1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ok boomer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 29, 2019.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Do Boomers even care about the latest phrase on the internet?

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

jcf likes this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

Unfortunately they destroyed Facebook like 8 years ago. Facebook is now probably majority boomer. They are all over the internet and are so constantly.

Even here.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...Old man pretending to be young man who mocks young man who hates old man who wants to be young again.

No matter what you try, Bob, you're not going to "connect" with your students.

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Did their children put it on facebook 2 months ago?

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://spectator.us/ok-boomer-most-important-meme-generation/

‘OK boomer’ is the most important meme of my generation
    It works in a similar way to a can of mace or a rape whistle
    Jarvis Dupont
    [​IMG]
    Jarvis Dupont

November 13, 2019
    11:01 AM

‘What the **** is that on your head?’ a repulsive white man called out to me from a shop doorway as I crossed the street towards him. He was standing with a couple of other men. All white. All of them in their thirties at least. Wishing to remain civil, I graciously replied, ‘It’s a top-knot, or semi man-bun. First implemented as a popular hairstyle in Japan during the Edo period.’ The uncultured wretches all scoffed visibly at this enlightening nugget of education I had gifted to them with no request for recompense. ‘Haha this hipster prick thinks he’s the ****ing Karate Kid!’ retorted one of them as the rest mocked and jeered. I winced inwardly at his foolish statement. ‘Actually, the top-knot is more of a Samurai tradition,’ I corrected him and carried on, walking past them until their asinine ignorance was behind me. ‘Yeah whatever, Bruce Lee…’ came another predictably moronic riposte accompanied by a ripple of animalistic snorts.

For a moment, I considered correcting him yet again with the information that Bruce Lee was in fact Chinese and as such had nothing to do with ancient Japanese customs, but realized that would only be another waste of my own valuable breath. No, I had tried to be polite but it was clear that these vile bullies deserved only two more words from me. I stopped walking. Slowly I turned, their snide grins faltered slightly as they appeared to detect a change in my attitude. One by one I fixed all three of them with a steely gaze, opened my mouth and said: ‘OK, boomers’.

The effect was immediate. Their mouths fell open in gaping shock. They staggered backwards, clutching at each other as they tried desperately to maintain their balance against the shockwave of my devastating put-down. I displayed no remorse as I gazed upon their panic and their pitiful confusion. As I stood my ground they continued to back away from me. The ripples of my words felt almost tangible in the air around me. Eventually they seemed to gather their bearings. One of them looked as if he was going to say something, but his friend quickly grabbed him by the arm and turned him away as they hobbled pathetically down the sidewalk and into a nearby alleyway. As I watched the last of them disappear around the corner I nodded to myself, turned around and set off for home.

If it were not for the OK boomer meme, I shudder to think what might have happened that day. If I had been unarmed, I may have been forced to simply put my head down and walk away from them, their cruel jibes resonating in my delicate ears. Thankfully this was not the case, I was prepared. In my view ‘OK boomer’ works in a similar way to a can of mace or a rape whistle. A formidable yet comforting phrase we can keep with us at all times for protection against bigotry. It’s also thankfully extremely versatile. ‘Boomer’ doesn’t have to refer only to those born during the baby boom era. It’s much more than a mere label to describe a point in time. ‘Boomer’ is a state of mind. Very much like ‘gammon’ in the UK is used to dismiss anyone with opposing viewpoints ‘Boomer’ is a powerful weapon, and as Uncle Ben told Peter Parker: ‘With great power, comes great responsibility.’ Use it, but use it wisely.

Was my reaction to those men too harsh? Perhaps. Was it necessary? Almost certainly. Will they be likely to underestimate a hipster with a top-knot again in their lifetimes? I think not…and to anyone reading this who is unable to grasp the importance of this cultural phenomenon, I can only say this: OK boomer.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Nerve touched.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"LET'S GO GET SOME BUTTER HONEY, CAUSE @Os Trigonum IS ON A ROLL TODAY!"

FranchiseBlade and KingCheetah like this.
  10. KingCheetah

Science Channel program America: Unearthed and Decoded says the honey we enjoy today is made by bees from Europe -- I bet they didn't come here illegally!

11. KingCheetah

The conservative radio host Bob Lonsberry went as far as labeling the word "boomer" as "the n-word of ageism" ... Furthermore, he stated that "being hip and flip does not make bigotry ok, nor is a derisive epithet acceptable because it is new".[17]

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

npr piles on

boomers don’t like being dismissed

13. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

“[Young people] are high-minded because they have not yet been humbled by life, nor have they experienced the force of circumstances.

They think they know everything, and are always quite sure about it.”

Rhetoric, Aristotle
    4th Century BC

“The beardless youth… does not foresee what is useful, squandering his money.”

Horace
    1st Century BC

“Our sires’ age was worse than our grandsires’. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.”

Book III of Odes, Horace
    circa 20 BC

https://historyhustle.com/2500-years-of-people-complaining-about-the-younger-generation/

14. Nook

Nook Member

Every generation enjoys the fruit of prior generations. There is nothing magical about Boomers nor anything especially unique about Generation Y.

Boomers still often worked long hours, and they often times lived through Vietnam as well. Every generation has it's struggles.

This idea that Boomers have magically destroyed everything is absurd.

Life isn't easy or everyone would be rich and happy. Life isn't fair either....... we do the best we can.

The Boomers I employ work far harder than the millenials. However it very well could be small sample size or it could be that in general older people work harder.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly not really.

It could be that I am not a Boomer so other than my parents (who are extremely progressive) I don't have too much contact with Boomers other than those I have hired to work for me.

I hear some comments, but in my social circle I hear far more complaining from the millenials.

It could be because I am around more Millenials and Gen X people than Boomers.

If I don't watch television, I have limited interaction with Boomers and am surrounded by mostly women and people in their 30-40's... that could be part of it.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and follow the news in written form, and through friends abroad.

When Jess and I go on trips they are usually overseas and with people that tend to be quite open minded.

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

17. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Generational hate is how powerless people blame other powerless people for the problems created by powerful people.

We want to blame someone we can see and communicate with, someone we can shame and insult, while the powerful people responsible for the problems are pleasantly far away from us and feel no need to acknowledge anything we say.

Saying 'well the people in power are BOOMERs' is the same line of logic as saying: all cats are mammals, and therefore all mammals have claws.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is staring to feel like AstroTurf to be honest. This phrase literally didn’t exist two weeks ago. The NYT posts a story and it’s everywhere. But who would want to promote the stupid phrase ‘OK Boomer’?

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

whatever boomer

20. Buck Turgidson

People say "ok boomer" but people never ask is "boomer ok?"

[​IMG]

London'sBurning likes this.