1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] NBA considering re-seeding conference finalists, postseason play-in

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Nov 23, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My initial reaction is to say, “Leave the ****ing game alone!” I think the regular season is too long, and there are too many back to backs, but this could end up with some teams playing more games, not less. They have tinkered too much with the game already.

Spend more money adding another official for games, and do a better job of both grading the officials, and penalizing them immediately after they **** up a call that impacts who wins and who loses. Like last night. That ref should get fined $10,000 for not calling that timeout.

BHannes2BHonest, ak99999, HP3 and 9 others like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

• For 2021-22 season
    • 78 games
    • Re-seed in Semifinals
    • In-season tournament
      • The NBA is focused on 30-team participation that begins with a divisional group stage of scheduled regular-season games
      • Six divisional winners -- based on home and away records in the group stage -- and teams with the next best two records would advance to a single-elimination knockout round
      • Proposals exist that would compensate players and coaches for advancing in and winning the tournament
      • The NBA and NBPA are finding common ground on a post-Thanksgiving tournament window that would extend into mid-December
      • The league has been hesitant about shoehorning tournament games onto the Christmas Day schedule; they (and their network partners, including ESPN/ABC) want to make sure every Christmas game features elite teams and franchises from the league's biggest markets.
    • Play in tournament
      • Two four-team tournaments featuring the seventh, eighth, ninth, and 10th seeds in each conference. The seventh seed would host the eighth seed, with the winner of that single game earning the seventh spot. The ninth seed would host the 10th seed, with the winner of that game facing the loser of the 7-versus-8 matchup for the final playoff spot.

i3artow i3aller and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

This is kinda silly. Why don't they do best 16 records. I proposed in the NFL thread that if a division winner goes 7-9 or 8-8 and is outpaced #5 - #8 who might be two or more games better, should automatically get home-field in the Wild Card game over a mere division winner in a bad division who will probably have a weaker schedule.

But, I like it for the lower seeds, if the records are similar. But, if we are talking a 5 to 10+ game different.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This probably isn’t targeted a ton us long term folks who watch lots of games already.

Cause from my perspective.... what? And why?

But they got to keep pushing that money train forward. So I can only assume this does it. Wild card play in games should get good ratings. A mid season tournament should get red rating s than mid season games. And maybe the change attracts millennials?

napalm06 likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

how will this affect tillmen's money? we need him to save as much money as possible.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It will hurt his pockets since the league will have less money to distribute to the owners that prioritize LTS due to having to provide incentives to coaches and players that play and win the tournament?

Jontro likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I could see it happening...but you're going to get more load management.

Some guys won't play that tourney and it'll really be more for young teams that have nothing else to play for. May make the league more competitive at the bottom.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Lmao Morey licking Silver's a** at every oppportunity after that HK debacle

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

#11 J.R., Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  12. Buck Turgidson

Really like the play-in idea for the postseason. Not sure about re-seeding in the semi's, but I can see it. The mid-season tournament is a dumb idea as far as I can tell.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some officials should only be short term officals, they should go down to the Gleague.

Deckard likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i will be great if awards will be right
    say 1st round picks, luxury tax savings, and seeding advantages

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

same as some of the haters

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You want them to get more officials that can rig games? This wouldn’t help us at all, I mean they reviewed that Maclemore flagrant with a fourth official....

17. JW86

JW86 Member

How about have all 30 teams in a post-season tournament or the best 16 regardless of conference. The tournament aside from regular season seems silly. 78 games, seems really stupid and unnecessary with the record books and what’s a measly 4 games? Sorry but most of this is not going to make it better nor address the problems we’re all agreeing with.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

HAHAHAHA :D
    Tell us how you really feel...

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Trying to ensure Lebron gets to the finals. You guys do realize the NBA is coddling Lebron every time they make a rule change

Bearded13, BigShasta and clutchdabear like this.
  20. JW86

JW86 Member

How is 4 games less going to fix anything with the extra games for this bullshit tournament that is gaining serious traction.