1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

would you take luka doncic now or james harden from age 20-30 starting now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Josh Smith, Nov 24, 2019.

?

would you take luka doncic now or james harden from age 20-30 starting now?

1. doncic now

60.7%
  2. 20 year-old harden now

39.3%
  1. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Hmmm... Would Rick Carlisle come along with Luka?

CCity Zero and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That's coming from a place of ignorance. Luca is really good but he would have to be better than Lebron(aka the GOAT) to will his team into true contender status at his age. Lebron had a hard time doing it at that age even in a super weak Eastern Conference. Luka and Dallas is going to be really disappointed in a few months if they don't pump the brakes a bit on all this "look at how great we are in a small sample size" talk. Hardaway for one isn't going to be shooting 37% from three the rest of the season like he has been or nearly 50% like he did against Houston. No doubt Luka is a superstar for the next generation, but I would say all of the rest of the title talk is just Dallas desperately trying to sell some season tickets before things start looking less rosy(Porzingis injuries, Hardaway regressing to his normal chucker self, teams start doing extreme things to stop Luka like they do with the very best offensive players, etc)

rgw20014life likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

what? nowhere is it saying the mavs are winning now. seems you don't full get what the message was, that's geared more towards their bright future. why wouldn't THJ being shooting 37% from 3. it's not far from his career average and he's playing with both doncic and KP who demand a lot of attention. it's certainly sustainable given that he now has a defined role to fill

#63 YOLO, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Mavs have a better owner and a better coach, they could be a better team very soon. How did they found this guy Luka with such skills? I do not think Morey could do it even with an opportunity over three.

5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Ehh we have two max type money players in our supporting cast w Clint and EG making big money, on paper we look like we should be better.

6. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Luka is a better offensive player than Harden is right now because he is a much better shooter and as good of a decision maker. Luka does not need to dribble nearly as much to create space. I guess him being 6 foot 7 to James being 6 foot 4 helps a little too.

7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

lets see what the mavs do. Rockets have been a top 3 team for the last 3 years and probably a top 5 team in 4 or the last 5 years with the only team standing in there way of a championship being perhaps the greatest dynasty of all time.
    Mavs still need to make the playoffs (which they will this year). so lets just relax on being envious of the mavs until they actually do something.

Stephen_A likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The problem with this whole thread is that while Luka is most likely going to be a superstar, there's no guarantees, I mean careers can get changed really fast - off court issues, family issues, injuries, not liking the USA and going back overseas etc etc. This is kind of silly since you know Harden will be a superstar, with that said, if I didn't already know the type of player Harden would become and just looking at age 20 alone without knowing future, then sure you take Luka.

But knowing what Harden has proven over the last 10 years you would go with Harden because you're guaranteed insane production, and all you'd have to do then is build the team around him. You'd be set, because at age 20 you'd still be getting some draft picks and have money around for FAs, with Luka, if he continues this production you're making the playoffs as like an 8th seed (this is assuming we're starting a franchise and the rest of the team is trash). Then to add let's say Luka does continue to produce crazy numbers he'd probably be smart to pull a lebron and team up.

Stephen_A and hakeem94 like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

THIS is the crux of the matter

Harden has had scott brooks , Kevin mchale , bickerstaff , and finally MDA . James harden probably learned more by playing with CP3 than from any of those guys

Meanwhile luka has been placed under the guidance of a Championship coach from day 1.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

lmao, good joke

Luka is a better offensive player than the guy who averaged 36 last year, is averaging 38 this year, and just averaged the most points/100 possessions in NBA history...Luka is a better offensive player than the guy that had a team consisting of Bev, Kawhi, and PG still decide to double him every possession, and he still cooked them for 37 on 16 shots

Luka is a better offensive player than Harden who carried last year’s injury plagued, scrub laden squad to the 5th most efficient offense in NBA history

I didn’t know it was comedy hour on the GARM...

CCity Zero and HP3 like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Its fine, these Luka fans.....might be the biggest dick riders in NBA history. Gee, I wonder why. :rolleyes:

CCity Zero and Reeko like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s starting to get annoying...this BS keeps up and I’ll be rooting for his demise like Russ and Giannis before him

these dudes have no respect for the greats who have been putting in work for YEARS carrying squads in the tough WC

Luka being a better offensive player than Harden right now is so asinine...the Bucks reserve a radical defensive approach for only 2 games each season...the 2 games they play Harden...it’s for a reason

BaselineFade, HP3 and CCity Zero like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Isn't the very first statement of the tweet, "Mavs feel almost like they’re in the same tier as us already"? How am I supposed to interpret that as anything other than the Mavs thinking they are as good as a legit title team right now?

As for Hardaway - when he left NY he was the worst 3pt volume shooter in the entirety of the NBA. By this time last year he was actually shooting 41% and finished the season shooting 33%(he averages 34% on his career). I'm certainly no expert on THjr but the stats seems to backup the eye test for me - that he is an inconsistent volume chucker. Certainly Dallas has a better system around him and if nothing else, Luka will have the ball in his hands more which means Hardaway doesn't have the opportunity to do the inefficient chucker things but he has to become more consistent before I buy into the narrative that he is somehow a valuable piece on that roster because so far he seems like the same wildly up and down player he always has been - he is just on the "up" right now.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah what's wrong with that in context. they're a young team led by a 20 year old, competing with a team that people want to consider a contender. Is there some kind of false line of thinking there? not really. if you're dallas, you have every reason to be encouraged with the way things are going. Even clutch touched on this.

yeah in NY they put him in a position that he's isn't suited for nor is he capable of. that's the problem. if you expect players to be something they're not, that's just asking for failure. now that he's in dallas with these two guys mentioned, he's set in a ideal role. he isn't chucking like he was in NY. his play actually means something now and provide value towards wins. Nobody should ever use NY as some credible example. it's been a dumpster fire and none of their players are playing anything close to meaningful games. it's been that way for years and years. and its a damn shame RJ Barrett is forced to suffer there. KP was a genius to gtfo of there while he could

15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately Rocket fans will have to endure this type of talk for the foreseeable future. I wont bother to post links to some of the articles that i have read today because i don't want to add fuel to this fire or trigger Rocket fans, but you could see this coming. It wont just be on Clutchfans. It will soon become a part of the national narrative. RIP Hamilton and Raja Bell (cbs sports) already declared him ready to carry a team through the Western Conference playoffs this year. The coronation has already begun, and Harden no matter what he does will slowly get weeded out of the conversation for best offensive player.

I think this was part of Doris's mission during the Rocket/Clipper broadcast as well. Not to elevate Luka but to diminish Harden as much possible in front of a national audience. If this becomes a narrative battle, then Harden and the Rockets will lose every time. This is only the beginning.

HP3, CCity Zero and Reeko like this.
  16. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Its called “discussion”. Its what takes place by fans on a “discussion board”

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Can I change your topic I want donic replace westbrooks

18. dmoneybangbang

Doncic... the taller Harden? Sign me up.

19. SummitKid83

SummitKid83 Member

Man hold up.We are forgetting a talent that luka has yet to prove he has and Harden obtains and that is DURABILITY.Im going with durability.Luka may be great now but after playing in a couple playoffs and battles let's see him maintain.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Let's discuss how much in denial you are.