1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John F. "Jack" Kennedy was Murdered in Dallas 56 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deckard, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

John Kennedy was murdered 56 years ago, and it's still seared in my memory. I had seen JFK, his wife, and a host of prominent Texas politicians going down Broadway in his motorcade the day before. It was the second time I'd seen him that way, and like the first, I could have hit him with a baseball, or a rock. The open limousine was that close. In retrospect, the security was woefully inadequate, but it was a different America then and security at that level for important politicians was common. It was assumed that the Kennedy/Johnson ticket would carry Texas in 1964, but the president took nothing for granted. He was scheduled to give a very political speech later on the 22nd in Austin, celebrating Texas history, the Texas Revolution, Texas joining the Union, and the state's long ties with the Democratic Party. A copy can be seen either online, or at his presidential library in Boston.

About a year before, I was at Rice Stadium, seeing him give his "Going to the Moon by the end of this decade" speech. The film of Jack Kennedy giving that speech doesn't convey just how charismatic the man was. It gave me chills. I had seen the famous 1st debate with Nixon on live TV in 1960, but seeing him in person was very different. His influence is difficult to describe. As an example that will seem silly, Kennedy didn't wear a hat for his inauguration, which was outdoors, of course, in Washington on a very cold day, and it forever changed men's fashion. A very large majority of the nation was following literally everything Jack and Jackie did. Jackie gave a tour of the White House that was broadcast live on TV, something that hadn't been done before. It was a ratings hit. Even their very young children were famous, photographed by the media whenever they were given the chance.

You felt like you really knew him in a way only FDR, in what quickly seemed a different era, could approach. The country was stunned. People wept openly, even those of a different political persuasion. The country was united in its grief. His death simply didn't feel real. That a man who came across as so alive, and who seemed to represent a new, better course for the country, was suddenly gone just didn't seem possible. There are times I look around at the country today and wonder about what might have been had he lived, or if his brother, also murdered a few years later in 1968, had lived. The country would be far different, and how different, of course, we will never know. I hope he rests in peace. Both of them.

astros123, Lurch, Xerobull and 4 others like this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

RIP...but on a different note I remember my grandmother telling me when he was killed and saw that broadcast on TV she started crying. Such different times we live in now...

Deckard likes this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

good read, thanks for sharing breh.

Deckard likes this.
  5. Roscoe Arbuckle

Pretty sure you're the only one on here who recalls this.

You should research Cuban Missile Crisis assassination.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Fatty's got a conspiracy for everything. What's your conspiracy for the climate change? A Chinese cabal in conjunction with Hollywood and the Emmerich brothers?

Deckard likes this.
  7. Roscoe Arbuckle

Ugh. You're the delusional one.

8. CometsWin

Here, watch this short 5 minute youtube video. It explains why glaciers are melting all around the world. o_O

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Newsflash: They aren't.

I don't try to pretend to know things I don't. I know finance & insurance because I've done it for 25 years. I know the farce that is "climate change" because my father was in that field for 35 years. (and yes, climate change has always been real; you just keep trying to make it about man. It also happens over vast amounts of time; not decades)

I know you didn't watch the video because you didn't look at the research.

What is your background expertise in, exactly?

Jontro likes this.
  10. CometsWin

My background is that I can read the opinions and data provided by hundreds of climatologists and scientists who study the phenomenon. Yours is apparently that you can form opinions based on a five minute video by some random guy with a degree in radio/tv.

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

Mmhmm. In other words, you read articles. Good job. (and the video is based on thousands of years of data...)

I already stated mine. Again, what is your expertise in?

12. CometsWin

I feel like I've stumbled onto the set of the 700 Club.

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

answer the question. what are you even remotely qualified in, other than reading stuff on the internets?

14. CometsWin

I try not to post personal things about myself on the internets such that angry drunk posters don't try to use it against me. That kind of behavior gets really ugly. o_O

Houstunna likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

my source is teh pr0nhub and hundreds of memes over the past 2 decades.

ThatBoyNick, Deckard and arkoe like this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Further proof you can’t have anything nice in Dallas.

Carl Herrera likes this.
  17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Got it.

Again. What is your expertise?

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I like the cut of your jib, sonny. Tell us more (not sarcastic).

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm kind of amused that your "expertise" in climatology is "my daddy is a scientist."

My father was a lawyer, but I don't use that as proof of expertise to put up my shingle and start offering legal services. That would be a pretty f***ing stupid leap of logic to make.

fallenphoenix and arkoe like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Should I change the title?

“JFK Died Yesterday and is Climate Change Real?”

By the way, I visited glaciers in Switzerland in the mid-‘60’s, 1971, and in 1982. Much later, in 2016, my SO and I visited Switzerland. The melting of the glaciers, disappearing fast, is shocking. Simply shocking. They are still trying to estimate the long term impact on the rivers and streams of Europe after they are gone. That, and the climate. I am not a scientist. I can only go by first hand observation over a period of many decades. In 1971, the lower glacier at Grindelwald, a famous Swiss resort that the Eiger looms over, was a beautiful blue. There was a wooden plank walkway across part of its face that you could walk on, drilled into the ice. I walked on it. Now it is all gone. The image below is an example of what’s happening in much of Switzerland.

[​IMG]

This is where there was an amazing glacier at the top of the valley of Grindelwald not that long ago:

[​IMG]

#20 Deckard, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    cebu and No Worries like this.