1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to potentially protest game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Dec 4, 2019.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes. But is replaying the game a punishment to them, or a punishment to the Spurs?

The refs not following the proper rules for permitting a review is a worse offense than a missed call on a non-reviewable play. One is punishable negligence, the other is just human error. I’ll grant that. But at the same time, it’s a mere 2 points, I don’t think that’s a big enough game changer to justify replaying part of the game. A key player being erroneously fouled out would be, because that affects all remaining possessions.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Hilarious, it happened against the Spurs lol...and they simply review it and count it, how hard is that?

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

The officials' incoherent CYA answers after the game have made this look even worse. I hope it's a slow sports news day and this gets national coverage just to put more pressure on the league to act.

BigMaloe, RayRay10, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its hard when you feel this could be a momentum changer...theres nothing more dispiriting then a good defensive play plus a legit basket being wasted...the refs are masters of recognizing and managing the momentum... its what they do.. that is how they can influence the game without being noticed or charged for rigging

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Only thing is everyone hates the Rockets. I mean they really hate the Rockets, Morey and James Harden. If this happened to the Lakers, best believe heaven and earth would be moved to California..

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the Rockets argument is that they outscored the Spurs in regulation and thus should have won the game. It's not fair to the Spurs but the Rockets are right that it should have been reviewable and so feel like something should be done about it.

I just think the refs should know good and well they made a mistake. No matter what happens, I'm pleased with just that alone.

At the end of the day, Rockets just lost this game on their own, I don't think anyone is going to argue that, but obviously I agree that the FO and Ownership should keep the league as honest as possible and even if they don't get the replayed game or the win (which I disagree with, no way should they just give the Spurs an L here) at least...at the very least, I think the next ref that argues with MDA about a call not being reviewable will think twice before doing so.

bro2044, Patience, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  7. BigTex

BigTex Member

Worst call since
    [​IMG]

8. whozee

whozee Member

Wait. You don't think 2 points in a tied game at end of regulation is a game changer?

bro2044, gotsis, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  9. durvasa

OK, fair enough. I’ll admit my initial reaction to this whole thing was wrong. The officials didn’t do their job, which is different from just blowing a call due to human error. You can’t just award the win to the Rockets, though. It have to be a replay. Or, maybe award the Rockets 2 extra points in their next game against the Spurs to make up for it?

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

nothing is getting changed, it was a judgement call on the basket interference

11. durvasa

It’s a potential game changer, but it’s 2 points with 7 something minutes left and the Rockets still up double digits. It’s not a given the Rockets would have won otherwise, though sure it’s probable (a win was probable at that point even without the basket).

12. HP3

HP3 Member

LOL, that would be such a funny way to give a big FU to the Rockets...it even has me chuckling.

DreamShook likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and people really blame Harden and mda for not having rings and even labeling them playoff chokers...and this is coming from rockets fans..what to expect from others

14. durvasa

I thought only plays on which a foul was called are reviewable. Is basket interference also reviewable?

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Caper's said it himself that it was reviewable.

Patience and DreamShook like this.
  16. durvasa

OK. And was the call on the floor basket interference or just a missed dunk? I forget. If the latter, I don’t think that’s reviewable.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Give the spurs the L or replay the last 7 minutes. What the hell is 2 points in another game going to do? This wasn't a missed goaltending call, this was a missed made bucket that wasn't even reviewed. It gets crazier the more I think about it.

fckbandwagons, Patience, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Not sure you noticed, but the game went to OT.

A mere 2pts gives a result?

Sure, it MAY have not played out the same way. But as it stands, on the balance of the ball going in the hoop, the Rockets scored 2 more points in regulation than the Spurs. The error was in the officiating not allowing the score table to ring up the points (or the Rockets to challenge)

Patience and DVauthrin like this.
  19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Who cares about being fair to the team that would have lost in regulation if the referees correctly award two points for the Harden dunk? Honestly, the NBA should have stepped in immediately after the game and awarded the Rockets the win. This isn’t a missed foul or out-of-bounds call. It’s two points that were incorrectly deducted from one team’s total during regulation. Also, if the roles were reversed, I’d be advocating for the NBA to award the Spurs the win. It’s the appropriate outcome in such a unique case.

All that said, the Rockets should never have put themselves in a position to potentially go to overtime after having a 20-point lead in the third quarter.

bro2044, Patience and RayRay10 like this.
  20. bmelo

bmelo Member

Because its true, you are cherry picking whether its games or single plays while choking is regular for couple of games. Plenty of bad calls happen during the regulation but if James was as great then he would sink one of the 3-4 game winning layups today