1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros vs. Nationals World Series Odds

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Stros, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Really wished JV could rest an extra day or two.

Doesn't matter what he says he needs. He said 3 days rest was okay.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't overlook the Nationals. They are the Cinderella team but there is a reason they came back and beat the Dodgers and then absolutely embarrassed the Cards. They have great starting pitching and their hitters are red hot now. You don't beat guys like Kershaw and Wainwright without having real talent.

This is going to be another tough series.

mikol13 and plates300 like this.
  3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The nationals don’t have crap on the Astros

4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

False...only degenerates are betting on individual games where the Astros are -200 and that’s what Vegasinsider and my book has them at for game 1. And game 2 won’t be any different being at home and having JV on the mound. So once again, I just don’t understand how we are -210 to win the series and every game we have at home will be around -200 and we will likely even be small favorites on the road for game 3.

The Beard likes this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

He will have four days rest (almost five) on Wednesday. Should be fine, probably anxious to redeem himself for that horrible first inning.

Htown Stros likes this.
  6. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

They beat Kershaw in game 5 when they were down in the 8th inning and Roberts dumbass left him in the game after coming out of the bullpen on short rest and getting a huge out to end the 7th.

Plus, who hasn’t beaten Kershaw in the playoffs? He has been a complete failure in the post season which doesn’t surprise me as once again the playoffs are a different beast...you don’t get to pad your stats against historically weak teams like the Rockies, Padres, Giants and Diamondbacks that’s he gotten the pleasure of facing the majority of his starts over the years. Further, being in the NL and getting three easy outs at the bottom of nearly all of the lineups you face is a huge boost...I’d love to see him come pitch in the AL East and see what his stats look like after a season.

Edit: Also you’re living in 2014...Wainwright isn’t good anymore. He’s 38 years old and has been trash for four years now. Go check out his numbers...

Edit #2: I forgot they started Wainwright in game 2...that's pathetic. For those too lazy to go look at how he has been the last three years, in 2016 he had a 4.62 ERA in 198 innings, in 2017 a 5.11 ERA in 120+ innings, a 4.46 ERA in only 40 innings last year and a 4.19 ERA this season. While ERA isn't the best stat to use, his peripherals aren't any better...

Oh and the Cards game one starter, Miles Mikolas, was a career minor leaguer that finally broke through at age 30 last year with the Cards and he boasted a super impressive 4.16 ERA this season (once again it wasn't just bad luck). So like I said...the Cards suck. If anything it helps us just like it did the Yankees playing the Twins and getting to hit off starting pitchers who were Uber drivers earlier this season...

#46 Htown Stros, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    DavidRocket likes this.
  7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Not making excuses for him, he was horrible and his pitches were all over the place that inning, but that crowd was absolutely wild after the lead off homer by DJ and they were facing elimination...it was going to take a masterful start to shut them down.

Fortunately he managed to last 7 innings and keep the game close so that they were forced to burn up their good relievers again...may have made the difference with Chapman who didn’t look like himself last night and was hanging a lot of pitches.

solid likes this.
  8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Yeah, I know.... "full" rest

Still think a day or two extra would behoove him. Nobody is 100% this deep into a season, and he's pushed the envelope.

solid likes this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He was so worn out, he retired 20 of the last 21 batters he faced including 8 strike outs. He was absolutely key with respect to the saving the bullpen for last night.

Htown Stros likes this.
  10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Let’s be confident after 4 victories. I hope the team is hungry and not overlooking this team. I highly doubt they are.

Offense needs to get to their bully.

solid likes this.
  11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

He basically lost the game in the first inning.

I'm not saying put him to sleep, just an extra day or two wouldn't hurt.

Did you enjoy my "5, maybe 6 games" prediction last series ?

Stros should beat the Nationals in fewer than 6.

Htown Stros likes this.
  12. Roc Paint

The nationals do present a challenge, but they are not as mighty as our Astros

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They did lose the game in the first inning. Pitchers have bad innings. Verlander was clearly not in need of extra rest based in the entirety of his effort. If he doesn’t pitch on normal rest Wednesday, he goes two extra days before pitching and they lose what little advantage they may have with Greinke then not getting to hit in Washington.

14. Roc Paint

....And you can take that to the bank

15. Major

Major Member

Unless you think very little of the Astros offense, down by 3 in the first inning is not game-over.

Htown Stros likes this.
  16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

True, it's unfortunate how things played out.

Things could still fall together though.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Hence the word, "basically".

I do think smaller of the offense in its current state though. Hopefully it blasts this next series.

18. Major

Major Member

Astros scored 8 runs in the game before that one. And 6 runs in the game after that one. Yankees were down 3-0 in the 1st yesterday and managed to tie the game. Verlander did not remotely "basically lose the game" in the first inning.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Not trying to be a downer. Just trying to keep focus. Start looking past teams and you lose.

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Obviously I agree it wasn’t over but I think do think it took the life out of us to some degree and it gave them the confidence/momentum they needed with the crowd as loud as I saw in the playoffs this year for them. It also took pressure off Paxton who undeniably has great stuff - don’t think he would have gone 6 if he had been 2-1 or tied.

Houstunna likes this.