1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Harden a hypocrite for groveling to China for the $$?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Oct 7, 2019.

1. amaru

amaru Member

Good catch, I completely missed that in my initial response (Long night of studying). Poverty hasn't always been the default state of black people globally. The poverty you currently see is largely the result of years of oppression, slavery, and colonization (sprinkle in some corrupt puppet leaders as well). The richest man in recorded history was a BLACK MAN by the name of Mansa (Sultan/Conqueror) Musa Keita. Musa was so wealthy that it is hard for historians to quantify exactly how much in today's dollars he'd be worth. To give a brief history, this man ruled over the Mali Empire in the 1300s. At that time the Malian empire controlled the majority of the salt trade. Mansa Musa had so much wealth that when he made his pilgrimage to Mecca the gold bars he distributed as a sign of goodwill destabilized the economy of every single region he passed through. To correct this, Musa bought back his gold at a huge loss.

I know Senator won't give a damn because it doesn't fit his narrative, but here is a link to Mansa Musa Keita's story: https://www.ancient.eu/Mansa_Musa_I/

#101 amaru, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    JayGoogle likes this.
  2. mockster

mockster Member

I still think this pertains to rockets, his opinion may be political but it’s still on topic to this current discussion which is pretty political and already has 4+ threads regarding it in this board topic. As you should know basketball can be very political at times.

it involves harden, morey, rockets and Chinese fan base, it may be political as are many rockets topics but it’s still very on topic as the political section is more for off topic and gongs not pertaining to the rockets.

I would also agree and call Harden and others a bit of hypocrites, how can you fight one suppression but yet ignore another even if it doesn’t directly effect you, it’s still ignorant. It wasent that much of a generalization though your just making it into a racist comments because a large majority of black athletes were outspoken about the he issues, not all but enough to generalize to an extent. Not everything has to be racist spec when it’s okay to generalize on just about everything else spec in the context and understanding of what he was saying.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, I don’t think your post makes any sense at all, not in relation to @Senator’s intent.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

oh please...nobody was talking about Hong Kong until 3 days ago, now we got all these social media and online activists

Where was everybody at a week ago, a month ago, or even 2 months ago to denounce China?

most people don’t care about something unless it directly effects them...atrocities happen all over the world, and people always pick and choose which ones they want to care about...but yeah, let’s continue to single out black people :rolleyes:

Steve Kerr always got something to say when it comes to politics, but it’s been crickets from him...

Mr. Space City likes this.
  5. mockster

mockster Member

I love harden and the Houston organization, I typically feel like athletes and people in general should stay out of politics but as you stated it doesn’t stop Kerr or pop from doing so among many others. It appears you only care when it doesn’t fit your agenda or a player you admire.

In this particular issue it mostly just pertains to harden, as he’s been this advocate on other issues of human rights but when it comes to money he blantly tight lipped and apologetic even though the situation in Hong Kong is a huge human rights issue.

Your point is pretty invalid, where was the outcry for human rights for blacks in the 50s?, just because the issue is just now popular doesn’t mean it’s not worth mentioning. I wasn’t aware of Hong Kong issues until recently, but that’s completely irrelevant anyway to the context of hardens decision to apologize for something that’s not apology worthy

“Sorry my GM feels bad for Hong Kong civilians who are literally fighting for basic human rights”

6. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Don't really care because I'm ready to see Westbrook get seven or eight triple doubles.

Really wanna see Westbrook tramble Jordan's consecutive triple double streak with maybe twelve games in a row with triple double.

7. mockster

mockster Member

It made sense

I think the senators intent is mostly pure other then the generalization part but I completely get what he was saying

to me this is mostly a James harden issue rather then the whole nba. I’m not aware of any other players are in the same boat but it is rather hypocritical to say one issue isn’t important because it’s another country then to see others say immigrants matter because of the governments oppression even though it’s another country. So you either have the same standard overall or none at all and it appears money is the key reason for tight lips.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

What are all these issues that Harden has been an advocate for? Name them all...

U think Harden, who doesn’t seem to care at all about politics, is truly informed about Hong Kong? No, he’s not.

No, my point is perfectly valid. Your post was the one that was invalid and filled with nonsense. People are aware of Hong Kong because China started blowing up Morey’s tweet, and a result, it started affecting something here in the U.S. (the NBA). If China had done nothing and didn’t start flexing on the league, then the situation in Hong Kong, something that was going on long before Morey’s tweet, would’ve continued to be just a footnote that nobody talked about. Now all of the sudden everyone is a huge activist. There’s a reason everyone is talking about Hong Kong all of the sudden. It’s not like the situation over there started on Friday, and then Morey tweeted about on Saturday. It had been going on long before Morey’s tweet, but because it wasn’t affecting anything over here, it got no coverage and most people didn’t care.

then OP comes with this BS that u defend talking about his intent was mostly pure...

Every African American millionaire athlete likes to villify the police and complain about America, the country that pays them millions, yet stay silent about China because they won't get paid if they do so.

Most athletes don’t get involved in politics. Every black athlete is out here complaining about America? Really? Where is the outrage at Kerr for not saying anything? He’s the one always getting involved in politics, not Harden who just wants to hoop. Miss me with all this nonsense.

Mr. Space City and HP3 like this.
  9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Harden can have his own opinion and harden has the freedom to apologize if he feels comments were offensive to fans.

10. mockster

mockster Member

1. whether he is informed or not doesn’t matter, he’s choosing money over everything else, it’s not my fault that he’s not educated on the issue which you have no idea whether he is or isn’t

2. my post made sense it’s just that you didn’t like what it said because you can’t accept some of the facts in it

3. It’s not my fault or anybody else’s you choose to live your life in a bubble, I’ve known about the Hong Kong issues weeks before moreys tweets, cnn along with other news outlets having been reporting this situation for some time now, pretty much daily. It’s a pretty big deal, and it’s pretty new [in Hong kong] this isn’t some little story that would’ve been kicked aside if it wasent for morey, obviously it was escalated due to China’s response [at this point throws a bigger tantrum then trump]. It may have not been a story on this forum and nba but others were ontop of this well before this.

4. I can agree that sure lumping every African-America athlete for ignoring the issue is probably not worded as political correct as others demand these days but I get what he was saying. A big majority of black athletes in nba and nfl are very outspoken about political issues except for things like this when it means losing money. If I were him I would’ve lumped nba and nfl in general as a whole because you are correct pop and Kerr are also part of things like this and they aren’t black so I can agree with you on that aspect without a doubt.

I don’t think his intention was pure racism as many others would like to assume as I understood what he was saying.

Although my personal opinion I think this is more of a just James harden issue but it’s clear to say athletes in nba are being tight lipped even though it’s been put to their attention and nba realm now but that could change.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I asked u to tell me all these political issues Harden has been an advocate for. U didn’t. Name them or admit u were talking out of your ass.

Yeah, it does. If he’s not educated on the matter, then his apology comes from a place of ignorance, and if u think that Harden really knows all that’s going on in Hong Kong then I have a bridge to sell u.

Facts? Lol, good one.

Yeah, u knew about it, but many didn’t or weren’t that invested until an American entity started getting affected and a battle started over the right to free speech. That’s facts. The amount of social media activists I’ve seen in the past 3 days who were nowhere to be found just a week ago is astounding.

Worded politically correct? No, it’s just flat out wrong. A big majority? Do u know how many athletes we’re talking about? How many people in the NBA alone do u know who are outspoken on political matters? Out of the hundreds of black people that are in the NBA or NFL at a given time, how many of them are constantly speaking on social issues? A big majority? Lol, no...

singling out black people when we got dudes like Kerr and Pop saying nothing is ridiculous

oh, and u clearly don’t know who OP is

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/nfl-racial-crimes-that-dont-make-the-news.301218/

he is using this thread to further his anti-black agenda...don’t kid yourself

jcf and Mr. Space City like this.
  12. mockster

mockster Member

1. Yes a large majority, how quickly you forget “locking of arms” “kneeling in the nfl”, shirts, outspoken superstars. I would say a big majority. I mean really cmon?. Whole teams would kneel and it was politically motivated, actions speak louder then words. We all know what their message was.

2. Harden is mostly low key but he did rock some shirts for police brutality incidents and had a few minor outspoken moments, which I’m completely fine with

3. Once again you don’t know if he was but I highly doubt he’s that ignorant to not know and regardless he prolly shouldn’t apologize if he didn’t know, his mistake or opinion not mine.

4. No your wrong, many were invested. It appears once again you live in your small bubble. People are just invested because basketball fans keep up with basketball related news. So yes the basketball community is now invested and overall added to the flames but many were invested and aware of the ongoing Hong Kong protest for some time.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

jcf and Mr. Space City like this.
  14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This was off and SHOULD NOT BE POSTED HERE. I dont come on this sight for politics and I dont give a **** what you think about Hardens. Just when I thought the full on idiots have calmed down on this site Morey has awoken the idiotic political racist monsters on this site. fun

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Guys were kneeling in the NBA? Oh, that’s news to me.

Name all these outspoken moments from Harden. U still haven’t. I’m waiting...

once again, if u actually think Harden is knowledgeable about the HK situation, I have a bridge to sell u...I’ve already posted on here that he should’ve just said nothing

HK activism is at an all-time high right now because China blew up Morey’s tweet and started a fight with the NBA and freedom of speech

I provided evidence to show what OP’s real intent is behind this thread, but u can close your eyes and think his intentions are “mostly pure” if u want to and keep trying to justify trash statements like this

“Every African American millionaire athlete likes to villify the police and complain about America”

Mr. Space City likes this.
  16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Pick one. There's literally PLENTY to choose from

17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

But you said "ALL". Which implies all african americans think alike. Michael Jordan the biggest athlete EVER, doesn't fit any of the false stereotypes you just made up. Shaquille Oneal is a actual cop himself lol. You seemed fascinated w/ singling out black ppl

18. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Yeah, I'm hoping he spoke up in an attempt to help Morey, with Morey's knowledge. I could see him hoping that his clout could help smooth things over.

Mathloom likes this.
  19. Senator

Senator Member

You seem threatened when I hold everyone accountable to the same standards . . . don't be intimidated by reality.

I single out hypocrisy of all forms, obviously those who cannot handle an honest opinion are going to play the victim here when it is clear hwat is going on.

20. Mr. Space City

Black men get thrown under the bus for everything. Even stuff that has nothing to do with us. :(

vlaurelio likes this.