarter player. realize his horrible weaknesses and adjust. 1. having a broken jumpshot. 2. being incredibly inefficient. 3. adjusting your game to your strengths and weed out everything else. he has never done this in his career. that's his problem. no matter what teams do or who he plays with, he plays the exact same way. its no wonder his bball iq is as low as it is.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm starting to think nobody can really play in this system except for Harden and LeBron. It almost replies purely on individual talent.

Wasn't Dan Tonio known for his PnR plays, why is WB isoing so much

amaru, BasketMAD, gotsis and 6 others like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

KD and Kyrie could probably do it too, but they might be to slight to hold up to the rigors of being the whole offense. They have the skills though.

It takes so much individual talent to be a whole offense. Russ is blessed physically, but he does not have what it takes to be a whole offense.

Just give Russ a gawd damn pick every time so he can use his speed to get a bucket or create for someone else. Why is that so hard?

jojolover, fattz and rockets11206 like this.
  8. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

100% get him a mismatch like we did for cp his first year and let him create. Done with his iso

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nobody can play in this system? What. Just about anyone fits in this system with the exception of maybe Westbrook, Jokic, and Simmons.

This isn't a system issue, its a Westbrook is terrible issue.

Blatz and D-rock like this.
  10. astros123

astros123 Member

lmao he shot 30 times yesterday. He wasnt given a chance LOL

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

people who have low bball iq and have broken jumpshots as perimeter players don't fit the system. that's been obvious but they traded for westbrick anyway

what's worse than anything, westbrick doesn't want to accept his jumpshot is so broken. he gets baited by teams night in and night out to do what they want him to do. Just so his pride can say I made a jumpshot every once in awhile. for every 5+ misses and he happens to make the next one, he's gonna let the crowd and other team know he made one. lol just terrible.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think @YOLO @DreamShook and @apollo33 are all right even though they are arguing different things.

The system D'Antoni is running right now is basically "Let the stars play however they want."

This is a particularly bad thing for Westbrook because he's horribly inefficient but THINKS he's really great at shooting. There is still a ton of spacing. I don't care what the percentages are, when Westbrook is out there the other teams guard the shooters.

I said this in the offseason. This idea he doesn't have spacing is garbage. He often lacks spacing because HIS defender doesn't guard HIM, not because they sag off the shooters. I posted screen grabs in the offseason to show this. It's still true now. Westbrook's defenders dare him to shoot and he does it.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

i agree here

14. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I'm literally saying he hasn't had a chance to play in the system because the integral players have been injured.

JVL713 likes this.
  15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Agree with this but you hope one effects the other, having more spacing means more drives, more kickouts to shooters etc.

DreamShook likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

what do other players have to do with his glaring weaknesses? those weaknesses are on him as a player not on anyone else. quit trying to blame others for his struggles as a player

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He hasn't had a chance? Really? He's had 354 chances and only made 145 of them.

BasketMAD, juanm34 and CK Johnson like this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

he's just not an ideal fit. he never was. i don't care about his change of pace. He's an athletic freak who cannot shoot or defend. We are a team that needs great shooters and defenders around Harden. His athleticism will wain and his production will steadily decrease.

you cannot build a team while giving westbrook a super max into his 30s and expect to seriously contend.

Harden chose to have his friend over to play video games. Tilman decided that was the right move.

Just don't expect a championship from the Harden era now and you won't be dissapointed when it doesn't happen. If we win a championship with Russ being paid 40 million or even seriously contend i'll be A) shocked b) incredibly thrilled to be wrong.

Russ seems like a good guy and I like watching him when he's going 110%. He's just not a championship caliber star and never was.

Remlap and TheJet like this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If you watch those pull up mid range shots you see that it is wrong to say he's dealing with a spacing issue. He's choosing to take those shots NO MATTER WHAT.

Nook, YOLO and J Sizzle like this.
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

He is choosing to take those shots because that is exactly what MDA wants if James Harden was on the court. One on one with a whole side to yourself is a guaranteed 1.5+ points for James Harden.

If Russ is by himself ISOing, someone needs to send help every time. Don't wait. Whoever is closest, give him a pick. Forget what MDA says and go get ya boy.

amaru likes this.