1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

WOJ: BREAKING Westbrook to Houston for CP3 & Picks!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep. The NBA wants precise measurement of players sitting naked in a bath tub. :D

2. TilmanFinancialWindfall

So was it Tilman or Morey that made this trade??? CP3 is saying Morey said stabbed him in the back by saying he won't be traded. But everyone in the media reported that Tilman made this trade and Morey didn't want to trade CP3. Which story is true?? And is Tilman actually cash flow broke???

"

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Morey probably told CP3 he wouldn't be traded, under the assumption nobody would take CP3's contract. Tilman forced the issue and made Morey find a solution.

CP0 is a fool thinking he wasn't a trade asset. He should have known he was and would always be on the trading block.

4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

OMG did this really happen? Why am I just hearing about it now?

5. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Makes sense. Didn't think any one would take cp3 contract and give up a mvp

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"stabbed in the back."

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Either he's very oblivious as to who was the real driving force behind the trade from the Rockets side or he's trying to make Morey look worse because y'know...NBAPA president + China revenue + LeBron's buddy stuff

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Rockets fans felt stabbed in the back when a guy who can play max 55-60 games per year agitated for his full $160,000,000 extension and murdered our cap flexibility in his age 33-37 seasons.

DrNuegebauer and steddinotayto like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

It is simple and Morey already addressed this.

Morey told Chris Paul that the Rockets were going to listen for offers but he did not expect a trade to happen.

Morey said Chris Paul was very professional about it and said that was fine.

Morey then told Chris Paul that he surveyed the league and he did not anticipate Paul would be traded.

Then the Paul George happened. Harden reached out to ownership and the front office expressing interest in Westbrook and said Westbrook was open to a trade to Houston.

Daryl Morey made the phone call. He had hoped to add a third player to Paul like Butler and tried to find a way to keep Paul and trade for Westbrook and it wasn't possible.

The Thunder wanted more than the Rockets could offer but eventually backed down.

Ownership was informed of the trade demands and wanted Paul dealt for Westbrook. (this part is not from what Morey said) and so Morey made the deal.

Paul felt he would not end up long term in Oklahoma but the Heat and Thunder never worked out a deal and Paul didn't want to take a massive paycut on a buyout.

So here we are........... and it is completely reasonable for Paul to be upset. He is spending the last good years of his career on a non contending team. Likewise Morey didn't do anything wrong. He told Paul he did not anticipate a trade based on the information available at the time. Also, what is Morey supposed to do when ownership says to make the trade?

10. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly it really isn't as bad as the headline.

He said Morey didn't owe him anything....... and he likely doesn't know who was pushing for what behind the scenes.

This was inevitable (statement)... a Hall of Fame player was dealt to a bad team.

HP3 likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I might be misremembering....but I thought I read some quotes from a Tim McMahon article that CP3 "understood if the Rockets wanted to go younger" in terms of him being dealt. This is close to after the playoffs. And Morey said they weren't looking that way. I think this was from the *tension* article.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

McMahon did say that. you are right.

However I also remember Morey saying that the Rockets let Paul know that they had had discussed trading Paul but it wasn't going to happen..... I don't think anyone knew Westbrook was going to want to go to Houston.

Deuce likes this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Ariza felt stabbed in the back when CP3 took all of his money. Instead, Ariza doesn't bring up private baggage on national tv the next season.

Whatever, we all knew how vocal CP3 is and his connections in the league. I said at the time of trade, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he made a whole mini-documentary about this trade and if he ever got the chance to work on TNT, he'd rip on the Rockets whatever chance he got (like Barkley used to do when Les owed him money).

Also, we all know who makes the shots around here. The owner and James Harden. Morey does a bit of tinkering here and there but all the big FA signings/trades (since Harden got here) have all been because of Harden and whoever the owner was at the time.

Space Ghost and s3ts like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If he was stabbed, it was Tilman and Harden who pushed it. I don't think Morey really wanted Westbrook over Paul.

Nook and YOLO like this.
  15. s3ts

s3ts Member

He can go ahead and blame himself for becoming one of the biggest albatross contracts in the league.

Reeko likes this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I actually think he does, like pretty much everyone at this point.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, aside for all the reports about how James wanted Russ here, it's worth to remember how Tilman was b****ing with other executives about CP3's contract, the "i know what we have to do" by James followed by the rumors about him and Chris not getting along, i mean...and fwiw, i was also curious to see if James and Chris were going to have some sort of interaction when we played OKC, and unless i missed it, they didn't, they straight up ingnored each other, from the start to the end of the game, where i saw PJ and Clint (if i remember well) having few words and a handshake with Chris, but James went straight in the lockeroom.

Easy likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

This is flat out false. God man, i cant believe you continue to post this nonsense.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

And who is also washed as a player...

How we got out of that dud de after just 1 season is a miracle

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theundefeated.com/features/...eing-shocked-by-rockets-trade-i-love-to-hoop/

[...]

Paul was traded by the Houston Rockets to the Oklahoma City Thunder in July. While the nine-time All-Star describes his stint in Houston as two of the best years of his career, the Rockets suffered another playoff disappointment last season and Paul heard the rumors that he could be traded to Oklahoma City. Still, Paul expected to remain in Houston considering he was in the midst of a lucrative four-year contract extension. Paul told The Undefeated that Rockets general manager Daryl Morey also told him he would be returning this season. But days later, Paul was dealt to the Thunder along with four first-round picks in exchange for Russell Westbrook. The trade would reunite Rockets star James Harden with his former Thunder teammate.

“My initial reaction?” Paul said with a laugh. “I was shocked. Truth be told, I just talked to Daryl a couple days before the trade and he said he wasn’t going to trade me [to Oklahoma City]. That’s funny because that is going to be the alert that pops up on everybody’s phone because nobody knows that. But what the hell, I just said it.”

Morey declined comment on Paul, saying he was told he wouldn’t be traded to the Thunder, but sources close to the Rockets say Morey told Paul days before the trade there was a “slim chance” he could be dealt to the Thunder and that message may have been misinterpreted. Morey had hoped the Thunder would add a third team, preferably the Miami Heat, where Paul could land on a playoff contender. But no other team joined the Paul-Westbrook deal.

Morey did tell The Undefeated that he appreciated Paul’s time in Houston.

“Chris got us as close to winning a title as we’ve been since Hakeem Olajuwon,” he said. “He was a great Rocket. I wish him the best going forward. I am a big fan of Chris. I have nothing but love for him.”

It is no secret that Paul and Harden did not see eye to eye last season. Sources said the two feuded when the Rockets lost to the Golden State Warriors in the second round of the 2019 playoffs. Paul acknowledged that he and Harden “haven’t really talked” since he was traded.

“It’s life. It happens. It is what it is. But I wish him nothing but the best,” Paul said.

[...]

The Thunder are currently 8-11, and Paul could miss the playoffs for the first time since 2010. But losing has not been the hardest challenge for Paul since putting on a Thunder jersey. Rather, for the first time in his career, Paul is playing away from his wife, Jada, 10-year-old son Chris Jr., and 7-year-old daughter Camryn, who moved back to Los Angeles this offseason. Paul said his daughter took his departure particularly hard, although FaceTime has helped. The Thunder have also allowed Paul to sneak back to L.A. regularly. He was with his family during Thanksgiving.

While Paul said he doesn’t want a “pity party,” he definitely misses his family and said others have offered support. Former Rockets teammate Trevor Ariza told Paul his departure was “temporary” and San Antonio Spurs guard DeMar DeRozan also offered advice. Paul said he pinpoints dates to look forward to in order to help him cope from being away from his family.

“I know it can be a lot worse,” Paul said, “and other people are dealing with stuff like that. But that’s never been my normal. Me and my wife talked and we thought being in L.A. would give [the kids] some type of stability.

“I am very blessed and fortunate. They come when they can. My parents are always there. My brother [C.J.] is at every home game. The team has been amazing and accommodating so I can see my family. I go as much as I can.”

There’s no telling how long Paul will remain in Oklahoma City. Paul’s name continues to surface in trade rumors, especially with players who signed contracts in the offseason becoming eligible to be moved after Dec. 15. But Paul’s contract — paying $38.5 million this season, $41.3 million next season and $44.2 million during the 2021-22 season — makes a deal quite challenging. Also keep in mind that NBA teams are expected to try to create salary cap space for the talented 2021 free agent class.

So instead of wondering what’s next, Paul is focused on the Thunder.

“I try to control what I can control,” Paul said. “And for me, that is preparing to play every night. Doing my workout. Doing my training. Hooping.”

BaselineFade and jcmoon like this.