1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson Or Lamar Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Nov 4, 2019.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

But he's done a lot in that time.

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I get what your saying about the style of cam Newton and Lamar in terms of running the ball.

but I don’t think your factoring in that every running back who runs just like Lamar breaks down after 3-4 seasons it seems in this new nfl.

he’s a small 210 lb guy. All it takes is one hit and his running ability will be vastly different imo.

I also think his passing numbers look good because of his running ability.

I Like Lamar I thought he was a legit QB prospect coming out of college.

but imo he’s not a very good pocket passer but the scheme is making him look better than he is.

u can only run like that for so long, when that ability slows down then what?

I really don’t know if he’s a better passer than Vick you claim Andy Reid made him look good but can’t the same be said for harbaugh? He made flacco a Super Bowl winning 100m dollar man and flacco is avg at best.

I’m all about winning and right now Lamar is winning so you can’t knock him to much.

my point really was that Watson is imo a lot better QB now and moving forward over the next 10+ years.

Watson is doing things this early in his career that only HOF guys have ever done with Mahomes of course.

stats arnt the end all be all but Russell Wilson has led the nfl in TDs passing before and he’s doing it again this year. He’s also extremely accurate.

let’s assume Lamar doesn’t get hurt, but his running ability will slow down over the next 3 season maybe sooner.

will he still be able to be a top 5-10 QB in the nfl as a straight pocket passer? I have my doubts.

I don’t have doubts about Watson he’s already a pocket passer and is completing 70% of his passes for almost 2 straight seasons. Not to mention he’s low Ints and his 4K plus’s passing yards and 25+ tds every year so far.

it’s silly to think that Lamar can get better as a pocket passer and not say the same about Watson as a pocket passer. The difference is Watson is already an elite pocket passer and their both the same age. Watson is really I get looked by fans and media and I have no idea why he’s so good in the clutch he’s already reading defensive calls pre snap. These are things that take years for HOF QBs to master and Watson is already doing it thru 34 starts.

I just think Watson and Mahomes are the future of the nfl I don’t know if I put Lamar in the category just yet. Iv seen enough from the other two that barring injury they will run the league for the next decade plus.

pgabriel likes this.
  3. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Can't believe the BS I seen in this clip.. An the shots they took at Deshaun :mad:

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Any station with Jason Whitlock and Wiley please turn it. They make skip look like a genius.

5. holpcs2

holpcs2 Member

Reading through these comments, I think it's very obvious that there are a whole lot of Clemson fans who have followed Deshaun Watson to the Houston Texans and are on this thread. To support your own quarterback is one thing, but the hate on Lamar Jackson is another and there's a lot of hating on Lamar Jackson in this thread while uplifting Watson. I think there are a lot of Clemson fans with sour grapes.

6. raj87

raj87 Member

Lmao at the idea of Harbaugh being the reason behind Lamar and Flacco’s success. He’s a tryhard FCA type guy who looks like he could play the lead in any Police Academy movie. But he is no offensive guru - he was a special teams coach before he got a HC job.

Greg Roman would be the guy to point to in Lamar’s case. He has drawn up some crazy plays/schemes that have worked really well for Lamar.

Of course this takes nothing away from what he does on the field. He seems to be driven to get better every week, and there are no signs of that stopping.

Deshaun is already proven to be an elite QB in his short time in the league. The question is, does he get significantly better by this time next year?

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

our this is a Texans/houston website.

or Deshaun Watson is just better than Lamar.

it’s not a knock on Lamar Jackson by saying Watson is better than him. Because it true.

Lamar Jackson has one 300 yard passing game and it happened the first game of the season against a garbage team.

he’s had multiple games of 150 yards passing this year Watson avg almost 300 yards passing a game and he competes passes at a higher clip and he’s thrown more tds playing one less game and Watson is only 1 rushing td behind Lamar.

now Lamar has 700 yards rushing which is impressive but imo that’s not sustainable even if he doesn’t get hurt.

The way Watson plays has proven to win SuperBowls I’ve yet to see a guy like Lamar win a SuperBowl.

maybe that changes with him but we gotta see it first.

I know for fact that Watson style of play (Aaron Rodgers) can win a SuperBowl and MVPs.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I prefer passing quarterbacks to running ones any day. Runningbacks have very short careers and running quarterbacks are so much more at risk for tearing an ACL or breaking something else from tackles and hits.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Over the long haul, Watson is the far superior player. Run-first QBs, like Jackson, slow down after 2-3 seasons. Whether it's gaining weight with age, injuries (most commonly), or simply wear-and-tear, he will slow down. Just like RG3 and Vince Young. When Jackson slows down, he's finished. He lacks the arm strength, vision, and decision-making to be a pocket passer, or even a Russell Wilson-style mobile quarterback. Right now defenses play the run 100% when facing Jackson, leaving the secondary wide open and daring him to beat him with arm. In 2 years, they'll play him straight up and will stifle him. Watson on the other hand, is a good decision maker and has good arm strength. If he didn't have his wheels, he'd still be solid. Watson also strikes me as far more intelligent.

GOOD DAY

King1 and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Jackson lacks arm strength?

Here was rated second in his class. Dont know what you could be watching

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...trength-and-everything-to-know-about-qbs/amp/

BaselineFade and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    No you're right. He has a strong arm.

For a wide receiver

The dude very clearly has a noodle arm for a starting NFL QB.

GOOD DAY

13. raj87

raj87 Member

This ain’t it, mate.

TheRealist137 and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Is anyone noticing how Mahomes has taken a back seat to these two over the past few weeks?

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Because of injury but it shouldn’t be the case. These 3 are going to be good for the next 10 years imo.

Lots are saying Lamar will fall off because of hits but I disagree. He will adjust. The NFL will adjust.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well considering he was injured/out a few weeks and last week was his first week back...

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

True but before the injury he had already lost to Jackson and Watson.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

These refs should not be working professional football.

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Lamar

raj87 and holpcs2 like this.
  20. holpcs2

holpcs2 Member

Everything people were saying Watson does better than Jackson (decision making, accuracy, etc) has not happened in this game. And right and I type, Watson throws an interception. Watson has been holding on to the ball far too long the entire game, which has caused most of his sacks. That's not good decision making. He needs to throw the ball away if the play isn't there. Lamar Jackson has thoroughly outplayed Watson so far, and it's got nothing to do with the refs.