1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

We miss Green light more than we thought would

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Nov 6, 2019.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Initially I didn’t think much of the injury when it was announced because I thought he was easily replaceable but we miss his shooting. His consistent chucking is missed out there because it just doesn’t feel like House and Mclemore are hitting those wide open three perimeter shots despite the percentages looking good. He really was a great find and one of Morey best signings. Especially for a vet minimum. Dude played his role perfectly and was probably the most complimentary player next to Harden outside of Clint. We need more role players like that. I don’t want to see too many more Gordon dribble possessions. We’re lacking catch-and-shoot type role players for this offense. I miss that no conscious quick release perimter shot Greene gave us.

Tfor3, Riz, RustyHarden and 7 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

except we’re still 6th in offensive efficiency even with all the bricking barely behind 4th and 5th place, and we’re 6th mainly because of that Miami game

the defense is ranked 28th, and GG doesn’t help the defense

House is shooting 41% from 3 and McLemore is shooting 38% so I don’t even know what you’re talking about. How can u say it doesn’t feel like they’re hitting open threes when their percentages are better than Green’s ever was? That doesn’t make sense. McLemore does everything Green does. No, this team does not miss Green right now when McLemore is essentially Green without the H-Town reppin.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No we're not. GG just played more minutes and chunked more per minute/possesion than anyone... so maybe it "looks" like that's the case, but it's not... it's just MDA not trusting McLemore to do the exact same thing as GG, which he could do if he just left him out there more.

As just noted, the issue is defense more than offense. GG didn't help with that.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Gerald Green is one of the worst defenders in the league. Not exactly what we need right now.

SF3isBack!!, Highlyrated and xaos like this.
  5. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

McClure is a better defender than green

6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

house has been playing well. id like green over mclemore simply because he has played in so many big games before. i am not sure mclemore is ready for the big stage though he has been solid so far.

what we really need is for Ego to start pulling his weight. he has been abysmal on BOTH ends.

7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

You guys missing the point. The offense seems more fluild and cohesive with Green because he knew his role in the offense. Mclemore doesn’t be where he’s suppose to be all the time in offense and Harden is aware of this which is why he keeps talking to ppl even when we have a successful possession. A lot of our defensive issues starts from a bad offensive possession. Green isn’t the best defender but he gives high effort on that side of the floor. Miss me with the stats. I’m watching these guys play on offense and it’s not pretty at all. Free throws are saving it but it just doesn’t have fluidity of seasons past.

Just my opinion.

LosPollosHermanos and 34to11 like this.
  8. ballgame

ballgame Member

GG's 3-point shooting off the bench is more explosive. He can score in droves, he can get 12-15 points and break a game open, the other guys get theirs in the flow. More like 6-8 points a game.

mac_got_this and daywalker02 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His passion is infectious though......whenever he hits a three, it's either gaining momentum or stopping opponent's morale.

He is what you say he is though.

34to11 likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

From a points per game perspective, McLemore can give you 6-15 ppg depending if he is hot or not. I think he has been decent.

11. BenjaminChen

BenjaminChen Member

McLemore only got ONE rebound this season in his 101 mins of play.That's not the kind of player you wanna see on your team in the playoffs.
    What's Troy Williams doing?He looked half decent playing here.

icewill36 likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

he does that only on occasion...the offense is fine, the defense is garbage

I must have missed when GG was such a big presence on that end of the floor. The team ain’t missing him in any real way at the moment.

If people are watching the games and thinking that what we’ve really been missing is GG, then they don’t understand what the team’s issues have been.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

what? GG is no where near what is needed to fix the rockets woes atm. They aren't missing what he brings to this team

Reeko likes this.
  14. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

GG is one of my favorites man, and we do miss him, but he was the most replaceable guy in our rotation.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'll back you up since no one else will.

Last year Green and House combined for 10.6 three point attempts per game making 4 per game.
    This year House and McLemore combined for 10.1 three point attempts per game making 4 per game.

The difference, for real though, is that you could hand Green the ball at the top of the key and he might do something with it. Create a shot, drive, something. Ben and Danuel don't do the same things as Greenhouse on the court even though their numbers look similar.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

at best Green plays a little bit better than McLemore has been playing so far

if McLemore got the 20-22 mpg Green typically gets instead of just 14, he could easily chuck up as many threes as Green...might even do it a better percentage

Green can have that occasional game where he gets very hot from 3, but that’s about it

OP is talking about offensive fluidity, well no offense in history will be looking fluid when the whole team outside of basically 3 guys (Tuck, House, and McLemore) are shooting like Div 2 players. Rockets are also going from a tremendously slow pace to the fastest pace in the league while incorporating a player like Westbrook. Of course the offense doesn’t look as fluid. In spite of all that, they’re top 6 offensively. How’s the defense looking tho?

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

1st post huh?.. who is your alternate account?

This account doesn't feel new.

18. xaos

xaos Member

I'd pick Ben over Green any day. Green had no discipline on the court and made so many defensive mistakes each game

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That’s another disadvantage. Mclemore is an undersized Sg. Green is 6’6 and plays above the rim and gets a lot lift on his jump shots.

Is there a (shortened)nickname for Mclemore? I’m tired of typing out his name.

20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

While Green isn’t the best defender he does have years of experience with this team.

The chemistry that he has built on both sides of the floor is missed.

And personally I miss those F YOU threes that Gerald throw up and hit.

34to11 likes this.