1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Major flub on his part. But attacking our organization & brand is horse, the nonsense being written on our "environment".

Houstunna, BigM and raining threes like this.
  2. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

raining threes and jcf like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Invisible Fan, B-Bob and topfive like this.
  4. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Not bothered personally. Do you believe it was righteous that she did so in volume?

5. juicystream

She primarily covers the Astros... She lives in Houston. She is regularly in the clubhouse.

6. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

And has since scrubbed her account of those tweets...

7. juicystream

I wouldn't call it righteous, but if it didn't bother you, you wouldn't bring it up.

8. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

My point is this isn't about DV or Taubman being an *******

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The reporter says (and I’m not sure I believe this but it’s certainly possible) that if the Astros would have responded to her request for comment with an apology the story wouldn’t have run.
    I suspect the story would have run but it would be a non issue. Astros would have apologized and Taubman would have been dinged but ultimately fine.

10. elrond

elrond Member

I have to admit, I'm a bit mystified about the amount of people who evidently have a bone to pick with these couple of reporters, even to the extent of calling them names. I've read many pieces from them in the past, and they seemed ok to me. Personally, it's hard for me to understand why people find it so offensive that they are tweeting out a dv hotline #, but maybe it's just 'cuz I'm old fashioned and generally don't bother with Twitter, and I'm sure I wouldn't follow them even if I did.

I think the continued complaints about the Astros overall org are BS, but they didn't really help themselves by shooting themselves in the foot with the initial response. So unbelievably stupid, but the silver lining to me at least is that AJ Hinch seems to be a pretty good dude, or at least smart enough to know what the correct response was.

Invisible Fan, meh and B-Bob like this.
  11. fiersdownbelow

You don't support Osuna being on the team? Do you boo us in 9th innings?

12. MystikArkitect

How did you infer that from what I wrote?

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is not a good situation or one that the Astros can win against the reporters. It's not a good look for a drunk man to be getting in the face of some women. It's a even worse look when this involves a Pro-Sports team. It's an even worse look when this revolves around the issue of domestic violence. You can complain and say the reporters have had it out for the Astros Organization but that doesn't play well to people who aren't familiar with the situation and especially to people who only tangentially follow sports.

RustyHarden likes this.
  14. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I haven't followed this thread closely due to shear volume. It blew up fast.

A high level dude who helped build this team made aggresive vague taunts to an incendiary reporter in an elated drunken state. It's quite presumptuous to say he condones wife beating. Not sure many understand what makes these guys tick. He wanted to troll her and had a bone to pick. The management is cut throat and shrewd. That doesn't equate to being morally corrupt or being scumbags...

What's happened is snowballing into something much further. It's ridiculous

Houstunna likes this.
  15. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

And I think the fact that the Aroldis Chapman story has been swept under the rug furthur proves the hypocrisy of this situation. He took a glock and unloaded a clip into the floor of his garage after smacking his wife.

16. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

The Rockets twitter man was fired for posting gun/horse emojis... This is how sensitive our culture has become

17. MystikArkitect

Agreed. The more I think about it, the more I believe she baited him and he took the bait. It's just all too convenient. It doesn't even make sense that he'd say that in a game where Osuna blew the lead. Clearly there was malicious intent and she got under his skin enough to get him to react.

I dont know what happened but it just seems really weird that this guy would just go out of his way to taunt her with this seemingly random statement. Then there's the whole "visibly shaken while wearing a domestic abuse bracelet". Not saying it's what this is but kinda reminds me of a certain actor in Chicago.

RustyHarden likes this.
  18. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

1. Obviously this reporter's shtick has irked Taubman for a long time. She used her 'platform' in a way that he thought unfair to his guy, and when the chance to give it back came up, he did it, and probably unthinkingly. From her reaction, it left a mark.

2. The Astros missed their chance to make this a non-issue. During the regular season this should have been laid to rest urgently. During the World Series? My dudes, it should have been treated as code red emergency:
    3. ESPN says:
    He was an assistant GM. It's not unlikely that he wanted to be THE GM one day, and run his own organization. With success, a decade beyond that and you're promoted or hired to be an Epstein-like President of Baseball Operations. He may work in baseball again, but it's going to be very hard to make that climb somewhere else. Why?

Just win baby. With success at his back, no one would have cared about his "people skills". But now? The people who disliked him have another reason to do so, another reason to say "don't call us, we'll call you."

Someone mentioned Vick. Vick did a lot of work to get back to where he is now:

It'll be interesting to see if Taubman is willing to do something similar, or if he just walks away from baseball.

19. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I can only imagine he closely examined her livestrong bracelet before deciding **** you, wait Go OSUNA. This is social media finding vengeance for real world issues which are prevalent in all walks of life, rich or poor. This is a game. Please world leave it at that. And downside for us. He will find another job and he was by Lunhow's side. Not that it matters now

BigM and raining threes like this.
  20. raining threes

What's threatening about saying or chanting I'm so glad Osuna's on this team?