1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Curry can't function without All-Star support; May be held out for season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Remlap, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Remlap

Remlap Member

GREAT ARTICLE

https://spacecityscoop.com/2019/11/11/curry-double-standard-houston-rockets-harden/

NO, this is NOT an article from The Onion.
    Curry has been highly ineffective and inefficient this season for the few games that he played.
    Interesting how he can't function now that he's lost the 3 other All-Stars around him.
    To prevent him from embarrassment, it sounds as if the GSW brass is considering shelving him for the season?

The article contrasts how Harden joined the Rockets with minimal supporting cast and carried the team to the playoffs.
    James has been our primary scorer and focal point of opposing defenses, and STILL gets it done on most nights.

When Curry becomes the primary option, he wilts and takes his ball and goes home.
    Which one is the REAL MVP?

gatsby, CCity Zero, SLRokJok and 43 others like this.
  2. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Thanks for sharing Remlap.....but I'll just reiterate, this is something all of us fans with a modicum of sense and eyes have observed and known for some time now. Harden is the best player on the planet.....that hasn't changed in 3 years......(perhaps more....but I'm placating some here that would argue that)

juanm34, Tfor3, BigMaloe and 14 others like this.
  3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

To be fair to Curry, he is a star at what he does, he just can't do nearly as much as Harden.

I'm sure if they shut him down, they'll talk him up that much more when he returns. Like Kawhi, he can do no wrong in the eyes of the basketball media.

4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Who cares. We all know harden is one of the most electrifying, unstoppable, offensive force of the decade. Day-in-day out... ain’t no argument against that as much as people and media seem to try. The system he’s in exploiting his god-given talents all point to that. To James his load “management” looks like - who do I have to be to take on more load. Lol

HoustonTexas, Ramo$e and Stephen_A like this.
  5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I’d say this settles the “who’s the better player” between Curry and Harden. At least for me.

Steph Curry is a historic player, of course, but one blessed with good fortune and injury luck as well. In an alternate universe, he’d probably be remembered as this generation’s Abdul-Rauf...and Harden would have 5 championships with the Thunder.

6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Aren't Green and Russell all-stars?

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Zach Lowe did an article not too long ago on this topic. He believes this is why the older guys sometimes don’t respect Curry as much as some of the newer age stat heads.

Clearly Lowe is pro Curry. Even “praising” him for wanting Durant on his team during his prime years where he may have been able to better prove his ability to carry a team.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28016274/steph-curry-place-all-nba-greats-being-worked-out

Basically he believes that Harden can carry a lower end squad to being really good better than Curry could. But believes Curry is better at making a really good team great.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think that is accurate. And I count myself in there as well. Curry can't carry a team by himself (without the GRAVITY of other stars to make it easier for Curry). The MEDIA loves him. And they believe he can. Curry failing at this was about to happen and open the eyes of the media. Disappointed that situation did not happen. 4 games in and they were a train wreck.

Curry is a 2 time MVP (one unanimous). He is an all time great elite shooter. And by all accounts a good teammate. But the media VASTLY overrates him as someone that can put a team on his back the way LeBron, Harden, Kawhi, Giannis can etc. Clear difference in my mind.

D-rock, BaselineFade and Rock Block like this.
  9. mockster

mockster Member

Outside of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, in today’s nba most great players can’t win without other great players due to the fact of star stacking. This wasn't as much as a problem in the older days of nba except for a few dynasties.

Just like the golden state era, how are you gonna compete with 4 all stars?, great supporting cast, two former mvps, a sharp shooter and a defensive juggernaut.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

“Curry could average 36 ppg too if he had Harden’s usage and shot the ball as much as he did”

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

all the causals who thought that can hold this big, fat L

Curry’s own coach admitted he can’t handle a usage rate like Harden’s...Curry would break down after a few weeks if he had Harden’s burden

this dude had to carry his team for 1 game in the finals, and then after that the media couldn’t stop bringing out how much it took out of him and how exhausting it was...1 game...that is Harden’s life almost every game

Curry will miss most of the season and be spared from the embarrassment of not even being able to drag him team to a low playoff seed

11. xaos

xaos Member

I don't think I can think of a player who was more fortunate to be a part of "the perfect storm" than Curry. Of course there was design to this and give Warriors management credit for that and give credit to Curry for being a willing participant of it. But it's very clear now that people need to see it for what it is and either give Curry way less credit or give Harden way more.

Either way, when the book closes on their careers I hope that Harden is seen as the greater player of the two, even though I doubt they will.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A few seasons back during one of Curry's MVP seasons (I forgot which) there was a dropdown menu on ESPN's NBA page: Nothin' But Steph.

It's the kind of thing that makes you itch. I would hold nothing against him but for the media fawning. But this happens with bandwagon teams and the NBA and media needing a star to sell the product. When the NBA doesn't have a dynasty, viewership tends to drop because the bandwagoners stay away.

Meanwhile, Harden plays the semi-villain. Even my decent coworker, an NBA fan, the second I mention Harden: Flops! Carries! Travels!

13. macan

macan Member

biatch ass curry can't never carry a team like what Harden did. i hate that shimmy chewy mfer! *** worriers too!

14. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

Naah, current roster just don't know yet how to setup the illegal picks Curry needs to shoot around at.

15. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Michael Jordan can see through Curry when he said Curry is not a HOF'er yet.

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Somebody should resurrect all the threads that hated on Harden and talked about how Curry was the real MVP.

pr0wler likes this.
  17. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I’ve always thought Curry to be a system player. He’s the greatest shooter of all time by far, which is an exceptional skill and merit to hold but other than that, Curry is not great at anything else. He’s not a great one on one player, not a great playmaker, terrible on defense, etc... His success is a perfect storm of circumstance such as modern rules that encourage more ball movement and off the ball play. Additionally he had the perfect teammates to compliment his strengths and mask his flaws.

BaselineFade, D-rock and DrNuegebauer like this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

That's only 2.
    He needs 3 others
    Actually, maybe 4?

pr0wler, D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Jordan was actually saying he wouldn't pick Curry in his "all time" starting line up. In fact he just picked a lineup that didn't have Curry.
    When asked he said "he isn' a HOFer yet"

Curry said it was laughable.
    Really? That arrogant you think it is laughable someone didn't pick you in an all time best ever lineup? Lol@cwybabycurry

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sad thing is, it wasn't just the *casuals.* There were a NUMBER of NBA beat writers that thought that.